[SOLVED] Strange laptop wi-fi behavior

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mesoderm
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Strange laptop wi-fi behavior

Post by mesoderm » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:03 pm

When I first installed Linux Mint 18.3 it would not work with my Toshiba laptop's internal modem. So I got an Alfa external modem and it worked fine off-the-shelf. Yesterday I unplugged the Alfa cable and forgot to reconnect it. Viola, the laptop was working fine via the internal modem. My question is (1) Have any of the new Linux Mint kernels enabled this capacity? or (2) Could the Alfa have installed drivers that also enabled the internal modem or and (3) If not, have I somehow been hacked and had Windows drivers installed on my system?

The Toshiba originally had Windows 8.1 and I first wiped and overwrote all free space and then completely wiped the hard drive and all software before installing Linux Mint.
Last edited by mesoderm on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Strange laptop wi-fi behavior

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:58 am

No question of Windows drivers working on a Linux machine.Most probably a newer kernel is installed which has the drivers. You can boot and test to all the installed kernels by choosing advanced option in grub menu.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Strange laptop wi-fi behavior

Post by carum carvi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:34 am

deepakdeshp wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:58 am
No question of Windows drivers working on a Linux machine.Most probably a newer kernel is installed which has the drivers.
Exactly. No need to worry mesoderm. Great to see that everything works fine without an external modem. Newer kernels have indeed better support for newer hardware. You already found the answer to your own question. External drivers dont get installed without permission in LinuxMint. Linux in general is very much about YOU being in control ALL the time, unlike Windows... :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”