change mimetype icon for .stl files

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tak21
Level 1
Level 1

change mimetype icon for .stl files

Post by tak21 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:40 am

Hi @ all,

I am using linux mint 19.2 and there is one thing I would like to change (well... actually two...): the file icon of .stl files.

The file extension is defined as a subset of "Text" and the icon used, to display a '*.stl' file in Nemo, is the same as for any text file. This is what I would like to change. I would like to have my self defined icon showing '*.stl' files in Nemo.

Now I have read a lot about mime types, file assiciations, icons, icon themes ... but I feel like getting more confused instead of finding THE solution.
Could you please help me with easy steps to accomplish changing the icon for .stl files?

Thanks upfront and best regards,
Thomas

P.s.: the second thing would be an icon for ,scad files. But I hope one leads to the other :wink:

Return to “Newbie Questions”