Wine in Linux 19.1 Mint, a treat or a threat? (Solved)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Alvin
Level 3
Level 3

Wine in Linux 19.1 Mint, a treat or a threat? (Solved)

Post by Alvin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:01 pm

I notice 108 pages on the subject of installing Wine in 19.1. That surely is a red flag against a cavalier approach to installing Wine. Preferring to err on the side of caution, I ask how reliably to install Wine on my system (described below)? My purpose is to be able to access data files in my Windows7 dual op sys from Linux 19.1 Mint Cindarella (other dual). At present, I have placed my important Windows7 data files on a memory stick, but I must continually update the stick to keep currency. I thought Wine might be a better way, but its 108 pages on the forum is threatening!
Last edited by Alvin on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Wine in Linux 19.1 Mint, a treat or a threat?

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:05 pm

Dual boot Windows disk partition is accessible from Mint. In Computer you should have an icon for win partition. Just double click it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

ParaDice
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ParaDice » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Alvin wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:01 pm
At present, I have placed my important Windows7 data files on a memory stick, but I must continually update the stick to keep currency. I thought Wine might be a better way
Wine is 1. awesome, but 2. meant to run Windoze software on Linux, not mount (i.e. "connect") Windoze partitions to your system. That can be achieved on most Linux systems without installing any additional packages. Just open up your file explorer (Nemo on Mint), click on your Windoze partition and it will be mounted to your system for read/write access.

For your purposes, it may be useful to have the system auto-mount it on startup. Mint has a nice graphical way to do this:
  • In your Mint menu, open up the "Disks" application
  • Find your disk and select the Windoze partition on it.
  • Click the little gear icon underneath and select "mount options" from the menu
  • Remove the "Automatic mount options" checkmark
  • Check "Mount at startup" instead and "Show in user interface"
  • Confirm with "OK" and type in your admin password
Your Windoze partition with all your files on it will now automatically be mounted when you boot up your system and show up on the Desktop and in Nemo.

If you'd rather follow a video instruction, here's one that does exactly what I wrote above, but gives you some screenshots (and some gratuitous terrible music on top).
Desktop: Linux Mint 19.2 (Cinnamon x64) , Intel Core i5-4670 / GeForce GTX 660
Notebook: Linux Mint 19.2 (Cinnamon x64), Lenovo E470 (Intel Core i3-7100U / Intel HD Graphics 620)

Alvin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alvin » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:10 pm

To deepakdeshp: Thank you for pointing out something I had not realized: that I can access my Windows data from Mint !

To Paradice: On my Mint system desktop, I double-clicked the Computer icon. A screen appeared with four icons, one of which had the model no. of my hard-drive. I took this to be the relevant Disks application. I double-clicked it and a number of folders appeared, one of which was labeled Documents and Settings. I double-clicked it and all the folders I might want to access appeared. None had a little gear icon beneath the folder icon. When I right-clicked the folder icon a drop-down appeared with the following choices available:

Open
Open in New Tab
Open in New Window
Open With >
Copy
Open in Terminal
Open as Root
Compress
Sharing Options
Properties

Did I wander to the wrong place?

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:17 am

Alvin ..... I have a dual boot set-up with Win7 and Linux Mint, and I also need to access those files and data which are still in the My Docs/Pics/Music folders of Win7.

Paradice and others are right to say Wine is not needed to access files stored in your Windows partition. Wine is a way of running Windows software programmes within Linux.

The advice on auto-mounting may not be necessary - unless you need regular and frequent access to the data still held in the Windows partition. In my case I only do so sporadically, so I didn't bother to set up auto-mounting.

The essential steps for accessing files are quite simple:
- open your File Manager
- in the menu on the left, click the Windows system partition. That will mount it.
- in the list of folders which then show in the File Manager, click Documents & Settings
- within that (depending on whether there is more than one user-account in Windows) click on the folder with your username.
- you will then see a list of all your folders (Docs, Pics, Downloads etc) and you can select and open any folder and file. No need to right-click at any stage.
- you should then be able to work on any file using Linux Mint's software (OpenOffice etc). The only point then to remember is where and in what format to save any modified file.

Alvin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alvin » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 am

Marking "Solved". Thanks to all ! Your time and good will is appreciated.
Alvin

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:23 pm

Alvin wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:48 am
Marking "Solved".
Leaves me wondering what precisely the solution has been?
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Return to “Newbie Questions”