playonlinux multi disk installations

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
kdander
Level 1
Level 1

playonlinux multi disk installations

Post by kdander » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:44 am

While trying to install an old Win game (Medieval Total War) using Playonlinux I got the installation working well until it came to the point where the install program wanted disk #2, it couldn't find the optical drive. (in Win it would be D:/ drive). I also tried to ask this question on the Playonlinux forum but when I attempted to register I got an error message that said "msn.com domain not allowed:. Don't know what the deal is for that but it is my e-mail extender. Any help would be appreciated.

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: playonlinux multi disk installations

Post by Lord Boltar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:04 pm

I've got two advices:

1) copy both cd's to single directory and then start installation

or

2) add drive e.g
D: which points at /media/SF_CD1
F: which points at /media/SF_CD2

then set both drives to CD-ROM type under "Show Advanced" in winecfg (Drives tab)

Remember to run winecfg through / inside PlayOnLinux.

if your CD is copy protected (SecuROM v4 or SecuROM v5) and neither Wine nor POL support copy protected CD's so your game will always be showing this message because of lack of this support. "Please insert your original CD into your CD/DVD drive".
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: playonlinux multi disk installations

Post by TI58C » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:51 am

To add drives in POL is somewhat different from wine.

1. Open main POL window
2. In the top menu choose "configure "
3. In the left pane, select the "virtual drive that your game resides on
4 In the right pane, choose tab "wine"
5. Click button "configure wine". A windows-type window with several tabs will open (same as winecfg)
6. Choose tab "drives"
7. with cd inserted, choose "autodetect" OR
8. choose "add, choose new drive letter and use button "browse" to avigate to your cd-drive (somewhere in /home/media/<username>

Hope this helps

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

Return to “Newbie Questions”