Dual booting W10 and Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
amit_bhattacharyya
Level 1
Level 1

Dual booting W10 and Mint

Post by amit_bhattacharyya » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:20 pm

THIS IS ACTUALLY QUESTION

Suppose I have dual boot W10 and LINUX mint in SSD and another hard disk just to store data like images and videos, files etc.
If I will divide HDD in two part one for W10 another for MINT what are the special thing I should be aware of beforehand.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Dual booting from separate disks

Post by deepakdeshp » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:35 pm

amit_bhattacharyya wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:20 pm
THIS IS ACTUALLY QUESTION

Suppose I have dual boot W10 and LINUX mint in SSD and another hard disk just to store data like images and videos, files etc.
If I will divide HDD in two part one for W10 another for MINT what are the special thing I should be aware of beforehand.
If you want to share data bet Mint and W10, the shared partition should be formatted with NTFS file system.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Dual booting W10 and Mint

Post by Moem » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:25 am

Amit_bhattacharyya, welcome to the forum; I've split your question off into a separate topic, because a new question deserves a new topic. Please keep that in mind. Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:55 am

Extending on deepakdeshp's answer, if you set up a data partition on the HDD formatted NTFS, there is no need for two of them. Both systems can use the same data partition, so you don't have to worry about syncing them. On the other hand, you can have two data partitions if you like. Be aware that Mint will not automatically mount the data partition, although it is easily mounted manually in File Manager (will appear in the left navigation pane, click to mount). You can set up the system to mount the data partition automatically, but that takes some work. See this Tutorial.

Another thing to consider. You don't mention how large the SSD, but it probably would make sense to save your Timeshift snapshots on the HDD. If so, this will require a partition formatted ext4. If you accept the suggestion to use one NTFS data partition, that can't be used for Timeshift. Instead, create a separate partition (45 GB is a good size), then configure Timeshift to use that partition (which also has to be mounted, either automatically or manually). The advantage of this strategy is that it prevents Timeshift from filling up your root partition, which is a problem some users have run into (usually because their root partition wasn't large enough to accommodate both the system and Timeshift snapshots).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

AndyMH
Level 8
Level 8

Post by AndyMH » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:56 am

What I did when I was dual booting was create an additional NTFS partition, labelled data. In win this was drive D: and I kept all my data on it, put nothing on C: other than installed programs. In mint I mounted it as /home/me/data*. Data sharing between the two OSs was painless and seamless.

* you have to edit your fstab file to do this.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:08 pm

With shared NTFS data partition, need to make sure that Win10 Fast Startup is disabled (should have been before Mint installation anyway). Otherwise it could cause file corruption.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

amit_bhattacharyya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amit_bhattacharyya » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:25 pm

I have SSD of 1 TB and 1TB HDD
HDD is lying around just want to make a good use of , what i understand I need to create partition in HDD one NTFS for linux mint another FAT for W10 and in linux mint I need to mount the partition from HDD, but my LINUX MINT OS will be installed in SSD ( which I want )

I will update this post in future with my experience , thanks you all

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:59 pm

amit_bhattacharyya wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:25 pm
I have SSD of 1 TB and 1TB HDD
HDD is lying around just want to make a good use of , what i understand I need to create partition in HDD one NTFS for linux mint another FAT for W10 and in linux mint I need to mount the partition from HDD, but my LINUX MINT OS will be installed in SSD ( which I want )

I will update this post in future with my experience , thanks you all
What we've got here is failure to communicate (sorry, can't help myself, great movie).

If HDD is to be use for shared file storage for both Win10 and Mint, you can create 1 NTFS partition. This partition will be auto-mount by Win10 as a drive but will need to be mounted as a device by Mint either manually or automatically via creation of a mount point and editing fstab. pbear also suggested creation of a 45GB ext4 partition on the HDD for Timeshift snapshot. There is no need for a FAT partition.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:16 pm

athi wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:59 pm
pbear also suggested creation of a 45GB ext4 partition on the HDD for Timeshift snapshots.
Given the size of the SSD, though, I withdraw the suggestion. :)

And agree, no FAT on a 1 TB hard drive.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Newbie Questions”