Mouse has just gone nuts!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Mouse has just gone nuts!

Post by fresh_breath » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:47 pm

Just a week or so ago, my mouse has gone crazy. It just clicks everywhere. Opening, closing, and deleting everything. It has made things impossible to use. And before anyone says to get a new mouse, I have 3. None work. Now, I tried my Windows dual boot, and have the same problem! But I don't know where to ask this. There is no way my 1 year old mouse, and 2 new ones are all defective. I have also tried different USB ports, as well as an adapter. Any advice? Thanks guys.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Mouse has just gone nuts!

Post by all41 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:48 pm

Hi @fresh_breath,
I see this is your first post so Welcome to the forums.
I found that booting among different os caused problems with my mouse, particularly the scroll.
The solution I use is to unplug the usb stub (receiver) and replug back in.
Try booting to your Mint install dvd/usb .iso following a cold powerup and try it there.
Having the problem with multiple os I would even condiser a bios reset.

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:21 am

Why is this question against the rules?

Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Larry78723 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 am

Who said anything about the question being "against the rules"? It would help if you provided an inxi -Fxz report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Open a terminal window. Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:37 am

Wired or wireless mouse/mice? And "an adapter" adapting from what to what?

decrepit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by decrepit » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 am

If it's happening on windows as well as Mint, every USB port, and several mice are all doing the same thing, it has to be a hardware problem.
Sounds like a noisy connection to me
How do other USB devices work?
If everything else that plugs into a USB port work well, then it's restricted to whatever handles the mouse movements. I've no idea what's involved there, could be individual chips before the data is handed on to the CPU/GPU. Could be a dry solder joint or a damaged chip. This is probably a job for a computer hardware man.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 pm

Larry78723 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 am
Who said anything about the question being "against the rules"?
No one, but he's undoubtedly referring to the fact that first posts from new subscribers are subjected to human moderation as an anti-spam measure. The fact that it/they got posted specifically says nothing was wrong...

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:37 am

decrepit wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 am
If it's happening on windows as well as Mint, every USB port, and several mice are all doing the same thing, it has to be a hardware problem.
If everything else that plugs into a USB port work well, then it's restricted to whatever handles the mouse movements. I've no idea what's involved there, could be individual chips before the data is handed on to the CPU/GPU. Could be a dry solder joint or a damaged chip. This is probably a job for a computer hardware man.
Yeah. Strange thing. I don't really know computers much. I am old. But I do try to learn to teach my youngins. My other USB devices work fine. External HDD, keyboard, cellphones, and so on. Just started happening a few weeks ago and I have no idea what could do it.

I asked this question in LinuxMint Reddit and was immediately permabanned. How come?

Code: Select all

System:    Host: JimJonesJuice Kernel: 4.15.0-55-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: K42F v: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K42F v: 1.0
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 502 date: 07/29/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3 M 350 (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9043
           clock speeds: max: 2266 MHz 1: 1128 MHz 2: 1206 MHz 3: 1136 MHz
           4: 1123 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.10hz, 1366x768@59.96hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Ironlake Mobile
           GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.5 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-55-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: JMicron JMC250 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: jme v: 1.0.8 ports: 8100 8000 bus-ID: 07:00.5
           IF: enp7s0f5 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 4000.8GB (23.3% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST1000LM048 size: 1000.2GB
           ID-2: USB /dev/sdb model: External_USB_3.0 size: 3000.6GB
           Optical: /dev/sr0 model: Slimtype DVD A  DS8A4S
           rev: JA22 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
           Features: speed: 8x multisession: yes
           audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 609G used: 561G (98%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 16.78GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-0
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 69.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 251 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 3183.8/7766.3MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35  

decrepit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by decrepit » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:11 am

Hi fresh-breath. I don't know why you got banned, maybe because it was a dual post? I think that's frowned upon here, I'm fairly new here myself.

OK, an interesting experiment to try, is to unplug the mouse, then tap the laptop, but not the touchpad, and see if you can produce mouse movement that way. If that happens, it confirms a bad connection internally.

So does the touchpad work fine?

Last century I was an electronics tech, so I have a rough idea what's going on, but USB stuff is a bit of a mystery to me. In my day mice, keyboards, printers, etc had their own sockets, so they were hardwired to their destination. Whereas you can plug all sorts of stuff into a USB port and somehow it gets routed to where it needs to go, that's the magic of computers I guess.

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:15 am

rene wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:14 pm
Larry78723 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:34 am
Who said anything about the question being "against the rules"?
No one, but he's undoubtedly referring to the fact that first posts from new subscribers are subjected to human moderation as an anti-spam measure. The fact that it/they got posted specifically says nothing was wrong...
Nope. Referring to posting this question to Reddit LinuxMint and immediately receiving a permaban.

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:16 am

decrepit wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:43 am
Yeah, just started maybe 2 weeks ago. Only the mice. I can't even find this on the internet at all!

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:19 am

rene wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:37 am
Wired or wireless mouse/mice? And "an adapter" adapting from what to what?
Wired. From the mouse to the computer. Why?

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:29 am

decrepit wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:11 am
Hi fresh-breath. I don't know why you got banned, maybe because it was a dual post? I think that's frowned upon here, I'm fairly new here myself.

OK, an interesting experiment to try, is to unplug the mouse, then tap the laptop, but not the touchpad, and see if you can produce mouse movement that way. If that happens, it confirms a bad connection internally.

So does the touchpad work fine?

Last century I was an electronics tech, so I have a rough idea what's going on, but USB stuff is a bit of a mystery to me. In my day mice, keyboards, printers, etc had their own sockets, so they were hardwired to their destination. Whereas you can plug all sorts of stuff into a USB port and somehow it gets routed to where it needs to go, that's the magic of computers I guess.
You sound like an old fart like me, talking in centuries.

Ha! The touch pad does not work! I know that worked recently, as I recently had to replace my mouse and monitor setup and just used the laptop for a while. I recalled how awkward the touchpad is, when you are not used to it. But it does not work now.

This has got to be some good evidence in the case for some Sherlock. I usually have some kind of guess as to what might be wrong, but I am completely lost on this one. Could a recent update have something to do with it? My Linux has not been able to make a proper update in a year. Endless errors.

decrepit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by decrepit » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:30 am

fresh_breath wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:19 am
Just for clarification I guess, assuming stuff can lead to mistakes.
So the thing is, a USB mouse plugs straight into the laptop, without an adapter, so are you using an old PS2 mouse with an adapter to USB? If that's all you were using, it could be the cause of the problem, but I think you said you are using mice that plug straight in as well?

decrepit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by decrepit » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:35 am

BIG question is, does the touch pad work in windows?
I'm betting it doesn't.

It's obviously part of the same cct as the mouse, one's gone crazy the other's stopped.

If it doesn't work in windows then it's nothing to do with linux.

Definitely an old fart! That's why my username.

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:02 am

decrepit wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:30 am
fresh_breath wrote:
Just for clarification I guess, assuming stuff can lead to mistakes.
So the thing is, a USB mouse plugs straight into the laptop, without an adapter, so are you using an old PS2 mouse with an adapter to USB? If that's all you were using, it could be the cause of the problem, but I think you said you are using mice that plug straight in as well?
Oh, I don't know PS2. I usually connect direct. I tried via... a hub. I am not sure if that would change anything, but it often reinstall a device when I connect to the hub. So I thought I would try. I feel weird asking for help. So thank you all.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:20 am

fresh_breath wrote:
Wired. [ ... ]. Why?
Because in the case of wireless there could've been (some pretty special, but hey...) interference that would've explained the Windows-as-well part.

As to the "adapter" adapting from the mouse to the computer, yah, that was sort of given... but I see you were talking about a USB hub. If it was a non-powered hub, yes, could've generally made a difference. But for now no ideas other than pointing BIOS-wise; try and see if there's anything specific there concerning e,.g. USB power settings.

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:13 am

So I disabled the touchpad in bios. But that has done nothing. My LinuxMint seems to crash worse than Win7. And I don't know how to fix it... Also, all my font has accents on it now. Like it's some Slavic language. Also, my Opera crashes every few minutes. If I didn't know better, I would say I had a virus?

polarvortex
Level 4
Level 4

Post by polarvortex » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:06 am

If multiple mice plugged in in multiple ways are going nuts in both linux and windows, then this is not a linux problem. And now you've even eliminated the touchpad as the source of the problem by disabling it in bios.

Try running the Mint live dvd, but don't install linux from there and wipe out all your files. Does the problem still occur in there? If it does then the solution is a new computer. In my opinion.

fresh_breath
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fresh_breath » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:12 am

polarvortex wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:06 am
If multiple mice plugged in in multiple ways are going nuts in both linux and windows, then this is not a linux problem. And now you've even eliminated the touchpad as the source of the problem by disabling it in bios.

Try running the Mint live dvd, but don't install linux from there and wipe out all your files. Does the problem still occur in there? If it does then the solution is a new computer. In my opinion.
How do I do the Mint live DVD? I looked it up online, but can't seem to get it to work. I can't get a new computer. I no longer live in a wealthy country. At 5 cents an hour, I am lucky I have power to run this and access to the internet. Ha ha.

Return to “Newbie Questions”