file system media folder essentially empty?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
elmarts
Level 3
Level 3

file system media folder essentially empty?

Post by elmarts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm a bit confused. I see all my partitions under /mnt with the usual long alphanumberic string labeling them. But under /mount I thought I was supposed to see my partitions with their labels (that I give them via the disk utility), but they are not there. All I see are 2 folders: one called under my username called datafiles (empty) and one called root, which I cannot enter. Shouldn't I see the user friendly partition folders here?
- Elmar
Dual boot win 7 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.0.0-20-generic x86_64
MATE 1.20.1

djph
Level 1
Level 1

Re: file system media folder essentially empty?

Post by djph » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 pm

As far as I understand it (because I don't use 'disks'), if you mount things from there, they get stuck in /mnt.

"/mount" sounds like something you created on your own.

"automounts" (e.g. plugging in a USB Key) would typically be added as "/media/username/drive-uuid-string-here"

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Larry78723 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:00 pm

Are you talking about partitions on a second drive or other partitions on your boot drive?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:14 pm

elmarts wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:49 pm
Shouldn't I see the user friendly partition folders here?
You can change a mount point in the Disks tool by clicking on a partition in question, then on the cogs icon, and finally on Edit Mount Options... Make sure that User Session Defaults at the top is not checked, but that Mount at system startup is.

Note that while you can mount your partitions anywhere you want, if you're using Timeshift and you did not mount them under /mnt or /media, then you will usually want to manually add the mount point as an exclude filter in Timeshift's settings. Otherwise Timeshift will include it in its snapshots and potentially fill up the partition you store the snapshots to. That happens quite often around here. ;)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Newbie Questions”