[SOLVED] File manager that shows total size of subdirs in detail view?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

[SOLVED] File manager that shows total size of subdirs in detail view?

Post by Larry78723 »

Is there a file manager that displays the actual size of a folder's contents in MB rather than the number of its' contents that can be used with Mate 19.1? If not, is there a command line tool that can accomplish this?

Thanks in advance
Larry
Last edited by Larry78723 on Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: File manager that shows total size of subdirs in detail view?

Post by athi »

In Caja file manager, right click on location in right pane and select Properties from context menu.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

I have looked and as far as I can tell that out of all the many file managers available for Linux not a single one has this obvious and basic feature. It is one thing that has frustrated me with Linux. Before I switched to Linux I was a long time Mac user and the MacOS file manager has had this feature since the late 80's.
A few years ago I posted a feature request on the Nemo developers Git hub asking for this ability and while there was some support mostly what I got was a bunch of asinine hand wringing that such a feature would be too demanding on system resources to have. Of course this is nonsense since the MacOS was able to calculate folder sizes gracefully on a 33mhz CPU.
For what ever reason Linux file manager developers seem absolutely dead set against implementing this simple and extremely useful feature.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

Double Commander does it if you press F1 key
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

Thunar shows that with "Properties", and the "du" command can show that, including descending the trees;

Code: Select all

$ du -d 2
5216	./install/firefox_addons
4	./install/temp
240200	./install
4	./temp
20	./vid
9572	./mp3/Test_tones
9584	./mp3
1740	./wads/temp
10708	./wads
4	./pix
-d 2 = just go to depth of 2.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 »

Thanks, athi. Really simple but never noticed it before.
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

In Nemo I click on Properties for the folder to get the size.

I too find it annoying that it's not automatic when listing folders.

I'm from the Amiga days and my choice of file managers has always been Directory Opus, works great in Windows but unfortunately they have no plans for a Linux port.

I've tried Double Commander a few times and end up deleting it as I can't get it to show the OS partition, shows all the other partitions, Windows, Ubuntu, Data disk etc but not the one it's installed in.
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Larry78723 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:47 am
Thanks, athi. Really simple but never noticed it before.
You are welcome. There are a lot of information and tools in the Properties tabs, I use it for quick changes to folder permissions and sharing.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
Boca
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boca »

I use Disk Analyser from the System Tools menu to achieve this.

Tony
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

LogMan wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:57 am
In Nemo I click on Properties for the folder to get the size.

I too find it annoying that it's not automatic when listing folders.

I'm from the Amiga days and my choice of file managers has always been Directory Opus, works great in Windows but unfortunately they have no plans for a Linux port.

I've tried Double Commander a few times and end up deleting it as I can't get it to show the OS partition, shows all the other partitions, Windows, Ubuntu, Data disk etc but not the one it's installed in.
Don't have a problem with Double Commander. Shows any partition/directory that the user has permissions for.
ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Double Commander, but not automatically. Alt+Shift+Enter needs to be pressed at least with the version in repos, F1 shows About dialog.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

Think about the time required for that calculation. My notebook has only a little SSD, just one terabyte. Nemo requires 111 seconds to count the files and space used by my home directory. I do not want that overhead in Nemo.

Nemo does remember the property after the calculation. The second display is instant if there are no file changes. I deleted a tiny file in my home directory and displayed the properties again. Nemo had to recount everything.

You could start Nemo at boot time and count in the background but then boot and application startup would be slower plus every file update would trigger a recount.

You could use a file system that stored that information in every directory node but then every file update would trigger an update up the directory chain.

Disk Usage Analyser is faster. I presume the difference is the programming language. Disk Usage Analyser is probably written in a real programming language and the Nemo file count is probably written in Python. If this is the case, investing in a rewrite of that part of Nemo could solve the speed problem.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

ColdBootII wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:06 pm
Double Commander, but not automatically. Alt+Shift+Enter needs to be pressed at least with the version in repos, F1 shows About dialog.
Yes - that is correct.
Sorry - I went into settings and changed the keyboard shortcut.
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

Petermint wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 pm
Nemo does remember the property after the calculation. The second display is instant if there are no file changes. I deleted a tiny file in my home directory and displayed the properties again. Nemo had to recount everything.
It doesn't remember, actually, but the kernel had the previous file accesses still cached.
Petermint wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:04 pm
Disk Usage Analyser is faster. I presume the difference is the programming language. Disk Usage Analyser is probably written in a real programming language and the Nemo file count is probably written in Python. If this is the case, investing in a rewrite of that part of Nemo could solve the speed problem.
Leaving the "real" aside, Nemo is written in pure C, while Baobab is written in Vala, which compiles to C. Unless you rebooted between speed tests, you cannot compare the values due to caching.
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] File manager that shows total size of subdirs in detail view?

Post by Petermint »

It doesn't remember
In Nemo, you can exit the properties display and open it up again to see the previous count. The count remains until you change directories or change the directory contents.
Unless you rebooted between speed tests, you cannot compare the values due to caching.
I rebooted then ran Disk Usage Analyser. Disk Usage Analyser used 25 seconds to count the directory space. I then immediately used Nemo to display the properties of the same directory while taking advantage of the cache. Nemo used 181 seconds.

I reboot and ran them in the other sequence. Nemo was exactly the same without any disk usage cached, suggesting Nemo does not use cached data. Disk Usage Analyser used only 10 seconds in this test, suggesting it uses the cached file system data.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

Petermint wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:00 pm
Unless you rebooted between speed tests, you cannot compare the values due to caching.
I rebooted then ran Disk Usage Analyser. Disk Usage Analyser used 25 seconds to count the directory space. I then immediately used Nemo to display the properties of the same directory while taking advantage of the cache. Nemo used 181 seconds.
That's a crazy long time for Nemo - I wonder if there is something in your Nemo config causing the difference. For me (enumerating circa 131,000 / 755GB of files) on my external HDD data disk and testing after a reboot each time Disk Usage Analyser, Nemo Properties and du -s --si /path/to/dir are all in the same ballpark - roughly 30 to 35 seconds.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

My 800 GB directory has 479,000 files.
coyote2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coyote2 »

It pains me to hear that no Linux file manager has the OPTION to display a column which displays folder size.

(I know there are separate utilities for this but it's important to me not to have to use a separate program. As for the performance argument, an optional feature wouldn't degrade anyone's performance who didn't want it to; and even on an ancient PC I am eager to accept the performance impact.)
clarkdv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by clarkdv »

I'm a long time Mac user and I just installed Mint 19.3 on a PC that previously had macOS 10.13 on it. The argument that folder size calculations are too CPU intensive are hogwash. The macOS ran great on this same hardware, no reason Mint couldn't do the same AND give folder sizes. This one simply makes zero sense, but I dig Mint otherwise.

Return to “Newbie Questions”