[Partially solved] What happened to copying files from DVD?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MarkTheMorose
Level 2
Level 2

[Partially solved] What happened to copying files from DVD?

Post by MarkTheMorose »

I've been using a spare PC to do some video conversion in recent months. These are home recordings from VHS camcorders and such, nothing with CSS copy protection or similar. They have been transferred to a Panasonic DVD/BluRay/HDD video recorder, and most copied from there to DVD+RW disc, and I'm converting to MP4 on the PC.

Until a few weeks ago, i was able to copy the files directly across to the PC by opening the optical disc and a destination folder as admin (even though there's no copy protection, I can't copy the files unless I open both source and destination as admin), then open the files for conversion in Handbrake.

Before discovering Handbrake, in earlier experiments I'd opened the files directly from disc in MakeMKV and produced MKV files, but converting on-the-fly from optical disc takes ages, so I started copying straight to hard drive, then converting from there.

Then a few weeks ago, I found that the files I'd copy across from disc to HDD would no longer open, either in Handbrake or MakeMKV. Yet the disc containing the files would open in either program. In addition, files that I'd copied across to HDD from weeks previous would still open, in either program.

Somewhere along the line, I think an OS update has somehow affected the files being copied across, which is worrying. I had another PC with an older installation of Mint on, that I knew had not been updated for a while. I was able to copy files across to hard drive from optical disc, and open them in Handbrake or MakeMKV, so seeming to prove that an OS update was to blame. That PC is too underpowered to do the conversion work, but it proved a point.

I have literally hundred of discs to convert, and it's really slowing things down to work directly from optical disc.

Any thoughts as to what happened, and if it can be remedied?
Last edited by MarkTheMorose on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: What happened to copying files from DVD?

Post by TI58C »

Sorry, not much help to give but for what it is worth:

On both my systems I can use handbrake and makemkv without admin proviliges. Nothing has changed in the way these programs behave in the recent weeks. Just checked some converted video's to be sure. Both systems have been updated constantly.

So I do think the problem is something in your own system, not in any Mint-change.

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

I agree, sounds like you've messed up the permissions somehow.

BTW is you want to speed things up and don't mind using more HD space forget handbrake and just use makemkv. Makemkv does no conversion atr all, it just copies the video and audio streams and muxes them to an mkv container. You're jkust limited by the optical drive speed. WHereas if you convert them to .mp4 (and a different video format), unless you have a speedy machine you'\re going to end up spending more time converting those videos that it would take to watch them.
MarkTheMorose
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarkTheMorose »

Thanks for the replies. I'd changed nothing on my system - I had just got everything working, and wasn't going to tamper.

I've found out why Handbrake and MakeMKV stopped opening copied files. It is to do with permissions. I discovered today that if I alter the permissions of the copied files so that other users than root can read and write them, the files will open once again.

But again I stress, I'd changed nothing on the system. The files I'd copied prior to this 'change in behaviour' will open happily in either program, despite their permissions being set to only root having read and write privileges.

So, something did change, and it wasn't me!

Anyway, partially solved by copying files as root, then changing the permissions after.
MarkTheMorose
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarkTheMorose »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:22 am
just use makemkv. Makemkv does no conversion atr all, it just copies the video and audio streams and muxes them to an mkv container. You're jkust limited by the optical drive speed. WHereas if you convert them to .mp4 (and a different video format), unless you have a speedy machine you'\re going to end up spending more time converting those videos that it would take to watch them.
Thanks; I'd realised that MakeMKV doesn't convert, keeping the quality high, but it's really too high. What I have been doing, though, is using it to make MKVs that I then run through AVIdemux, using it as a simple editor. I then convert to MP4 using Handbrake.

The PC I'm using is a quad-core, recently upgraded from dual-core, and is doing a fine job. I'm happy to spend a bit of extra time converting to end up with smaller files.
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C »

MarkTheMorose wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:35 am
Thanks for the replies. I'd changed nothing on my system - I had just got everything working, and wasn't going to tamper.

I've found out why Handbrake and MakeMKV stopped opening copied files. It is to do with permissions. I discovered today that if I alter the permissions of the copied files so that other users than root can read and write them, the files will open once again.

But again I stress, I'd changed nothing on the system. The files I'd copied prior to this 'change in behaviour' will open happily in either program, despite their permissions being set to only root having read and write privileges.

So, something did change, and it wasn't me!

Anyway, partially solved by copying files as root, then changing the permissions after.

Now you mention it, I did have a similar issue before. Files in my user dir changing to ownership root. Notably ~/.cache and ~/.gvfs.
Read some older posts about this being related to update manager, but am not sure that is the case.

What helped me was regularly issueing these commands:

Code: Select all

find /home/rob -user root
sudo chown -R $USER:$USER $HOME
sudo umount ./.gvfs && rm -rf ./.gvfs

After the last clean install it seems to be over ????

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

Return to “Newbie Questions”