Books on how to move over from Windows 10 to Linux Mint?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
secinv
Level 1
Level 1

Books on how to move over from Windows 10 to Linux Mint?

Post by secinv » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 am

Hello Linux Mint users,

I have been researching Linux and leaning toward Linux Mint. I also joined this group over a week ago in hoping to gather enough information to initiate the process. I have been a Windows user since 1996, so this decision is a little scary in planning to initiate the upgrade. My main device is a Surface Pro 3 running on Windows 10. My SP3 is starting to give me issues, needing to refresh web pages, FB fairly often now and error messages are appearing weekly.

I need professional advice and requesting which reference books would you recommend? How should I begin the process of moving over to Linux Mint? Which flavor for a newbie?

I am thinking of making this upgrade on Friday since it is a long weekend.
I am open to any and all suggestions or advice connected to completely moving away from Windows to the opensource technology world.
Thank you,
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split off from this thread: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=97158
Thank you,

Stephen

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Books on how to move over from Windows 10 to Linux Mint?

Post by Matthew_Wai » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:23 am

secinv wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 am
I need professional advice and requesting which reference books would you recommend? How should I begin the process of moving over to Linux Mint? Which flavor for a newbie?
This newbie replaced Windows 10 with Mint Cinnamon this year. You may begin by downloading it at https://linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=267
As a poorly educated Chinese guy, I have never consulted a reference book. I just google and ask questions here.
I replaced Windows 10 with Mint on January 1, 2019. I am now using Mint 19 Cinnamon (64-bit).

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:26 am

This is a GREAT site that is maintained by one of our members here in the LM forums, "pjotr"...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

dg333
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dg333 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:28 am

Here’s a good guide:

https://www.opensuse-guide.org/switching.php

It's for openSUSE, but the ideas are universal for anyone who wants to jump the Windows ship.

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:32 am

http://rufus.ie/
The OP may use the above freeware to create a Mint live USB device, which can be used to install Mint.
I replaced Windows 10 with Mint on January 1, 2019. I am now using Mint 19 Cinnamon (64-bit).

Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Larry78723 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:33 am

I second DAMIEN's suggestion of reviewing the contents of https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/2.html. It was written by a very knowledgable member of these forums (Pjotr) and is targeted at new users of Mint.

redx87
Level 2
Level 2

Post by redx87 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:03 am

secinv wrote:
Hello Linux Mint users,

Thank you,
I can't give professional advice or recommend books. All I can say is that after years of being brainwashed by Windows I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon and haven't regretted it. I didn't need any special Linux books or pro advice because Linux help, advice, and tutorials are prolific on the web, and freely given. I'm 71 years old and I thought I'd have problems learning a new system but so far I'm mighty pleased with the progress I've made and can honestly say I love Linux Mint and have not regretted switching to it.

I'd thoroughly recommend Linux Mint 19. For ex Windows users it has the most familiar layout and is very user friendly for newbies. There are differences of course that you have to adjust to, and one of the reasons why some people go back to Windows is that they can't change their mindset and expect Linux to behave the way Windows does. If you can control that issue then learning Linux is much easier. As with anything you try to learn, patience and perseverance bring good results.

derrick1120
Level 1
Level 1

Post by derrick1120 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:11 pm

I discovered Linux Mint last October. I dual boot with Windows 10, but find these days I rarely use W10 - merely booting into it from time to time to perform the updates. My laptop is about 9 years old, so grinds to a halt with W10. I use Linux Mint MATE, and it's been a great experience.It's fast, and just works!
I have had no issues to speak of.

There are some really good people on this forum, that help tirelessly. I also find there some really good advice on YouTube. Personally, I like to follow Chris Titus Tech - who 's video's are really informative. Here are links to two of his you may like -
The first is - Windows 10 to Linux - how to plan the transition https://youtu.be/ih9P-PXQxr8

The second is The 5 reasons people go back to Windows https://youtu.be/44iu0NPnvjY

I'm not sure you need any reference book. Here is a great site, to help you with the basics. It's produced by one of this forums senior members, and is my go to guide https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html.

Take the plunge, you won't regret it :D .

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:20 pm

If you are going to COMPLETELY replace Windows with Mint, the process is fairly simple. Dual booting is a bit more complicated, but not overly so. And, in my not so very humble and extremely jaded opinion, dual booting is a waste of bits, bytes, time, and electrons :D

Find out how your MB firmware is arranged/controlled: UEFI, BIOS, or some sort of hybrid.

Download, verify, and burn a recent Mint ISO to a USB thumb drive.

Save any docs, pics, videos, and other valuable files you have on your Windows installation (99.999% of those files will be readable once you are in Mint..

Follow the Mint installer instructions found at pjotr's site or even on Mint's own download site - and remember, if you don't want your Windows installation any longer, this would be time to say goodbye, quite literally.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

capecuddy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by capecuddy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm

I got stung with a ton of problems in that recent Windoze update Microsoft touted just had to be done for security etc. A week later, I still couldn't log in to my machine. I then had to master all kinds of wonky rebooting over and over to even get to repair tools. I tried uninstalling the update that killed me, I tried backing up several restore points but nothing worked and ultimately had to do a clean install.

The effort of installing Linux Mint with Cinnamon v 19.2 (my recommendation) was a fraction of trying to recover from that friggin' update.

I'm dual booting my desktop PC and I pulled the windows plug on my Dell L501X laptop entirely with a clean Linux Mint only install. I'm not aware of any books. I was able to get by with instructions on the web.

I was terribly intimidated by anything involving the terminal until I realized I could just cut and paste from instructions given in the forums and it helps build confidence.

I'll admit I'm presently struggling with getting my wireless printer to work. Anything I need printed until I solve this one, I do with my Pixel3XL or my android tablet, or the Windows boot.

It is refreshingly smooth fast and nice vs. Windows albeit not as hugely visual as the bloated but pretty Windows. The sense of stability of Mint vs. the increasingly unstable and chaotic Windows platform is quite evident.

On my laptop, I always believed I had a defective motherboard or something for all the memory and rebooting issues I had with Windows. When I installed Linux Mint, my laptop would run for days without needing a reboot for anything other than installs or updates as required.

Color me happy.

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:05 am

If the OP wants to clean install Mint in UEFI mode, remember to create a 500 MB "EFI System Partition" before the "Ext4 journaling file system" partition: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=284713#p1573882

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:05 am
If the OP wants to clean install Mint in UEFI mode, remember to create a 500 MB "EFI System Partition" before the "Ext4 journaling file system" partition
Doesn't the installer do that by itself if you just let it do its own automatic thing? I'd be surprised if it didn't.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:36 am

Moem wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 am
Doesn't the installer do that by itself if you just let it do its own automatic thing? I'd be surprised if it didn't.
The installer will not do that if you select "Something else".

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:38 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:36 am
Moem wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 am
The installer will not do that if you select "Something else".
Which is not the automatic option. Right. So an accurate advice would be:
If the OP wants to clean install Mint in UEFI mode, remember to create a 500 MB "EFI System Partition" before the "Ext4 journaling file system" partition if you are using the 'something else' option and not the automatic option.
Most newcomers would or should not be using that 'something else' option. Let's not make things more complicated than they need to be.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Matthew_Wai
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Matthew_Wai » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 am

Moem wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:38 am
the automatic option.
If you mean the "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" option, it will automatically erase everything on the disk.
Moem wrote:
Most newcomers would or should not be using that 'something else' option. Let's not make things more complicated than they need to be.
If the OP wants to keep the data, s/he has to select "Something else". I selected it when I was a newbie replacing Windows with Mint. It is not complicated at all.

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 am

OP should however note that a Microsoft Surface tablet is approximately the worst possible option to run Linux on. Up until Ubuntu 16.04 / Mint 18.x wouldn't install OOTB and while there's reports out there that Ubuntu 18.04 / Mint 19.x does, seems you're still going to need https://github.com/jakeday/linux-surface for quite a few details. Fine for someone already familiar with Linux, a seemingly fairly direct route into Linux-hell for someone not and not interested.

Frankly, I'd advise to keep the thing on Windows 10, and possible sell it if you don't want it any more and get something more suited; they're quite popular among non-Linux users so that shouldn't be a problem...

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:11 am

rene wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 am
Frankly, I'd advise to keep the thing on Windows 10
After reading the page you linked to, I think you're quite right.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:22 am

Using the live boot option should show up any problems with hardware. They are usually graphics or Wifi chips. They usually occur on brand new machines and disappear after 6 ~ 12 months when the Linux chip support catches up.

You can switch to the latest software on Windows before the conversion or to make dual boot easier. For instance, you can switch to LibreOffice immediately. Create an NTFS shared partition for dual boot. No matter which OS is booted, you can use LibreOffice.

Windows only software can be a problem. There are questions in the forums about replacing specific applications. A recent one was about subtitling software. You could go through your most used applications, Google the Linux replacements then ask questions here if you do not find an easy replacement. The live boot test works only for the applications on the live boot and will not test other replacement applications, a good reason to research other applications.

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:55 am

secinv wrote:
My main device is a Surface Pro 3 running on Windows 10.
rene wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:57 am
OP should however note that a Microsoft Surface tablet is approximately the worst possible option to run Linux on. Frankly, I'd advise to keep the thing on Windows 10, and possible sell it if you don't want it any more and get something more suited;
I have heard horror stories about those Surface Pro machines trying to run Linux as well. I wouldnt start experimenting with a new install on a Windows machine that you need to use for daily work. Better first try out Linux on a secondhand computer. I would advice seciny to buy a secondhand Lenovo Thinkpad (T430 or T440). (150 - 250 euro/dollar max). Those Lenovo Thinkpad T430/ T440 series are worshipped on this forum for a reason, because they work excellent with LinuxMint.
secinv wrote:
I need professional advice and requesting which reference books would you recommend?
Several other forummembers already advised the excellent Easy Linux Tips Project. It's a great start to learn everything about Linux. It was my " book" to learn to understand LinuxMint as well, 2 years ago.
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
secinv wrote:
Which flavor for a newbie?
LinuxMint 19.2 Cinnamon. It is one of the most popular Linux OSes out there and for a good reason, because it is very user friendly, looks nice and resembles the way Windows looks, so you will easily find your way around.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:19 am

Matthew_Wai wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 am
Moem wrote:
the automatic option.
If you mean the "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" option, it will automatically erase everything on the disk.
Now you're just pointing out the obvious. Yes, erasing things erases them.
Matthew_Wai wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:55 am
If the OP wants to keep the data, s/he has to select "Something else". I selected it when I was a newbie replacing Windows with Mint. It is not complicated at all.
Or they could make a backup and put the data back later. Or they can choose 'Install alongside'.
When I was a total newbie, I had no idea how to make partitions. I disagree that it's 'not complicated at all'. I found it fairly intimidating back then.

Anyway, my point was that it's simply not always true that one needs to make an EFI partition. It's also possible to let the installer take care of it. Let's not move the goalposts.

Return to “Newbie Questions”