What will be the consequence of uninstalling Thunderbird?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Truthspinner

What will be the consequence of uninstalling Thunderbird?

Post by Truthspinner »

I am extreme level newbie in linux and switched to linux mint two days before,
So after reading few forums here i found that "thunderbird" helps in mailing etc,
I know i can uninstall it, then what will be the consequences?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What will be the consequence of uninstalling Thunderbird?

Post by Larry78723 »

Thunderbird is the default E-mail program for Mint. If you uninstall it, you'll have to install another E-mail program to send or receive E-mail.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Or use web-mail exclusively... That's what I have done for years. Haven't felt the need for an email client at all...that said, there is no harm in leaving an unused app installed either.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Why do you want to uninstall Thunderbird? If you do not use it simply leave it alone, it does no harm.
Cliff Coggin
Truthspinner

Post by Truthspinner »

I m unfamiliar with linux environment, because in windows most apps start using internet and ram as soon as you turn your pc on
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Unlike windows, linux doesn't start using anything until you actually start the program (unless you tell it to start the program at start-up ).
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Thunderbird will not connect or do anything unless you tell it to. You now have control of your computer, not Windows.
Cliff Coggin
Truthspinner

Post by Truthspinner »

Thanks to all of you for your time and replies, i decided to keep it..
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I'm late to the party since the OP already made up his mind, but I've always removed Thunderbird in my Mint installs. I prefer to get rid of things I don't use, both digital and physical.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Schultz wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:42 pm I'm late to the party since the OP already made up his mind, but I've always removed Thunderbird in my Mint installs. I prefer to get rid of things I don't use, both digital and physical.
the "only real advantage" is that you will "recover a tiny bit of disk space".
whoopee gum drops.

I just leave it in place, no harm, no foul, it is synced to my webmail, but only updates if I open Tbird and request an update. so, it does nothing, dormant until required.

I have long ago opted to use only webmail, as clients always seem to give me problems with keeping things synced up..... webmail resolves all of those problems.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:54 pm Why do you want to uninstall Thunderbird? If you do not use it simply leave it alone, it does no harm.
I get your point but I do uninstall it because I never use it and it gets frequent and large updates.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

Thunderbird is much more than just a simple email application!
If somebody feels it has too much features or thinks it is too bloated, they could use a different approach, and install one of the very many other good email applications instead. Some are made to be real fast and intentionally without support for HTML. Truly excellent for poor or slow internet conditions, but most do include HTML support. There are for example, Claws, Sylpheed, Balsa, and quite a few others. In Linux you can make the system work as you want, its not like Windows forcing you to do things arkward ways.

Said that, Thunderbird should be OK for just about anybody, but there are certainly excellent other options which do not deserve being overlooked.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

I have never used Thunderbird since I replaced Windows 10 with Mint on January 1, 2019.
Hopefully, it does not run in the background, wasting resources.
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
Helmut
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Helmut »

No, it doesn't run in the background and waste resources! It can run in the background if you want it to watch for incoming mails. Welcome to the world of Linux.
Thunderbird could be considered as comparable to Microsoft Outlook. It is a POP3 mail application, meaning the mails are written, stored an read right on your own machine, as opposed to using a browser for accessing some third-party server and third-party (IMAP) mail application somewhere on the net.
You may want to look-up and compare POP3 to IMAP...
Last edited by Helmut on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

In case the OP wants notifications of incoming mail ...

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pulb/mailnag
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mailnag
I am using it.
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Schultz wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:42 pm I'm late to the party since the OP already made up his mind, but I've always removed Thunderbird in my Mint installs. I prefer to get rid of things I don't use, both digital and physical.
Yep, that's the great thing about Linux - CHOICE!!
Piers66
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Piers66 »

Helmut wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:09 am Thunderbird could be considered as comparable to Microsoft Outlook. It is a POP3 mail application, meaning the mails are written, stored an read right on your own machine, as opposed to using a browser for accessing some third-party server and third-party (IMAP) mail application somewhere on the net.
Hello,

Not correct.

Thunderbird can be set up to access mail servers using either POP3 or IMAP. I have Gmail (and other) accounts and use IMAP to log in and collect my emails. Any changes on my laptop are reflected in the server, and vice versa. I can therefore log in via webmail from another device and see the current, up-to-date state of my emails.

I've been using Thunderbird for nearly a decade now and have found it to be a perfectly good replacement for Outlook. I have 4 different email accounts (personal and work) with an extensive hierarchy of folders for archiving old emails. I would be driven round the bend if I only had the web version of Gmail to access these accounts, particularly because it doesn't let you sort your Inbox by anything other than date order, unless you use the loathsome 'conversation view'. There are plenty of other advantages, for example in Thunderbird if someone sends an email to the wrong account (happens all the time) I can just drag it into the correct one.

The only thing I missed, making the transition from Outlook to Thunderbird, was that you can't easily edit received emails (though I do use HeaderToolsLite). In Outlook you could actually edit an attachment and save it back into the email. Other than that, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Piers.
Main: Dell E6410 - 8GB RAM / 500GB HDD - Dual Boot Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit / Win 10
Backup: iMac 5.1 - 3GB RAM / 240GB HDD - Dual Boot Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit / OSX 10.5.8
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Looking at this again I think maybe the OP is aware that in Windows it's very, very hard to completely uninstall any app opf n on trivial size, and wondering if that's also true in Linux. It's not a problem completely uninstalling programs in Linux if you stick to the repos.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Thunderbird was the first thing I uninstalled when I set up Mint. I used to use it years ago under Windows but since then I've migrated to using just webmail and find that works much better for me. I uninstalled it not just to save a tiny bit of disk space but also so I wouldn't get nagged to update it every so often. Why update something that I'm not using?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Truthspinner wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:16 pm I am extreme level newbie in linux and switched to linux mint two days before,
So after reading few forums here i found that "thunderbird" helps in mailing etc,
I know i can uninstall it, then what will be the consequences?
Consequences? None.

The choices inherent in Linux allow you to approach email access, organization, and structure, let you do whatever you want to do!

Return to “Beginner Questions”