Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Stegemueller
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Stegemueller » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:11 pm

Oh yes it is open, and looks dangerous :)
Best regards,

Hanne B. Stegemüller,,
Denmark

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:15 pm

LOL....yes, it can be dangerous. :lol:

The last line should read
/dev/disk/by-uuid/8208-614F /mnt/8208-614F auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show,x-gvfs-name=1%20TB%20HDD 0 0

Replace it with
UUID=8208-614F /mnt/fra_windows vfat defaults,auto,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 2

Then save the file and reboot and make sure you can access it.
Image

Stegemueller
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Stegemueller » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:26 pm

Unfortunately the drive is not visible nemo any more.

Does it matter that I changed "fra_windows to "Fra_windows" because that is what is is called all the other places or is this just the name of a drive?
Best regards,

Hanne B. Stegemüller,,
Denmark

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:38 pm

Yes, it matters. You could go into your file manager, click on File System in the left panel, then right click on the /mnt folder and select "Open as Root" (yours might say Open as Administrator). When the new window opens, right click on the fra_windows folder and select rename. You can then make the folder name match what you changed it to in the fstab file. Reboot again and make sure you can access it.
Image

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:44 pm

You'll also have to re-run the following command in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER /media/(whatever you changed the name to)
Image

Stegemueller
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Stegemueller » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Larry78723 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:38 pm
Yes, it matters. You could go into your file manager, click on File System in the left panel, then right click on the /mnt folder and select "Open as Root" (yours might say Open as Administrator). When the new window opens, right click on the fra_windows folder and select rename. You can then make the folder name match what you changed it to in the fstab file. Reboot again and make sure you can access it.
I have cheked and double checked that both in fstab and also the mount folder it is now called fra windows (all small letters).
I have reboted
But suddenly I'm back where we started where I can not open the files.
Furthermore the drive is not visible in the File Manager.

I have been very very care full with what I was doing.

EDIT:
Actually I can't know how the files look like and whether they can be opened or not, when I can't access the drive. These observations are before the restart.
Best regards,

Hanne B. Stegemüller,,
Denmark

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 pm

The folder under /mnt must have an underscore between fra and windows (fra_windows) to match what I gave you for your fstab file. If you want to change the place to mount it, open /etc/fstab as Root and change the path(/mnt/fra_windows) to whatever you want, save the file, then go into file manager and open /mnt as root and create a folder that matches the folder you put in fstab.
Don't forget that you'll have to re-run

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER /mnt/(whatever you changed the name to)

in terminal.

Let me know how it turns out.
Image

Stegemueller
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Stegemueller » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Larry78723 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:17 pm
The folder under /mnt must have an underscore between fra and windows (fra_windows) to match what I gave you for your fstab file. If you want to change the place to mount it, open /etc/fstab as Root and change the path(/mnt/fra_windows) to whatever you want, save the file, then go into file manager and open /mnt as root and create a folder that matches the folder you put in fstab.
Don't forget that you'll have to re-run

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER /mnt/(whatever you changed the name to)

in terminal.

Let me know how it turns out.
I have now checked again. Everything is called "fra_windows", and I can see the drive in the file system which is very positive. fra_windos is in the left side of Nemo. That is great.

The last thing is that I still get the message: "files does not exist" when I try to open the files, also when I try to open as root. Also the strange characters in the filenames are back (æøå and other special characters). Somehow this is strange ad I have been able to open the files this afternoon.
Best regards,

Hanne B. Stegemüller,,
Denmark

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:04 pm

Hanne, try changing the last part of the fstab line from defaults,auto,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 2
TO
defaults,noatime,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 2
Image

Stegemueller
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Stegemueller » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Larry78723 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:04 pm
Hanne, try changing the last part of the fstab line from defaults,auto,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 2
TO
defaults,noatime,utf8,umask=000,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 2
Larry, for some strange reason that made fra_windows disappear from the left side of the file manager/Nemo unless I log in as root. (Oh or maybe I was also logged in as root before I'm not sure.)

But when I log in as root everything seems to be fine. I can open the files and they have no strange characters in the file names.

You are good!!!
Best regards,

Hanne B. Stegemüller,,
Denmark

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:26 pm

Did you run

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R -v $USER:$USER /mnt/(whatever you changed the name to)
after you made the changes?
Image

Stegemueller
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Stegemueller » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:28 pm

I sure did.

But can I just run it again without any harm?
Best regards,

Hanne B. Stegemüller,,
Denmark

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1570
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:32 pm

You can run it without problems. Even if you have to open the folder as root, at least you have access to the files. Did you reboot?


I need to put some food in my belly and won't be available for about an hour.
Image

Stegemueller
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Re: Linux Mint says that my docx and Excel files does not exist

Post by Stegemueller » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Larry78723 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:32 pm
You can run it without problems. Even if you have to open the folder as root, at least you have access to the files. Did you reboot?


I need to put some food in my belly and won't be available for about an hour.
I really appreciate all what you have done for me to day! It is 47.000 files that you have saved for me.

And I have to go to bed.

It is really no problem that I have to log in as root. If it is possible to fix it tomorrow or when/if you have the time it would of course be great, but it is really not necessary.

Enjoy your dinner!
Best regards,

Hanne B. Stegemüller,,
Denmark

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”