[SOLVED] Is there an update short cut?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bathwatch
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Is there an update short cut?

Post by bathwatch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:02 am

I have a Toshiba Pro U400 laptop, currently running Linux Mint Mate 17.3 64-bit which has now ceased to update.

I just use it as a basic computer, so I wasn't particularly bothered by not updating the Kernel, but because there are Firefox, Thunderbird and LibreOffice updates now and again, I am a little concerned that "no updates" includes the packaged software which are being updated on my Windows desktop. I got the instructions on "How to upgrade to Linux Mint 18" and it recommended trying Mint 18 first to make sure it handled the hardware. I did have a Live ISO of 18.1 so I tried it. It said no internet connection, and when I looked at the wifi networks available I got a small list, one of which was my home network. However, although I tried entering my home wifi password three times, being especially careful to get it right each time, it wouldn't make the connection.

I then tried writing then running a Live ISO DVD of 19.1 from a file I had recently downloaded, and it gave me the list of networks, and when I put in the wifi password for my network it connected and was usable.

I know I can install 19.1 over the top of 17.3, but that means I have to reconfigure all the extras the way I currently have them set up, and then re-install the couple of extra packages, and then get my wifi HP printer working again. But before I embark on that, I wondered if there is an automated update route from 17.3 to 19.1 that doesn't go via any of the 18.x versions which seem to be incompatible with my Intel wifi card?
Last edited by bathwatch on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is there an update short cut?

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:30 am

bathwatch wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:02 am
I wondered if there is an automated update route from 17.3 to 19.1 that doesn't go via any of the 18.x versions which seem to be incompatible with my Intel wifi card?
There is not. Some users recommend the tool Aptik for backing up your settings and restoring them on the new system but I have never used it.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

bathwatch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bathwatch » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:30 pm

Thanks for the suggestion of using Aptik. I have had a quick look at the manual and it does seem to do what I want done.

Later in the week when I have a bit more time, I will do the --backup-all and review what it actually saves. I won't have to overwrite the OS to do that and it will give me an indication of what I am likely to get restored. I won't restore everything because I have a couple of user installed applications that I no longer use that I will omit.

I will let you know how I get on.

bathwatch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bathwatch » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:40 am

I managed to download aptik which runs from command line, and when I tried backup-all it started OK but eventually hung. It looks as though it can be run in sections from the command line, but the terminology is daunting for a newbie.

I discovered that there is a gui version that can be downloaded as a .deb file, but when I ran it to install it complained that it couldn't find some graphics libraries. Perhaps they are not part of Mint 17.3?

I found the name of the gui version and tried to install it and discovered that the free version (18.8) appears to have been deleted from the ppa. There is a paid-for version (19.7) which supersedes it (in a different ppa, I suspect), but I am reluctant to buy something when I don't have any confidence it will work on my current version of Mint. There is a youtube video showing how to use aptik version 18.something but nothing about version 19.

I might have a play with the command line version to see how I get on, but I am slowly coming round to the view that a fresh install of Mint "Tessa" and then reinstall all my additional packages might be easier, after I dump my /home contents to a pen drive.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:57 am

I think it's 'bite the bullet' and do a fresh install. It's what I did moving 17.3 to 18.0 and then 18.3 to 19.0.

If you have a separate /home partition you can reduce the effort a little by choosing 'something else' during installation and keeping your existing /home partition with all the config files (but still do a backup first!). You still might have odd problems with the config, I only had one moving 18.3 to 19.0 - evolution email - had to re-install from scratch, it didn't like the existing config files.

Even with aptik, the likelihood is that whatever you have installed, there is probably a later/better version of what you have that runs under 19.x and older versions that worked under 17.3 might not work with 19.x.

The other thing I do in preparation for a future move at some point to LM20.0 - I maintain a log (simple text file) where I record all changes/additions to the system and how I did it (software manager, deb file, ppa, etc.). Made that mistake moving 17.3 to 18.0, forgotten what I'd installed and how I did it.

Good luck :(
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

bathwatch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bathwatch » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:55 am

I did bite the bullet, and found a couple of snags. My /home wasn't in a separate partition, so I used backup to save everything in it to an external USB drive, then wiped the old partition and divided it into two so that the fresh install and any subsequent ones could in future find a separate partition. Then I tried to restore from the external USB drive, and discovered that the 17.3 backup didn't create a format that the 19.1 backup could restore from in bulk.

It wasn't a show stopper because all my data files could be copied over folder by folder, but it did mean that I had to re-install fresh copies of all my additional software applications. Most were known to Software Manager so they were easy to re-install, but each then had to be configured the way I liked them. The Windows ones were a bit of a pain because I had to install Wine first (and there were several installers to chose from) and then when I tried to test run one of them I discovered that there were other add-ons still needed, though luckily Wine found and added them one at a time until the application ran.

Apart from sifting through all the Wine versions that Software Manager offered me until I found a description that I liked the sound of, the exercise was time consuming and a bit tedious rather than difficult.

All I have left to do is to install and configure AnyDesk in place of Teamviewer (which no longer works in the free-to-use guise). Unfortunately, AnyDesk needs both local and remote addresses logically connected in order to get at all the configuration options, so I am going to have to get the remote computers I installed Teamviewer on sent back to me so that I can update them to Mint 19.1 from 17.3 and then install and configure AnyDesk.

Anyway, it has been an interesting learning experience, and although I didn't find an easy answer to the question I asked, I have successfully upgraded from 17.3 to 19.1, so I am marking this thread SOLVED.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:50 pm

bathwatch wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:55 am
... I had to install Wine first (and there were several installers to chose from) ...
FYI, per the Mint release notes, the one you were supposed to use is wine-installer, which is a script that installs Wine itself plus some Menu tools. Can be done with Synaptic or Software Manager, but I think apt install wine-installer is simpler. Mentioning because I agree with Andy that it's a really good idea to have detailed notes on how to reinstall. This is what you should put in those notes.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Newbie Questions”