Help with error message [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
UNMO1
Level 1
Level 1

Help with error message [SOLVED]

Post by UNMO1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Good morning, I hope someone can help with what is undoubtedly a simple issue but beyond me. I am very new to Mint.
I opened my Updater to update 11 items the system said needed updating. I then got a message that some other programs would be updated as well. I selected OK and got an error message that I am not familiar with:

Code: Select all

E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. 
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.
What do I do to remove this and allow the updates?

Thank you

Moem, Thank you so much for your help and for your quick reply. I followed your directions and everything went as smoothly as it could. Best for your week.
Last edited by UNMO1 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Help with error message

Post by Moem » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:14 pm

Hello,
Here's what you do:
- Close the Update Manager.
- Open a terminal. One way to do that is by typing Ctrl+Alt+t.
- Copy the command below. Select it and press Ctrl+c.

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --configure -a
- Paste the command into the terminal window. The easiest way to do that is by leftclicking inside the terminal window and then clicking your middle mouse button. Press Enter.
- You will be prompted for your password. Type it and press Enter.

That should fix it. Close the terminal window and try the update again.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”