SOLVED - How to ungroup icons on panel/taskbar?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED - How to ungroup icons on panel/taskbar?

Post by MintyMorkyMindy »

LM19.2

How to ungroup the panel icons, so that I can open program more than one time and have such displayed along the taskbar/panel?

--------------

By default, the panel icons are grouped. There is no obvious way to ungroup them.

Right mouse click a panel icon, then preferences, then,
"Remove grouped windows list" is just nasty. That doesn't ungroup the icons, it deletes them all.

To fix this I have had to reinstall a snapshot.

It shouldn't be this complex.
Last edited by MintyMorkyMindy on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint since 5 October 2014 :D
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to ungroup icons on panel/taskbar?

Post by Moem »

MintyMorkyMindy wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:02 am
LM19.2
Which one?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

Cinamon

Linux Mint 19.2 cinamon.

Thanks.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

In that case, this probably applies. It is, indeed, not that complex, once you know.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=296658&p=1650377#p1650377

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks, I just found that too.

Solved.
MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: SOLVED - How to ungroup icons on panel/taskbar?

How to get the traditional panel in LM 19.2

1. Click Menu

2. Type in "Welcome Screen" in the top search bar. It should find this after a few letters have been typed.

3. Once the window opens, click "First Steps" at the left column.

4. Scroll down to "Destop Layout" and make your selection by clicking the image of the layout you prefer.

Note: There does not appear to a manual way of making the changes, it is automated as per above, which is better.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

MintyMorkyMindy wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 am
Note: There does not appear to a manual way of making the changes, it is automated as per above, which is better.
The differences aren't actually much and can be done manually - this is useful if you've otherwise modified your panel layout and don't want to lose those modifications by switching between traditional / modern or vice-versa, or get annoyed that that switch also changes theme and panel size.

1) In Applets settings module - remove the grouped-window-list applet, add panel-launcher applet and window-list applet.
2) Right click on panel and check panel edit mode. Place the newly added applets on the panel as desired. Uncheck panel edit mode.
3) In Themes module - switch the Desktop theme to Linux Mint from Mint-Y-Dark and the Controls theme to Mint-X from Mint-Y
4) In Panel settings reduce the panel height from 40px to 26px.
5) Hit Ctrl-Alt-Esc to restart Cinnamon.

And if you just wanted to get of grouping in the Grouped Window List you could have done that via right click on the Grouped Window List > Preferences > Configure > Uncheck "Group Windows by Application". Plenty of other config options available there as-well.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
MintyMorkyMindy
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you smurphos ... very helpful.

I was able to set up window-list applet with the Mint-Y. :)

I have some related questions:

1. How do I remove the text description next to the panel icons, eg "Home" ?

2. How can I export/import my settings for all of this, or even manual backup/restore ?

Thank you again.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

MintyMorkyMindy wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:25 pm
Thank you again.
No worries. You are welcome

1) - With the regular window-list applet you can't turn of the labels. if you revert back to the grouped-window-list but turn off grouping as described above you can have an ungrouped icon only window-list. The grouped-window-list does support labels (and you can chose different label formats - window title, application name etc) but they are off by default.

2) - See viewtopic.php?p=1605797#p1605797
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”