How do I mount a drive through a folder icon?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
carver
Level 1
Level 1

How do I mount a drive through a folder icon?

Post by carver » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Hello all,

I have a drive, WDMyCloudMirror, that shows up as a folder in my network window. When I click on it I get the Unable to mount location error. I have been successful mounting it through the terminal but still get the mount error when I click the icon. How do I set things up so I can click on the icon and open the drive? I've found a lot of info online about mounting drives but can't find any about how to associate the drive to the folder.
Background info:
Me: Linux newbie
Computer: Acer Aspire E15 (new)
Software: Mint 19.1 dual boot with Windows 10 (pre-installed). Nemo 4.0.6 file manager.
Network drive: WD MyCloudMirror raid configuration 2) 4TB drives, 8TB total

TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do I mount a drive through a folder icon?

Post by TI58C » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:43 am

Hi carver,

Welcome to the linux mint forum.
Unfortunately, I do not know anything about networks or samba, so cannot help you. But as you did not get an answer and are now down on page 4 of the "newbie questions, I hope that this "reply" (although its is a non-answer), will "bump" your question to the top of the list again.

Can anyone here help this new forum-member ?

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

frostymusic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frostymusic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Hi, this might be an answer for you. In mint there is a utility called Disks. Simply open disks, choose your drive and there is a > button on the left side of the device shown. Click on that > and it should mount your drive.

TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:26 pm

frostymusic wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:17 pm
Hi, this might be an answer for you. In mint there is a utility called Disks. Simply open disks, choose your drive and there is a > button on the left side of the device shown. Click on that > and it should mount your drive.
As far as I know "Disks " will only show local drives, NOT a network drive like NAS.

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

frostymusic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frostymusic » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Good point Robert, I have 2 external drives, WD using USB, they function the same as internal drives. I don't have a NAS to try on my end, so good luck in your search for solution.

Terry

Return to “Newbie Questions”