[Solved] Setting up for move to Linux

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
busdriver12
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Setting up for move to Linux

Post by busdriver12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:45 am

pbear wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:35 am
Be aware, you're still going to have tell the installer how much space to allocate to Mint. Figure out before you start installation. Two numbers drive the decision. How big is your hard drive? How much space does Win7 occupy? What are those numbers, by the way?
Not sure exactly how much room Windows takes, but the disk is 1TB (931GB) with it 45% occupied. The vast majority of my disk space is occupied by various files/media which I hope to migrate somewhere within /home. The vast majority of this still is also stored on Dropbox and hope to get that running under Linux at a later stage. All of these files are backed up (or soon to be) to my external HDD (2TB) so I have redundancy in my backup strategy. As a rough measure, looking at my root directory (c:\) the OS and installed software uses ~40GB. I'm looking a conservative minimum to allow Windows to function when I need it and devote the rest to Linux.
Phil

Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon Dual boot with Win 7

busdriver12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by busdriver12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:08 am

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:22 pm
Over the years I have written some elaborate VBA scripts with Excel
One other thought - in my win days I always partitioned my hard drive so I had a C: and a D:, kept all my data on D:, no data on C:. I did this because I would backup D: daily and C: infrequently (only when I installed something new). When I moved to linux and dual booted I kept my D: and then mounted that partition in mint as /home/me/data. Data sharing/exchange between the two OS was seamless - linux can read/write NTFS partitions (win can't read ext4 partitions). It also meant that the backup regime I put in place for linux took care of my win data as well. Something else for you to think about.
What an excellent idea! I recall doing something similar when I was running XP separating my data from everything else. A rough estimation puts this at ~380GB and (as per my above message) want to integrate Dropbox into the mix as it's one of my current backup strategies. I'll have to look into what's involved in partitioning the HDD under Windows before installing Linux. I realise this is contrary to my earlier statement but after reading various opinions on the subject now feel this is the way to go.

I want to state now I am extremely grateful to those of you who have taken the time to contribute and offer advice/ideas to what I am trying to achieve. I hope that it will be of benefit to others in a similar situation to myself reading this.

Also, it may also appear I am taking my time going about this. This is mainly because I am currently time poor (especially during the week) and want to carefully put everything together to get it right the first time - this involves doing a lot of research. Added to this, I will be purchasing a laptop in the near future and want to make it a 100% Linux installation once I've reached an acceptable level of proficiency on my PC.

Thanks to all!
Phil

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:24 am

Added to this, I will be purchasing a laptop in the near future and want to make it a 100% Linux installation
Save money, buy a second-hand ex-business machine. I'm a fan of thinkpads, very linux friendly, but I am biased.

For those win programs you just can't do without you can always run wine (free) or crossover (not free) - bit hit and miss on what works or doesn't or run win in a VM (virtualbox). I run office 2016 and coreldraw under win7 in a VM and also have office 2013 and an old version of photoshop running under crossover.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:23 pm

busdriver12 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:45 am
Not sure exactly how much room Windows takes, but the disk is 1TB (931GB) with it 45% occupied.
In that case, and particularly as you are inclined toward the data partition solution (which I agree is best for your situation), you would be much better served by setting up the partitions before running the installer. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's recommended to use Windows for modifying its partitions, but that's not essential. What you will want to do, though, is delete the data files (in Windows) before rearranging the partitions, then copy back in. Be aware that, in this strategy, you use the Something Else method rather than Install Alongside.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

busdriver12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by busdriver12 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:04 am

Just a quick note to let you all know I have successfully installed Linux Mint on my machine. I created an extra partition on my HDD where I moved all my files so it can be shared between the 2 OS's (dev/sda3). I was able to shrink the Windows c: drive (/dev/sda2) to leave enough room for Windows to function when I use it and leave the rest for Linux.

This is a quick shout out to those who helped get me to where I am now (I've crossed the threshold).

Let the fun begin!
Phil

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:03 am

Good Stuff, now just start using the LinuxMint System,
- as your Daily Machine & see what other issues, that you may come against.
8)
Do Post them, but in another Post, where we can address them, as you find them.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:01 am

busdriver12 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:04 am
Just a quick note to let you all know I have successfully installed Linux Mint on my machine.
Congratulations! Please edit the title of the first post in the thread to add [Solved]. This let's folks know what to expect when they open the thread. It's important to do this in the first post (not your last one or the next), as the first post is the one indexed on the main page.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

busdriver12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by busdriver12 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:24 am

pbear wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:01 am
busdriver12 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:04 am
Just a quick note to let you all know I have successfully installed Linux Mint on my machine.
Congratulations! Please edit the title of the first post in the thread to add [Solved]. This let's folks know what to expect when they open the thread. It's important to do this in the first post (not your last one or the next), as the first post is the one indexed on the main page.
All done - knew I forgot something (my head is swimming with all this info!) ;)
Phil

Return to “Newbie Questions”