[SOLVED] Menu Search

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Fhesseti
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Menu Search

Post by Fhesseti » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:52 pm

How can I make it so that when I search for something in the menu, it can pull up results in firefox on duckduckgo much like how on windows cortana uses edge and bing?

EDIT: Thanks for the help guys it worked :) couldnt find that command anywhere on the internet and as a new linux user im liking this over windows 10 more and more
Last edited by Fhesseti on Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Menu Search

Post by JerryF » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:44 pm

I don't know of such a thing, sorry. :(
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:59 pm

What do you mean, showing the search results within the menu or typing in the menu to search in the browser like this:

(this is MATE's menu in my version of it from my PPA, the official version cannot open URLs but it has the same Internet search options)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Fhesseti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fhesseti » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Typing in the menu to search in the browser just like you have there in that screenshot, cant see any options anywhere (probs me being stupid) but i just wanna be able to search from the menu and then have it open the browser to show results

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:14 pm

It depends on your desktop environment, which you haven't told us. My above example is from MATE, as I said.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Fhesseti
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fhesseti » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Oops sorry, I'm on cinnamon, though im pretty sure ive seen it work on cinnamon before. version is 19.2

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:47 pm

You have....

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.cinnamon enabled-search-providers [\"duckduckgo@linuxmint.com\"]
will enable the default but very well-hidden duckduckgo search provider in the Cinnamon menu.

You'll need to Ctrl-Alt-Esc to restart Cinnamon having run the command.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Fhesseti
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Menu Search

Post by Fhesseti » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 pm

That worked thanks :) bit of a newbie to linux just wondering how did you find out about that? I couldnt find it anywhere theres plenty of terminal commands on the net knew it would work through the terminal but nothing came up

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [SOLVED] Menu Search

Post by smurphos » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:06 am

Fhesseti wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 pm
That worked thanks :) bit of a newbie to linux just wondering how did you find out about that? I couldnt find it anywhere theres plenty of terminal commands on the net knew it would work through the terminal but nothing came up
I discovered search providers originally via the Cinnamenu alternative menu applet - it can be added to Mint via the Applets settings module. It provides a GUI in it's config to manage them.

I then a little while later discovered the example search providers (not available by default in Cinnamon) - here https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/t ... s-examples - and made a few of my own based on the examples. Working out how to enable/disable them via command line was kind of a necessity. I did have a little pointer - viewtopic.php?t=263862

So currently I run a google search, and a chrome-history provider....

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Newbie Questions”