HP ProBook 455

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

HP ProBook 455

Post by rfd »

is this machine linux mint compatible?

HP ProBook 455 G5 Notebook PC - AMD A9 9420 3.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 15.6" 1366x768 (HD), AMD Radeon R5, WiFi, BT 4.2, GigE, Webcam, 1x USB-C, Win 10 Pro 64-bit - 7CM54U8#ABA

Communications Description Gigabit Ethernet
802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.2
Interface Type Realtek RTL8111HSH

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... ignId=9429
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: HP ProBook 455

Post by deepakdeshp »

I run a HP machine with and a8 7410 and Radon since Mint 17. Now running Mint 19.1 it runs well.
Here are the compatible machines.
https://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/welcome
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

don't see the probook 455 amd 9 in the list, so i'll take a chance on it. one of my machines is an hp pavilion that runs mint 18 well.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Please update if it works mentioning the Mint version and flavor.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
rfd
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rfd »

had to get the machine into legacy mode and turn off eufi and safe boot. could not boot off a usb port, so i created a mint dvd and used an external optical drive to load mint 19.1 and overwrite that nasty win 10, it appears to work reasonably well. it instantly recognized and setup my network printer, which had always been a sore point. wifi is a breeze. so far the only anomalies are the machine's screen brightness keys work the mic (huh?) so that can only be controlled via control center, but it's not a setting that requires tweaking. i like using xpad as my scheduler and for other sticky notes so i loaded it and can't move any notes i've created around the screen, so i'm using tomboy notes (not as good as expad, though). much much more to do, so i'm sure other pitfalls await. t-bird was an easy move by simply copying .thunderbird from the old to the new. dittos for bookmarks in other apps like gftp and firefox. most of my data is tripled backed up to both the hard drive and to both a usb drive and an sd drive, so that storage just needed to be plugged into the new box. this machine was bought new and bargain priced for a bit over $300/USD and comes with a half gig HD and 4gigs of ram - i'll double the ram. all in all, not bad at all. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”