Backup solution with unencrypted/uncompressed files to FTP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Bart80
Level 1
Level 1

Backup solution with unencrypted/uncompressed files to FTP

Post by Bart80 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi,
If this topic is misplaced, please move...

I was wondering if there are backup utilities in Linux that would make backups to an FTP server, but while just keeping the original files. A file ~/documents/somefile1.txt would have to appear on the backup destination as (backup root)/documents/somefile1.txt and not as some content in (backup root)/backupfile.dat

Reason: I want to backup the files on my desktop to my NAS (which is local so no encryption needed). On the NAS I have a Duplicati running which will make backups of the files on the NAS to a cloud destination - with encryption and all the whistles and bells it requires. But I don't want to make Duplicati backups (NAS to cloud) of Duplicati backups (desktop to NAS) as that would make a restore operation too complicated. I want to have the files on the NAS to be clearly readable.

Does a tool like that exist? I cannot immediately find something, but if you have some hints it would be appreciated ;)

Thanks,

Bart

catweazel
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Backup solution with unencrypted/uncompressed files to FTP

Post by catweazel » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 am

Bart80 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:40 pm
Reason: I want to backup the files on my desktop to my NAS
Why ftp? Why not rsync?
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

rene
Level 10
Level 10

Post by rene » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:16 am

catweazel wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:44 am
Why ftp? Why not rsync?
... and a note w.r.t. that: the rsync protocol even if supported by your NAS isn't generally one of the faster methods. The usually better thing is to simply mount the NAS share locally, preferably via NFS if your NAS supports it but CIFS will do if need be, and then just use "local" copying --- for which the tool rsync is very useful, of course.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:13 pm

Right. The OP is looking for a backup solution, and rsync, or its GUI-based version Grsync, works very well as such a solution.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Bart80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bart80 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks, I'll try that!

Return to “Newbie Questions”