Desktop Icons

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
barneyblogggs
Level 1
Level 1

Desktop Icons

Post by barneyblogggs »

Im running 64-bit 19.1 (Tessa) with the Cinnamon Desktop Environment.
I have a hopefully simple question.
When I first logon to my computer I see the 'Desktop' with my wallpaper / background and it has two icons on it (Computer and Home)
When I browse through the filesystem to /home/username/Desktop the directory is empty.
Can anyone answer why?

to be fair it isnt causing me any hardship or anything I just want to know why this is.

I have googled but all I seem to be able to find are issues where people want the icons on the Desktop but they arent there.
Ive also r-clicked on the desktop and opened as root, but the directory is still empty.
The LM User guide doesnt seem to offer any explanation for this either.

Coming from a Windows background im used to the C:\Users\username\desktop directory mirroring the actual graphical desktop in terms of icons.
Any help or pointing in the right documentation direction would be most welcome.

barneyblogggs.

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Desktop Icons

Post by MrEen »

Hi barneyblogggs.

I'm using Xfce but I think it's the same reason. For me, in Menu > Settings > Desktop > Icons tab (your path will probably be different on Cinnamon), I can choose to have some default folders on the desktop such as Home (the only one I have) and like you, that does not appear in the File Manager when navigating to the Desktop folder. Trash is another one that some users like having on the Desktop.

Hope that helps.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

barneyblogggs wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:11 pm
Im running 64-bit 19.1 (Tessa) with the Cinnamon Desktop Environment.
I have a hopefully simple question.
When I first logon to my computer I see the 'Desktop' with my wallpaper / background and it has two icons on it (Computer and Home)
When I browse through the filesystem to /home/username/Desktop the directory is empty.
Can anyone answer why?

to be fair it isnt causing me any hardship or anything I just want to know why this is.

I have googled but all I seem to be able to find are issues where people want the icons on the Desktop but they arent there.
Ive also r-clicked on the desktop and opened as root, but the directory is still empty.
The LM User guide doesnt seem to offer any explanation for this either.

Coming from a Windows background im used to the C:\Users\username\desktop directory mirroring the actual graphical desktop in terms of icons.
Any help or pointing in the right documentation direction would be most welcome.

barneyblogggs.
That folder will be empty until you put something on your desktop besides the standard items.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

MrEen
Level 19
Level 19

Post by MrEen »

I should have mentioned that the options for me were Home, Filesystem (that would be Computer I believe,) Trash and Removable Devices (when you plug in a USB stick for instance.)

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

You have to put something on your desktop (besides the standard items such as Home, Trash, Computer, etc) before they'll show up in the ~/Desktop directory. Try putting a document on your desktop.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

barneyblogggs wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:11 pm
Can anyone answer why?
They are not real files/directories - just inbuilt shortcuts provided by nemo-desktop.

You can set which of these (if any) are displayed in the Desktop app available from the menu.

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

barneyblogggs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barneyblogggs »

Thank you all for your help.
So basically as smurphos is saying they are 'shortcuts' that I see on the graphical desktop.
What I get from that is that Mint does not show shortcuts in the filesystem which is why I dont see anything in

/home/username/Desktop

Regards,
barneyblogggs

michael-hi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by michael-hi »

But Mint does show shortcuts in the filesystem. There would be no point having shortcuts if they were invisible! If you click on File System and look for instance in the /lib directory you will see icons with the shortcut arrows in the corner.

The point is that it is only the inbuilt Desktop shortcuts you are referring to which are not shown. That is presumably because, as MrEen and smurphos have pointed out, it is purely optional whether a user wants them shown on the Desktop. And if they do, there would not be much to gain by mirroring them in the file manager because one-click shortcuts to these very basic locations - Home, Filesystem, Trash, Mounted Drives - would be shown on the left-hand side of the file manager anyway.

Return to “Newbie Questions”