Get Samsung c460 printer to scan - no scanner detected

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IMINOW

Get Samsung c460 printer to scan - no scanner detected

Post by IMINOW »

This is (hopefully) a very easy question to answer.

Just installed Mint and connected a Samsung c460fw printer/scanner. Can print but when using SimpleScan get 'No scanner detected' message. Have located and downloaded a driver but don't know how to install it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Get Samsung c460 printer to scan - no scanner detected

Post by kato181 »

Have you downloaded the linux drivers for the printer and scanner? If not, here is the link for them
http://www.samsungdrivers.net/samsung-c460fw-driver/
good luck.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

@kato181

the link you've posted is not accessible. Because the printer section of Samsung belongs to hp, you can download drivers from hp.

Hello IMINOW,

first you should be sure, that your user belongs to the groups "saned" and "scanner". You can set this in menu > system managment > user & groups, tap on your user and then got the field next to groups on the right side and open it. There you can activate the both groups (if it is not done).

From where do you have download the driver and what is the file name? In beetween we can test, if your Samsung c460fw is detected as a scanner from the system. Type in a terminal by copy/paste and post the results here:

Code: Select all

sane-find-scanner

scanimage -L

If nevertheless needed, on this site is a good description of installing samsung printers in Linux:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Hello IMINOW....

How is your printer/scanner connected - USB wiring, or wifi? And which version of Mint have you installed? If 19.1, then there is one other aspect to check before you get into the business of finding, downloading and installing Samsung drivers.

Mint 19.1 includes the firewall, UFW. If it is enabled, then - if your printer/scanner is connected by wifi - it may be blocking access to and from the scanner. This will cause SimpleScan to say that no scanner is detected.

The solution is either to turn off the firewall, or create a rule in UFW which allows access to the scanner's URL.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:47 am @kato181

the link you've posted is not accessible. Because the printer section of Samsung belongs to hp, you can download drivers from hp.

Hello IMINOW,

first you should be sure, that your user belongs to the groups "saned" and "scanner". You can set this in menu > system managment > user & groups, tap on your user and then got the field next to groups on the right side and open it. There you can activate the both groups (if it is not done).

From where do you have download the driver and what is the file name? In beetween we can test, if your Samsung c460fw is detected as a scanner from the system. Type in a terminal by copy/paste and post the results here:

sane-find-scanner

scanimage -L

If nevertheless needed, on this site is a good description of installing samsung printers in Linux:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... nters.html
That link IS accessible because I downloaded the drivers for the samsung printer
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

That link IS accessible because I downloaded the drivers for the samsung printer
http://www.samsungdrivers.net/samsung-c460fw-driver/

Correct. It will give IMINOW the Unified Linux Driver (ULD). It is what he needs to install. Mind you, having installed it, he will still be unable to scan.
first you should be sure, that your user belongs to the groups "saned" and "scanner".
I hate to say this, but that is inappropriate advice; I have seen it given a few times recently. It is about time it was relegated to the refuse container of history.

https://wiki.debian.org/Scanner
--
Brian.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

@ kato181 & BrianP

Now the link is accessible for me, too, but it wasn't at Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:47 am :)

@BrianP
I hate to say this, but that is inappropriate advice; I have seen it given a few times recently. It is about time it was relegated to the refuse container of history.
This may not be up to date anymore, but it is listed on some Ubuntu help pages regarding troubleshooting, necessarities and/or permissions. Even in the sane-project-documentation there is something about "saned" user and group. For the scanner-group there is a description on the debian-site with given conditions, that it is not necessary anymore, but what is with the saned-group?
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

HAWR wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:11 pm
@BrianP
This may not be up to date anymore, but it is listed on some Ubuntu help pages regarding troubleshooting, necessarities and/or permissions. Even in the sane-project-documentation there is something about "saned" user and group. For the scanner-group there is a description on the debian-site with given conditions, that it is not necessary anymore, but what is with the saned-group?
Yes, the advice to add a user to the scanner group is still going the rounds - even though the ACL mechanism for a local user has been the norm for some time.

saned is for accessing a scanner over the network. The saned user and group exist to avoid running the daemon as root and the group is not intended for adding random users to. If a user cannot access the device locally on the USB bus, it's a problem which needs investigation.
--
Brian.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

@BrianP

I have tested it for my LM 19.1 Cinnamon and my old USB-Brother-MFC without both group memberships and can say for myself, it works without it (tested with simple scan, xsane and LO writer, even with login/logout and reboot). My result is certainly not universally valid, but I thank you for the new insights. :)
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

HAWR wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:20 am @BrianP

I have tested it for my LM 19.1 Cinnamon and my old USB-Brother-MFC without both group memberships and can say for myself, it works without it (tested with simple scan, xsane and LO writer, even with login/logout and reboot). My result is certainly not universally valid, but I thank you for the new insights. :)
Thank you for the testing and reporting. My concern is partly that advising membership of the scanner group could place an extra burden on a user, particularly a newcomer to Mint. On the bright side, it actually does no harm and is definitely needed if a user logs into a machine over ssh.

I am less sure about putting a user in the saned group. That strikes me as an abuse of root privilege.
--
Brian.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

IMINOW has gone strangely quiet. Maybe he has figured out how to install the needed drivers?
--
Brian.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

+ 1 on the last post from brian_p.

This thread is confusing to other readers, and therefore not helpful, because IMINOW has not given enough precise information to enable others to offer appropriate advice. It is also useful to other readers if a forum-poster actually reports back on the solution if or when it is found.

Meanwhile this discussion has gone in various different - and possibly irrelevant - directions.

- the problem (of "no scanner detected") may be the result of firewall blocking the connection (as I speculated in my own earlier post). But to explore that we need more specific information about the system, the hardware, and the connections;

- it may indeed be a matter of a particular driver needing to be installed, as others have suggested - although Linux Mint/CUPS/SimpleScan seems capable of running most scanners (and printers) without the need to install special proprietary drivers;

- the discussion about workgroups seems, with all due respect, to be a bit off-track, misleading and perhaps outdated or incorrect. But this is an area about which I know nothing and have found no need to delve into, as my scanner works fine without any such arrangement!

Moral of the story: to get helpful answers, the initial request has to contain sufficient and relevant information...
IMINOW

Post by IMINOW »

Hi- thank all who have given advice, sorry not to have responded earlier but not been at my computer for some days.

One comment was that I did not supply enough information. Lets hope I canm rectify that.

I installed L/Mint a week or so ago and am the only user.
The printer/scanner prints but Mint cant start the scanner.
Connected to my computer ( Intel NUC 7i5BNK) via USB cable.

In Simple Scan - When I click on scan printer wakens but then I get message

Failed to scan
Unable to start scanner

I did run
sane-find-scanner

Got
# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0003 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0a2b at 001:007: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x3938/0x1032 at 001:005: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x058f/0x6366 at 001:009: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.], product=0x3468 [C460 Series]) at libusb:001:010
could not open USB device 0x248a/0x8566 at 001:008: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x04e8/0x2084 at 001:006: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1a40/0x0101 at 001:004: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x046d/0xc52b at 001:003: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x13fd/0x1040 at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.

I also ran
scanimage -L

Got

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

I found and downloaded the linux driver for the printer - but don't know how to install it. Is it just a matter of clicking on the file?

Printer continues to print but not scan.

Please remember no question is stupid and I have just installed Linux Mint and know nothing. Thanks IMINOW
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

The fact that the printer/scanner is connected by USB cable seems to rule out the possibility that the firewall (if enabled) is blocking access to the scanner - which was my earlier thought because I had suffered a similar problem with a printer/scanner connected via wifi.

So I leave it to others who know more about scanners and drivers to figure out why this scanner isn't being "seen".

I don't recommend double-posting. But a browse through the Hardware/Printers and Scanners sub-forum might turn up some useful ideas and/or possible alternative solutions to try.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

IMINOW wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:46 am Hi- thank all who have given advice, sorry not to have responded earlier but not been at my computer for some days.

One comment was that I did not supply enough information. Lets hope I canm rectify that.

I installed L/Mint a week or so ago and am the only user.
The printer/scanner prints but Mint cant start the scanner.
Connected to my computer ( Intel NUC 7i5BNK) via USB cable.

In Simple Scan - When I click on scan printer wakens but then I get message

Failed to scan
Unable to start scanner

I did run
sane-find-scanner

Got
# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
# result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
# scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
# you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0003 at 002:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x8087/0x0a2b at 001:007: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x3938/0x1032 at 001:005: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x058f/0x6366 at 001:009: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
found USB scanner (vendor=0x04e8 [Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.], product=0x3468 [C460 Series]) at libusb:001:010
could not open USB device 0x248a/0x8566 at 001:008: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x04e8/0x2084 at 001:006: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1a40/0x0101 at 001:004: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x046d/0xc52b at 001:003: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x13fd/0x1040 at 001:002: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
could not open USB device 0x1d6b/0x0002 at 001:001: Access denied (insufficient permissions)
# Your USB scanner was (probably) detected. It may or may not be supported by
# SANE. Try scanimage -L and read the backend's manpage.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
# can't be detected by this program.

# You may want to run this program as root to find all devices. Once you
# found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access permissions as
# necessary.

I also ran
scanimage -L

Got

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

I found and downloaded the linux driver for the printer - but don't know how to install it. Is it just a matter of clicking on the file?

Printer continues to print but not scan.

Please remember no question is stupid and I have just installed Linux Mint and know nothing. Thanks IMINOW

If you d/l the linux drivers from Samsung then you will have four(4) folders named as follows: armv4, i386, noarch, & x86_64 followed by these *.sh files: install.sh, install-printer.sh, install-scanner.sh, uninstall.sh, uninstall-printer.sh, & uninstall-scanner.sh.
You need to make install.sh executable to install the printer driver and scanner driver, or you could just make install-scanner.sh executable. Go to the folder that holds the printers files you downloaded, my instance I have it in my work folder. Start Terminal and navigate to your folder.
Do the following in terminal.
Have root access first then do the following.
chmod +x install.sh or chmod +x install-scanner.sh. Once that is done check to see that it is executable by doing ls and the file should now be green.
Then at the prompt, (make sure you still are root, type in this command ./install.sh or ./install-scanner and follow the instructions and your scanner driver should be installed.
Good luck
Frogbarf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frogbarf »

I found the solution to this at the very bottom of the following post on the Archlinux website and it worked for me to access my C460 series printer over my local network for scanning. I happened to have this same problem under OpenSuse, but the solution likely applies to Mint and other distributions as well that rely on the SANE back-end for scanning: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SA ... c_problems

Here are the steps:

First make sure that the most current Samsung unified driver for the scanner has been successfully installed. The driver can be obtained from the HP website:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... p-191129-2

It appears that for some Samsung MFP printers to be detected for scanning via USB it is first necessary to edit /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf.

An example entry would look like the following for a USB connection:

#Samsung SCX-3200
usb 0x04e8 0x3441
Change the printer model as needed. You can get the idVendor and idProduct code using the lsusb command.

Most likely your problem is with a printer that is connected a local network which was the case with me:

To access the scanner over the network rather than the USB interface, add a line to /etc/sane.d/xerox_mfp.conf such as:

#Samsung C460 Device
tcp xx.xx.xx.xx
where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address or hostname of the printer.

Then run the sane-find-scanner command and the scanner should be detected.

Regards from Germany
Last edited by Frogbarf on Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aporeg

Post by aporeg »

@Frogbarf

i just registered to this Forum to say Thanks to you all,especially to @Frogbarf the Network part did it for me ,i was about to give up

#Samsung C460 Device
tcp xx.xx.xx.xx

Return to “Beginner Questions”