Timeshift help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
vickyperkin
Level 1
Level 1

Timeshift help

Post by vickyperkin » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 pm

i need to backup my system
i want to backup the whole thing except for one folder in my home directory
can you please explain the + and - thing please

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Timeshift help

Post by Larry78723 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:01 pm

Timeshift is not designed to back-up your /home folder, I would recommend installing BackInTime for that purpose. It can be installed from the Software Manager. Also, make sure that Timeshift isn't saving the snapshots to your / folder.

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Also, make sure that Timeshift isn't saving the snapshots to your / folder.
He's saying that because if you don't have lots and lots of space on your / partition, timeshift will fill it up and you will run out of space and won't be able to boot :( Had a few posts on that recently.
Also recommend backintime. The default settings are:
  • Timeshift backs up everything except /home.
  • Backintime backs up everything in /home and excludes everything else.
Ideally both should be setup to backup to a different drive, e.g. external USB drive, or failing that a different partition on your main drive that is not / or /home.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:10 pm

I also use TimeShift for system snapshots and Back-In-Time for backing up my data. I store the TS snapshots on a separate partition on my internal HDD, but every few days I plug in an external USB drive and run a script which copies the TS snapshots to the external drive, keeping all the hard-link structure intact. My BIT backups are made to external USB drives (two separate drives which I alternate. Here's some links which may be helpful:
A description of my seup (see the postimage link for my current settings in TS and BIT) - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=289550&start=20#p1611843
Some info about TimeShift - viewtopic.php?f=90&t=282795#p1560805
More TS info - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=272471
And more - viewtopic.php?f=90&t=285111
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:28 pm

vickyperkin wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:38 pm
i need to backup my system
i want to backup the whole thing except for one folder in my home directory
can you please explain the + and - thing please
Desktop Linux does not have a user-friendly GUI-based System Imaging program like the built-in Windows Recovery Partition, Macrium Reflect Free or Acronis True Image or Aomei Partition Assistant. It only has the techy CLI-based Clonezilla program for System Imaging/Cloning.
....... You can give the no-longer-maintained Systemback program a try = can create an ISO DVD of a running Linux system for system recovery later.(.?)

A workaround for this is to use Macrium Reflect Free from Windows to create a System Image of a dual-booted Windows+Linux system running on an internal hard-drive, eg create the System Image on an at least 64GB USB flashdrive or external USB hard-drive to accommodate both systems = system recovery will be for both Windows+Linux.

Data backup is very different from System Backup.

Why is this.? Likely because some open-source Linux software developers do not want to develop a GUI-based System Imaging program, only to see all their hard-work being easily forked by others, like how LM has forked teejee's Timeshift(= like Windows System Restore tool) and then called it her own. Notice all the various Firefox and Chromium forks, eg Palemoon, Basilisk, Waterfox, Brave, Opera, Vivaldi, etc.

Matera
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Matera » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:41 pm

For a selective home directory backup, you could use a backup/sync program such as Lucky Backup. Lucky has a nice gui and a lot of options (which can be confusing at first). It can do a dry run to test if your backup profile is working OK.

As a former Windwoes user, I formed a habit of keeping all my important files on a separate partition -- or drive -- well away from Microsoft's rather shaky special user folders. Things happened. Though I now use the Mint home directory with confidence, even re-installing the system without worrying about data loss, I still believe in redundant backups. My desktop computers have two internal hard drives, and I use external drives as well.

Timeshift has saved my butt quite a few times when I didn't wach out for hinky updates or installed something that caused conflicts.
When I have a computer problem, I call myself.

Return to “Newbie Questions”