What is this desklet?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
lastrideout
Level 1
Level 1

What is this desklet?

Post by lastrideout »

See this picture: https://i.imgur.com/EU74g2v.png

What is the name of the desklet on the right hand side? I would like to get the same one for my Linux Mint 19.1
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: What is this desklet?

Post by jimallyn »

I believe that is conky. It's available in the Mint repos.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
lastrideout
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lastrideout »

Yeah I figured that out last night. Conky is a bit hard to configure but I'm getting there.

I really like the conky theme in the screenshot. Anyone know the name of it so I can download it?
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

lastrideout wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:34 pm
Yeah I figured that out last night. Conky is a bit hard to configure but I'm getting there.
This might help:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/conky.html

It's not a desklet, by the way. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

There is a long running conky showoff thread that might give you some ideas:
viewtopic.php?f=212&t=30209
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

It looks pretty close to the typical default config although I've never seen it somewhere.

but:
https://www.deviantart.com/customizatio ... offset=264
or:
https://www.gnome-look.org/browse/cat/124/order/latest

It might be out there somewhere, there's too many places to find the stuff.

Of course if you're winging a bunch of configs, it can make it easier to use the Conky Manager, use version 2 if you want support for the modern conky version: https://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2 This way you can quickly drop a handful of test configs and check them out, make adjustments it has some basic built-in editing features. I don't use it as a front-end but if I want to test some things it makes is easy to get it done quickly and easily.
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

zcot wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:09 pm
it can make it easier to use the Conky Manager
Does it produce clean config code? I have Conky on all of my machines, have had it for years, and in my experience it's only then a reliable tool if you keep the config code "clean, mean and lean".....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
zcot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by zcot »

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:22 pm
zcot wrote:
Does it produce clean config code? I have Conky on all of my machines, have had it for years, and in my experience it's only then a reliable tool if you keep the config code "clean, mean and lean".....
I'm sure the mileage varies. The original code for that part is the same, although I did add a few tweaks while adding the conky-1.10-with-lua redesign as far as the in-program editing feature(and the config file parsing/rewrite). I think in general if the config is "compliant", then the widget edit feature does a fine job. I personally tend to open the whole config file and make edits there anyway, so the program is not internally editing the file like that(parse/rewrite), so I almost always just use the "edit file manually in a text editor" feature. Speaking of using that in-program feature to edit widget the location, size, or network interface it generally works, although if the config is bogus then the program might not parse/rewrite it exactly the same, and there is plenty of bogus configs out there(another reason why I just open in text editor - button in the program).

But running configs in general, not talking about the in-program widget edit feature, if the config is messed up and doesn't run right that has to do with the config and conky, that manager simply feeds the config into conky, that's all, -it's no different than typing the command manually in terminal. And no it doesn't have to be "clean, mean and lean" you can have comment blocks all over the place and such, but only as much as conky itself will allow. With the addition of conky 1.10 into the repos in the last years it has created a situation where all the configs from pre-1.10 are a potential problem(mostly only ill-written configs though).
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Pjotr wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:22 pm
zcot wrote:
clean,mean and lean (for me)! I use CM ,basically overwrote one of their panels and inserted mine...

Return to “Newbie Questions”