Dual boot with Windows 7 revisited (SOLVED)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dual boot with Windows 7 revisited

Post by Slowpoke47 »

athi wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:55 am
That would be the simplest way to install given all the troubles you are having. Key thing is to ensure that you confirm Mint live session did boot in legacy BIOS mode. Updating GRUB to detect Win7 should be trivial.
Thanks for responding. Yesterday I opened Mint from the flash drive and poked around some. Should I assume, since I went through the steps to authenticate etc. yesterday, that the Mint file is complete and ready to go?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

If you mean to burn the ISO, yes. You can also verify the media using the GRUB menu option before booting into Mint.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Again, thanks. I'm about to shut this machine down and unplug the W7 HDD. I'll use the laptop to follow the Mint installation guide cited earlier here. I'll post back with the grisly (or not) details.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Pleased to report that, after all that went before, the Mint installation was a no-drama event and the only steps that varied from the installation guide were intuitive. Interestingly, the installer found Cinnamon 19.1 on the HDD that Windows showed as blank- this would have been from my previous attempt and was likely not fully realized, as I was not up to speed on the verification steps at that time.

The only item missing is the GRUB screen at bootup- the system defaults to Windows when started. But I can open Mint using the F12 key on booting up. This is actually ok for now, but at some point I would like to see that GRUB screen when powering up. Meanwhile, as time permits, I'll work on "moving in" to Mint.

At the risk of being repetitive, I offer my grateful thanks to those who wet-nursed me along here. I would like to show my appreciation further by making a donation to this forum, Linux, or both, as appropriate. I am not of a something-for-nothing attitude.

When I do the Mint install on the laptop- Acer Aspire E1-731, also running Windows 7 HP x64, can I use the same flash drive that is already loaded with Mint?

Larry78723
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Dual boot with Windows 7 revisited (SOLVED)

Post by Larry78723 »

Slowpoke wrote
When I do the Mint install on the laptop- Acer Aspire E1-731, also running Windows 7 HP x64, can I use the same flash drive that is already loaded with Mint?
Yes, save that flash drive. It can be reused for other machines or if you have to reinstall on the current machine.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

The only item missing is the GRUB screen at bootup- the system defaults to Windows when started. But I can open Mint using the F12 key on booting up.
Go into the BIOS and set Linux as the first boot device, then you can boot either from GRUB without needing the F12 key.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

Larry78723 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:55 pm
Yes, save that flash drive. It can be reused for other machines or if you have to reinstall on the current machine.
Yes, seemed logical to me. But, as a Slowpoke, I had to ask.
Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:56 pm
The only item missing is the GRUB screen at bootup- the system defaults to Windows when started. But I can open Mint using the F12 key on booting up.
Go into the BIOS and set Linux as the first boot device, then you can boot either from GRUB without needing the F12 key.
Thanks, same answer as above. For now I'll let Windows open by default until I'm more familiar with Mint- will eventually set that up.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

Good to hear that you got it running.

Is the Acer Aspire E1-731 running Win7 or Win10? If Win7 in legacy BIOS installation, the same procedure would work. If Win10 in UEFI mode, there are a few changes to get a working Mint installation. But you should start another post for those questions.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

athi wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:04 pm
Good to hear that you got it running.
And in no small part thanks to you, much appreciated!
athi wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:04 pm
Is the Acer Aspire E1-731 running Win7 or Win10?
Win7, same as desktop. Only difference, or course, is the HDD will be partitioned. That's OK because very few files on that machine, so plenty of room
Last edited by Moem on Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:56 pm
I'd also add, as the Win7 HDD was disconnected when Mint was installed:
To add Windows to the GRUB menu (this will also set the GRUB menu to show at boot; it probably doesn't, yet, when you boot Mint from the F12 option), you'll need to open a Terminal in Mint and run sudo update-grub. :)

You can set GRUB to automatically boot whichever operating system you want, after a set timeout (which you can also change if you want).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

BG405 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:50 pm
you'll need to open a Terminal in Mint and run sudo update-grub. :)
Thank you. As a non-tech, I don't know what "open a terminal" means.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Maybe he should use the Grub Customizer GUI, but then we'd have to explain how to add a PPA. By your Menu button, see a black box? Clk on it. That is Terminal. It's a "DOS looking screen, but not DOS" where you can run commands, or similar to windows CMD or command screen.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The button that looks like this, but in inverted colours: >_, as Spearmint said .. it's also in the menu and in the default "Favourites" pane which I get on a Live MATÉ session on clicking the Menu button. :)

Also BTW I wouldn't recommend Grub Customizer due to the way it complicates things with changes which are difficult to reverse, not just for a newbie either. Not sure how GC would help in this case anyway. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:25 pm
Maybe he should use the Grub Customizer GUI, but then we'd have to explain how to add a PPA. By your Menu button, see a black box? Clk on it. That is Terminal. It's a "DOS looking screen, but not DOS" where you can run commands, or similar to windows CMD or command screen.
There are strong opinion against Grub customizer by some very respected members like Pjotr. I second it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:59 pm
Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:25 pm
There are strong opinion against Grub customizer by some very respected members like Pjotr. I second it.
Where can I read these opinions. Is it ONLY because it's a PPA, which I know is anathema to some, or some other possible reasons? I can tell you I was happy to use mkusb when it was in PPA, and now it's in Package Manager. My objection is "yannubuntu" doesn't use his actual name, or at least not full name, only works by "profile".

pbear
Level 12
Level 12

Post by pbear »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:13 pm
Where can I read these opinions.
Here are a couple of threads, opinions on both sides:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=254120
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=257778

Difficulty removing has always been the sticking point for me.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Thanks. I'll read them tonight in a bit.

Slowpoke47
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Slowpoke47 »

I should have provided more info. Computer is Dell 519 Inspiron. Current OS's, both fully functional. are W7 HP x64 and Mint Mate 19.2. Mint OS successfully loaded from authenticated flash drive a couple of days ago. The F12 key generates the menu in the lower photo (blue)- the Mint disk is highlighted and opens Mint on request. Opened a terminal window in Mint and typed in sudo update-grub and pressed enter, which generated the text in the top photo and results in the black screen shown (center photo), now displays long enough to read and make a choice. From this screen I can boot either OS. This screen is generated via F12 in Boot Options. Looks like if I can get Mint to be the default OS I'll have what I need to choose the OS each time on bootup.
Attachments
IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi »

The middle screen is the grub boot menu, and it shows both Mint and Win7, so looks like you are good to go. Do you want to increase the time that grub menu is displayed?

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Great, all that is proper, very normal.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/100232/ ... boot-order

Above changes entry in /etc/default/grub to accomplish a boot order change.

In past I've also accessed the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and found the "menu entry" line I wanted to boot first, then cut/pasted it as the first "menu entry" above the others.

Grub Customizer is mentioned, but maybe better if not used, since boot order isn't too hard to do manually.

Return to “Newbie Questions”