Dual boot with Windows 7 revisited (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Dual boot with Windows 7 revisited (SOLVED)

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Been working on this for some time, due to some bumps in the road that have caused this non-tech user some problems...

Equipment is Dell Inspiron 519 desktop, previously dual booting Windows 7 and Vista, each on its own dedicated hard drive. My intent has been to remove the Vista hd, keep the W7 hd for local use only, and install a new drive with Mint Cinnamon which I hope to graduate into as the go-to OS, with W7 for local use (no internet) running a couple of local programs that are not available in Mint.

On March 1, earlier this year, I downloaded Mint Cinnamon on a new, blank hard drive, looked at that OS briefly, but had a problem trying to get W7 to boot without the Vista hd in place. Found out that, once the two Microsoft OS's were installed, the boot function was automatically "merged" or suchlike between the two and 7 would not start without Vista connected as well. At that point I had to re-install the Vista drive, even though we haven't used Vista for years now. With some gratefully received tech help from AskWoody I learned how to restore the independent W7 boot sequence, and currently W7 functions normally in all respects while the Vista drive remains in the case but disconnected.

I'd now like to trash the Vista drive and re-install the Mint hd. Looking for some reassurance that once I do that, both OS's will be available. I've been advised that under some circumstances, Mint will co-opt the boot sequence and impair access to any other OS. What I hope to see is a black-screen boot sequence that offers a choice between the two systems, similar to what we had when we were dual-booting W7 and Vista.

Anyone dual-booting Windows and Mint?
Last edited by Slowpoke47 on Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dual boot with Windows 7 revisited

Post by athi »

Many people here, including me, have multiple O/S boot setup.

Properly installed, GRUB will assume the boot manager function from Windows. During boot, you will be presented with the GRUB screen showing boot options, including O/S (see below example), that you can select from.
grub.jpeg
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Many thanks for your comment. On this machine, up until recently, we still had the black-screen boot sequence offering a choice between the two Microsoft systems even though the Vista OS is long since disconnected. A few days ago I got some guidance on how to eliminate that sequence using the msconfig command. Since then the pc boots directly to W7.

If I now install the Mint drive, would that black-screen sequence reappear automatically, or am I needing to set it up?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:52 pm
Many thanks for your comment. On this machine, up until recently, we still had the black-screen boot sequence offering a choice between the two Microsoft systems even though the Vista OS is long since disconnected. A few days ago I got some guidance on how to eliminate that sequence using the msconfig command. Since then the pc boots directly to W7.

If I now install the Mint drive, would that black-screen sequence reappear automatically, or am I needing to set it up?
GRUB (Mint boot loader) installation is part of Mint installation. GRUB will search all attached devices for O/S boot loader and include them in the boot options menu.

Here is a link to Pjotr excellent tutorial on Linux Mint https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html

Sounds like you are doing a dual boot with Win7 and Mint installed on separate HDD, a bit less common setup but should be relatively straight forward. Inspiron 519 only have BIOS (no UEFI secure boot) and Win7 does not have Fast Startup, so less things to worry about. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Again, my thanks. I'll go for it and post back with the successful (or, sordid) results.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Well...no joy here.

Just installed the new Mint hard drive and booted up- got the pop-up in the photo, so the machine recognized the new drive.
IMG_0900.JPG
But the system did not see the Mint OS and started W7. Looking at msconfig, W7 is the only OS listed. Here's the installation- lower hd is W7, upper one is the new Mint hd.
IMG_0905.JPG
As seen in photo, both drives properly connected, two connectors each. The upper bay previously had the old Vista drive, which worked fine.

Suggestions?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

How did you install Mint after the HDD installation or was this a previously installed Mint O/S?

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Bought this blank hd specifically for this purpose. Back in March I downloaded the Mint OS using this pc and the same bay in the case. At that time I briefly looked at the download, but then ran into the problem mentioned above and had to swap out the Mint hd for the old Vista hd in order to run W7. Since that time, the Mint hd has been wrapped in the same foil pouch it came in.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

A question- why would the pc be loading driver software for the new hd when the same drive had previously run in this machine?

Looking in control panel confirms that the new disk is unrecognized.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:19 pm
A question- why would the pc be loading driver software for the new hd when the same drive had previously run in this machine?

Was Mint installed and functioning on the new HDD before you removed it for storage?

If you use the same SATA channel to connect the Vista HDD, Windows will have reassigned that channel and when changed again will not remembered what was installed before. Windows also can not see Linux ext4 (standard Linux partition format), so Windows will report the HDD as unformatted/recognized.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Here's the boot screen via F12
IMG_0906.JPG
The first two lines are the two hard disks- but whichever one is selected, Windows 7 starts.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

athi wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:43 pm
Slowpoke47 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Was Mint installed and functioning on the new HDD before you removed it for storage?

If you use the same SATA channel to connect the Vista HDD, Windows will have reassigned that channel and when changed again will not remembered what was installed before. Windows also can not see Linux ext4 (standard Linux partition format), so Windows will report the HDD as unformatted/recognized.
So, do we assume that the Linux OS is in fact on that disk? And, if so, how do I get it operating?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

The main question is was Mint installed and functioning on the HDD before removal? If so, you can do a GRUB repair and then boot from GRUB. Right now the Mint HDD boot loader is non-functional. You can use Win7 Disk Management utility to see if there are any partitions on the Mint HDD. Please post screenshot of Win7 Disk Management windows showing the partitions on the Mint HDD. Below link is on how to access Disk Management.
Do not make any changes to either HDD, this is for information only.
https://www.howtogeek.com/101862/how-to ... -software/

If the version is too old, you may be out of support for that Mint version and should reinstall Mint anyway. Currently Mint 18.x and Mint19.x are supported and Mint 17.x or older are out of support.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

S-shot attached...
2019-08-04 S-shot mgmt.jpg
I could start from scratch, download Mint again, might need a little coaching.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Screenshot shows the 1TB HDD to be unformatted, the 300GB HDD is where Win7 is currently installed. It would appears that Mint was never installed on this HDD.

Do you remember ever using Mint when this HDD was installed?

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

As mentioned, I cruised it briefly until I found the problem with W7/Vista. Are we sure that there is nothing on the new disk? If so, how could I have been looking at it last March? That download is not anywhere else in this pc.

If the best move is to start over, perhaps the new hd should be formatted just to be safe. I likely need to be steered in the right direction for that operation, too.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Slowpoke47 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:21 pm
As mentioned, I cruised it briefly until I found the problem with W7/Vista. Are we sure that there is nothing on the new disk? If so, how could I have been looking at it last March? That download is not anywhere else in this pc.

If the best move is to start over, perhaps the new hd should be formatted just to be safe. I likely need to be steered in the right direction for that operation, too.
Ok, you used Mint last March. If so, you were most likely using Mint 18.3 or 19.x both of which are still supported.

We will need to create a liveDVD or liveUSB Mint media to boot into Mint live session to do an assessment of the situation and repair GRUB or install Mint.

Please use below link to download your choice of 64bits version of Mint 19.2 ISO file and burn to DVD (creating liveDVD) or USB (creating liveUSB) with Win7. LiveUSB contains a fully functional Mint O/S with an integrated installer that you can also use to install/repair Mint. Rufus is a great utility to burn ISO to USB, you will use the MBR option since your desktop is BIOS only without UEFI. Please let us know when you can successfully boot into either liveDVD or liveUSB.
https://linuxmint.com/download.php
rufus.gif

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Sorry to be "thick" but I don't know which mirror to select from the list on the Linux site... and I am not familiar with "Rufus."

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

You can pick a mirror that is closet to you geographically or the global ones (picture of a globe without flag).

Rufus is a great utility to create bootable USB which also burn ISO to USB. You can download Rufus 3.6 portable (no installation required) here
https://rufus.ie/

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

I'm afraid my ignorance is showing. The only way the system would download Mint is into the "downloads" folder. From there, it rejected the only DVD's on hand, which are DVD-R. I'm trying to send the file to a blank thumb drive, which the system says will not be finished until about 6:30 (EDT). I'll see what that amounts to at that time- I don't expect you to wait on me. Your help and patience much appreciated.

Return to “Newbie Questions”