SD Card mounting issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
desolator158
Level 1
Level 1

SD Card mounting issue

Post by desolator158 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:08 am

Hello all!
Linux newbie here (like SUPER new to Linux)

My 64 GB SanDisk SD card is not mounting. My 128GB SanDisk SD card auto-mounts just fine. Both are SDXC, however the 64GB one doesn't register at all. It's like nothing is in the internal SD card reader.

ANY help would be appreciated, and please be patient. I'm VERY new to Linux, and will likely have to be walked through whatever troubleshooting steps step by step to make sure I don't hurt anything in the process.

Thanks guys!

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: SD Card mounting issue

Post by Lord Boltar » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:01 pm

Probably formatted to exfat - open your Synaptic Package Manager and search for exfat - two things should come up one is exfat-fuse and the other is exfat-utils if they are not installed you can right click it and mark for installation once both are marked click the apply button to install - after install then reboot and see if your SD card is recognized or not

Hope this helps
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

desolator158
Level 1
Level 1

Post by desolator158 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Read up on this before posting. Tried that. No change. My other SD card is recognized and auto-mounts just fine. This one is not for some reason. I know the SD card is working correctly, because it works in the camera just fine. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:25 am

Have you got a SD card to usb adaptor, they are cheap. Try one of those. When I had problems with SD cards and the internal reader on the laptop, I've usually found that there isn't a problem reading them via the adaptor.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lord Boltar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:35 am

If you start up the computer with an SD card inserted

The following rescan will hopefully find the SD card.

Code: Select all

sudo su -l

Code: Select all

echo 1 > /sys/bus/pci/rescan
hope this helps
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:56 am

I have found that if you format the sd card using the camera format mode, it formats it to the camera format and they become unreadable in windows and linux, but will still work on the camera. If I had to format the card I always connected it to the computer and formatted it as fat32. Have had the same sd card in camera for 5yrs now and not a problem with it. Does your computer detect the card when you connect the camera?
You'll probably find that it would be cheaper to purchase another one.
Good luck.

Return to “Newbie Questions”