Acer Aspire 7 won't connect to Acer Monitor

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lifewithoutparole
Level 1
Level 1

Acer Aspire 7 won't connect to Acer Monitor

Post by lifewithoutparole » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi All, My old ASUS died last week and I bought an ACER Aspire 7. I had been running 18.2 Sylvia on the old one and it was my first Linux OS computer, though I had someone install Linux and remove MS OS as I am pretty dangerous on computers. Well, I had Mint 19.1 installed on the new one and it is fantastic, however, when I try to connect to my ACER ET3220R monitor I get a "no signal" message on the monitor. MY previous computer connected automatically and my Dell chrome book connects just fine. I spent some time disconnecting/connecting the monitor cables, tried the Dell again (It recognizes the monitor right away) so with my limited experience I am out of my league. So, any hints or suggestions as to how I can get the monitor to connect would be appreciated. Thanks for looking at this. Tim in Florida

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ACER Aspire 7 won't connect to Acer Monitor

Post by Lord Boltar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Do you have the NVIDIA Drivers installed yet? If not do the following - I think your Aspire 7 has a GTX 1060 in it. To find out for sure run the following command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fx
To add the Proprietary NVIDIA GPU Drivers PPA in Linux Mint and update the software sources, use the following commands in the terminal

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt update
Close terminal then open the Driver Manager and install latest NVIDIA drivers

Once installed reboot
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

lifewithoutparole
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Acer Aspire 7 won't connect to Acer Monitor

Post by lifewithoutparole » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:14 am

hi, I did as suggested and downloaded the drivers. There was an error message in there saying it couldn't "read" 12 keys...I followed the directions and installed the drivers but the monitor still doesn't work. Since there are 12 "function" keys, is this a hint as to why it can't connect and if so, how do I get it to recognize teh function keys? Thanks so much for all your work on this. Regards, Tim

lifewithoutparole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lifewithoutparole » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 am

An update...I notice now that my "function" keys aren't working, so no wonder my monitor desn't connect,. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks, Tim

lifewithoutparole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lifewithoutparole » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:13 am

Solved! I changed the "intel" power aving mode to teh Nvidia mode and restarted teh computer and it works great now, as do all teh function keys. On mine I just have to hit the function keys alone but they weren't working when I was pressing the FN button at the same time. I hope this helps someone. Thanks for the replies and suggestions, Regards, Tim

Return to “Newbie Questions”