No Option for burn to USB. Need Help. SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Janesdf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Option for burn to USB. Need Help.

Post by Janesdf »

Hi Athi, I clicked the drop-down menu numerous times for each of Rufus, Yumi, and Live Linux Creator. No USB option, and I looked carefully.

Thanks Moem for the support. I appreciate it. At least I have another six months or so before MS ends support of Win 7. I'm looking forward to being done with Windows once and for all.

Have a good evening and thanks, again.

Jane
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Janesdf, you are welcome. Never had issue like that with any image burner before, oh well, never a dull moment with PC.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Janesdf wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:15 pm
Hi Athi, I clicked the drop-down menu numerous times for each of Rufus, Yumi, and Live Linux Creator. No USB option, and I looked carefully.

Thanks Moem for the support. I appreciate it. At least I have another six months or so before MS ends support of Win 7. I'm looking forward to being done with Windows once and for all.

Have a good evening and thanks, again.

Jane

I'm beginning to suspect that you have a bad USB stick. What is the partition table of the USB stick and has it been formatted? How did you initialize this stick?
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

tenfoot wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:45 pm

One solution which hasn't yet been mentioned is to buy a DVD or thumbdrive on which Linux Mint has already been installed.

Point your browser to: https://www.osdisc.com/products/linuxmint where you will see that a DVD will cost you $5.95 and a thumnbdrive $14.95. Doling it this way should remove all the hassles you are having and renew your faith :D
if you do live in the USA then that would be an good option, & more hassle free, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Real quick, what brand and what size is that USB stick? Have you formatted it?
Janesdf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janesdf »

"Real quick, what brand and what size is that USB stick? Have you formatted it?"

It didn't occur to me that it could be the USB stick as I have never had problems with it before. I did format it. It is a PNY Attache USB 2.0 Flash Drive, 32GB/ BLACK (P-FD32GATT03-GE). I previously used it for storage. I just moved a folder of music to it and I'm listening to it now, no problems. I don't know if that would make a difference.
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

Janesdf wrote: ... I clicked the drop-down menu numerous times for each of Rufus, Yumi, and Live Linux Creator. No USB option, and I looked carefully.
I'm not familiar with those applications, but did you try UNetbootin that I mentioned?

You'd select the ISO file and the USB drive in the lower half of the interface.

screenshot2.png

Joe
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Janesdf wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:39 am
"Real quick, what brand and what size is that USB stick? Have you formatted it?"

It didn't occur to me that it could be the USB stick as I have never had problems with it before. I did format it. It is a PNY Attache USB 2.0 Flash Drive, 32GB/ BLACK (P-FD32GATT03-GE). I previously used it for storage. I just moved a folder of music to it and I'm listening to it now, no problems. I don't know if that would make a difference.
Some of these older PC could be finicky about the larger USB drives. If you have smaller USB you can use those, only need 4Gb USB for the ISO.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

that is also, an good point, about those older machines,
& is another reason to recycle your older & smaller usb stick(s).

as well as re-stating the idea of buying an usb stick:
https://www.osdisc.com/products/linuxmint
is the obvious choice, as well.

and jane, if you don't wish to buy an packet of DVDs, then you could just buy the Single DVD, instead.

:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Janesdf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janesdf »

I've already ordered blank DVDs, just waiting for them to arrive. However, I do have an 8gb usb, my next smallest usb is 2gb. I will give it one more try with the 8gb USB. If it doesn't work, I will just wait until I receive the DVDs.

I have not tried netbootin, but I'll give it a try.
Janesdf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janesdf »

It worked, and then, it didn't.

I downloaded UNetbootin, followed all of the steps using my 8gb usb stick, the "Startup Device Menu" appeared during the boot while tapping F12, with four choices, one being USB (Yay!), so I chose it. I chose Linux Mint, and then there were a # of OS (I think) choices, two of them being OEM. Apparently, I took too long to look over the list before the OEM for MANUFACTURERS started to install (I guess that is the default). So, while going through the steps, there was the option to go BACK, then QUIT, then SHUTDOWN which I chose so I could start again. I just restarted my computer, continually tapping F12. The USB option is no longer in the Startup Device Menu. Instead of four choices, one being USB, there are now just three choices, none being USB.

What happened?
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

Janesdf wrote: It worked, and then, it didn't.
Congrats on getting the USB drive up & running. :) As to the Startup Device Menu, know that's a function of your computer, not LM. You might want to check to see if you can get some documentation for more info on that, but it sounds like you're having success bringing it up via F12.

As to why the USB option was there and then not there, I can't say. Did you have the USB drive inserted when you started the computer? Recommend that you try again by powering off the computer, inserting the USB drive, then power up the computer, and do your F12 routine.

The OEM for Manufacturers generally isn't the ideal option, and I know that was selected by mistake. If you've not done so already, have a read of the Linux Mint Install Guide.

And if there's anything important left on your old Windows installation, be sure to have backup copies for safe keeping, for all the reasons you can't think of. :)

Joe
Janesdf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Janesdf »

I tried again, however, based on Rocky's and Athi's suggestion to try a different usb drive, my 3rd usb had not used before to install Linux. It worked! Apparently, once I use the USB the first time, if I try a 2nd, 3rd or 4th time to install using the same USB, the USB option does not appear in the Device Menu Setup. This usb is also a 32Gb.

I went ahead, formatted and did a full install of Linux on my hard drive. Windows 7 is now gone. I still have my main Win 7 pc which I will use until I am comfortable with Linux Mint.

The Linux Welcome Screen says Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaella Cinnamon 32-bit is installed. My pc is a 64-bit. Does that make a difference?

I will explore the different features of Linux Mint. I'm so excited now that it is finally installed and I'm looking forward to playing with it! Thanks again for all of your help, but I will be back with more questions if I can't figure it out on my own.

Have a great day! Jane
athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Janesdf wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:54 pm
I tried again, however, based on Rocky's and Athi's suggestion to try a different usb drive, my 3rd usb had not used before to install Linux. It worked! Apparently, once I use the USB the first time, if I try a 2nd, 3rd or 4th time to install using the same USB, the USB option does not appear in the Device Menu Setup. This usb is also a 32Gb.

I went ahead, formatted and did a full install of Linux on my hard drive. Windows 7 is now gone. I still have my main Win 7 pc which I will use until I am comfortable with Linux Mint.

The Linux Welcome Screen says Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaella Cinnamon 32-bit is installed. My pc is a 64-bit. Does that make a difference?

I will explore the different features of Linux Mint. I'm so excited now that it is finally installed and I'm looking forward to playing with it! Thanks again for all of your help, but I will be back with more questions if I can't figure it out on my own.

Have a great day! Jane
Congratulation on getting Mint installed.

32 bits Mint will run on 64 bits CPU, the only down side is the software selections. Some software are no longer available as 32 bits (Chrome etc.) but there are work around. Bigger concern is Mint 17.2 is no longer supported, not a major issue now but long term, you should use Mint 18.x at minimum.
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

Janesdf wrote: It worked!
Excellent! Good work! :)
Janesdf wrote: The Linux Welcome Screen says Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaella Cinnamon 32-bit is installed. My pc is a 64-bit. Does that make a difference?
Augmenting athi's response, LM 17.2 was released over four years ago, and is no longer supported. How did you get that ISO? Regardless, you'd probably want to go with something that's currently supported, and perhaps more appropriate for your hardware.

For a CPU of that era, I'd suggest the Xfce desktop. with LM 18.3 Xfce (still supported until April 2021), or LM 19.1 Xfce. 64-bit versions, of course.
Janesdf wrote: ... I will be back with more questions if I can't figure it out on my own.
Excellent. And others will be here to assist. Just start a new topic for new questions, as this thread has been fulfilled, with you being an ISO to USB drive pro. :)

Joe
Janesdf
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No Option for burn to USB. Need Help. SOLVED

Post by Janesdf »

Hi again,

I started a new post on issues I'm having with the outdated 17.2 that installed and the panel/taskbar no longer working.

I could really use some help on upgrading to 19.1 xfce as I'm afraid to touch it for a new install.

Here is the link for my new post. Thank you.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=297315&p=1654972#p1654972

Return to “Newbie Questions”