Separate data partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
IMINOW
Level 1
Level 1

Separate data partition

Post by IMINOW » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:31 am

There are instructions for setting up a separate DATA partition else ware but unfortunately no longer works with Mint 19.

I have installed Mint as dual boot with Win 10 and created a separate partition for DATA (ntfs - for dual access) now want to get Mint to access this partition automatically when saving and opening files. Anyone know of a tutorial for a nubi?

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Separate data partition

Post by br1anstorm » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:37 am

I too have a separate Data partition in a triple-boot setup (Mint 19, PCLinuxOS and Windows 7).

You don't say which version or which DE (Cinnamon, XFCE, whatever) of Mint 19 you have installed. Others may be able to provide or point to detailed guidance on setting up and accessing the Data partition. Essentially you need to do two things: first, using Disk Manager in Mint, configure the mount options so that the Data partition is mounted automatically on boot-up. Second, in your Mint File Manager, create symlinks which point to the Docs, Pics, Misc, etc folders in your Data partition. And that's about it....

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:24 am

Since you already followed a HowTo on this I would suggest posting the output of the following commands so the folks here can see how you are set up:

Code: Select all

sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list

cat /etc/fstab
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:52 am

using Disk Manager in Mint, configure the mount options so that the Data partition is mounted automatically on boot-up
I would avoid using disks, some like it, I don't, it creates 'messy' entries in your fstab. I would do it manually.

On my dual boot systems, in win I have a separate partition, D:, where all the data is kept, I keep nothing on C:, only installed programs. In mint this partition is mounted as /home/me/data, through an entry in fstab that looks like:

UUID=xxxx /home/me/data ntfs windows_names,uid=1000,gid=1000,defaults 0 0
replace xxxx with the correct UUID which you find out by typing blkid in a terminal and replace /home/me/data with wherever you want to mount it.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

Return to “Newbie Questions”