Some Config Questions About Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
nickname
Level 1
Level 1

Some Config Questions About Linux Mint

Post by nickname » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:52 am

I've been using Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE for a while now, but there are some things I miss about Windows 10.

1. One thing is that when I close an application in Windows (Firefox, MS Word, whatever) and then reopen it, the application window reopens with the same size and location it had when I closed it. Same goes for dialog windows. On a three-monitor set-up, this kind of thing is almost mandatory. With LM XFCE I spend far too much time trying to figure out where a dialog or window opened or IF it opened. It's only a matter of seconds, but it slows me down.

Q: Is there a way to reproduce this in with perhaps KDE or Gnome or some other desktop? Online info/reviews for desktops never seem to mention this behaviour.

2. Mouse Speed: Mint XFCE has a mechanism for this, but doesn't do anything and the mouse is waaaaay too fast and I'm constantly overshooting, even on the second, third, and fourth, etc try.

Q: Would I have better luck taming my mouse with a different desktop like KDE, Gnome, whatever?

3. Windows File Manager has tons of functionality I have yet to see in any Linux file manager.

Q: Are there any file managers for any version of Linux that have built-in previews for images and text/rich text/code files? Have a mechanism for configuring file previews by extension a la Windows regedit system? Multi-file renaming? Expandable/programable context menu?

4. The ultimate question: What's the most technically-advanced desktop available for Linux theses days?

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Some Config Questions About Linux Mint

Post by pbear » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:16 am

Windows and Linux each have features the other lacks, design decisions better suited to one's personal preferences, etc. If you like Windows better, that's okay. What's not gonna happen, though, is having Linux transformed into a free version of Windows.

As for your list, my understanding about #1 (also annoying to me) is that this is controlled by the app developers, not OS (Mint, Ubuntu or Debian). Some apps have a setting to manage the behavior but in my observation most don't. Mouse speed might be your hardware. At least I don't notice any difference between Windows and Mint with my Logitech trackball. There might be another file manager you would like better. I'm okay with the stock versions, so can't help there. Ditto with desktop.

Ultimately, it's a matter of working with the system as designed. That's true of Windows also. It's the nature of a mass market product. Only way out of the box would be to pay someone a lot of money to design an operating system for you personally.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:10 pm

nickname wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:52 am
1. One thing is that when I close an application in Windows (Firefox, MS Word, whatever) and then reopen it, the application window reopens with the same size and location it had when I closed it. Same goes for dialog windows. On a three-monitor set-up, this kind of thing is almost mandatory. With LM XFCE I spend far too much time trying to figure out where a dialog or window opened or IF it opened. It's only a matter of seconds, but it slows me down.

Q: Is there a way to reproduce this in with perhaps KDE or Gnome or some other desktop? Online info/reviews for desktops never seem to mention this behaviour.
Depends on your window manager. The Compiz window manager can do it (you can use that on Xfce as well), KDE's default window manager can do it, Gnome's WM doesn't.

Otherwise applications can of course individually restore their size, position, and state, if they want to. For example, Mint's Update Manager remembers its size.
nickname wrote:
2. Mouse Speed: Mint XFCE has a mechanism for this, but doesn't do anything and the mouse is waaaaay too fast and I'm constantly overshooting, even on the second, third, and fourth, etc try.

Q: Would I have better luck taming my mouse with a different desktop like KDE, Gnome, whatever?
Dunno. On MATE the sensitivity setting does basically nothing, either. You'd probably have to change it at the driver level, but I never had a reason to for my mouse works perfectly fine plus has a DPI selector, anyway.
nickname wrote:
3. Windows File Manager has tons of functionality I have yet to see in any Linux file manager.
Yes, unfortunately Linux file managers are somewhat in the stone age in many respects. I'm not aware of a single one that really gets close to Windows Explorer unfortunately. Nemo has been improving though.
nickname wrote:
Q: Are there any file managers for any version of Linux that have built-in previews for images and text/rich text/code files? Have a mechanism for configuring file previews by extension a la Windows regedit system? Multi-file renaming? Expandable/programable context menu?
The default file managers of all Mint editions support most of that. Linux doesn't typically do file types by extension though, instead each file gets analyzed as to what it actually is. Multi-renaming usually needs an extension installed, but they exist for all of them.
nickname wrote:
4. The ultimate question: What's the most technically-advanced desktop available for Linux theses days?
Ask 10 users, get 10 opinions, in particular because it's not even clear what you mean by "technically advanced". For the most Windows-like look & feel, go Cinnamon or MATE. If you want all the options, look at KDE Plasma. If you just want a slick interface, personally I like Deepin.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:43 pm

gm10 wrote:
For the most Windows-like look & feel, go Cinnamon or MATE. If you want all the options, look at KDE Plasma. If you just want a slick interface, personally I like Deepin.
I would also add the Trinity desktop to your "all the options" list.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Schultz wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:43 pm
gm10 wrote:
For the most Windows-like look & feel, go Cinnamon or MATE. If you want all the options, look at KDE Plasma. If you just want a slick interface, personally I like Deepin.
Yep, as a KDE fork that does not surprise me, but I never tried Trinity actually.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

nickname
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nickname » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:43 pm

Schultz wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:43 pm
gm10 wrote:
Excellent. Thanks, Schultz and gm. I very much appreciate the help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”