Login problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
SeanNZ
Level 1
Level 1

Login problems

Post by SeanNZ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 pm

I've been happily running Linux Mint on my laptop for well over a year but suddenly when I came to log in this week it asked for a login password. Only problem is I did not create a login password to start with. Instead opting to simply have a master for logging into browsers and updating the system.

I tried using that password but it does not work! I have no idea where this log in came from or why its even there. I wonder if someone hasn't hacked my system? I suspect I might need to do a complete re-install but this is going to mean a lot of effort goes down the drain and a few files I had not had the chance to back up too.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there a "work around".

As always any help gratefully appreciated.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Login problems

Post by karlchen » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

SeanNZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SeanNZ » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:58 pm

There never was a login password to start with. It simply appeared. Only a master password. May be easier to reinstall I suspect.

Still thanks for the link. Appreciated.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:49 am

Hello, SeanNZ.

On the operating system level, there is no such thing as a master password.
When you installed Linux Mint the installer will have asked you to create a first Linux Mint user account.
Let us assume that you named the account seannz.
This user seannz has been created by the installer as a user of type "administrative user". This means that this user is a member of the user group sudo. Members of the user group sudo are permitted to run commands and applications with root permissions.
In order to do so they have to authenticate by entering their own password.
As a consequence, when creating user account seannz the installer will have asked for a password. This is the password of user seannz.

If now for which ever reasons this password is no longer accepted or you simply do not remember this password any longer, the steps given by forum user pjotr will help recover from this problem without re-installing from scratch.

Regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Return to “Newbie Questions”