[SOLVED] How to delete outdated users?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
cinematik
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How to delete outdated users?

Post by cinematik » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:17 am

On the login screen I have some users which seems to be outdated or not present in the system. When I enter a password for some moment black screed appeared and again it shows me login screen without info that password is incorrect or something similar. How can I delete them if I also have a super user account and I can login with it?
Last edited by cinematik on Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to delete outdated users?

Post by Lord Boltar » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:45 am

If you are signed in as another non-root user with sudo privileges, you can type: where "username" is the name of the account you want to delete

Code: Select all

sudo deluser username
If, instead, you want to delete the user's home directory when the user is deleted, you can issue the following command as root

Code: Select all

sudo deluser --remove-home username
Hope this helps
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: How to delete outdated users?

Post by gm10 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:47 am

Alternatively you can also do it via GUI: Mint menu > Users and Groups
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Newbie Questions”