Not authorised to control networking: have netdev

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rhintintin
Level 1
Level 1

Not authorised to control networking: have netdev

Post by rhintintin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:31 pm

So I've really done a number on my install.

I'm not able to control networking. Nor can I mount USB drives.

I get the error message "not authorised to contorl networking" when attempting to connect to a wireless network.

When I click the USB drive I have plugged in I get an error "unable to mount xxxx" "Not authorised to perform operation"

This was all working earlier.

The only thing I can think that I changed is that I installed a samba share and caja-share

There are a few people having this problem when I've searched, however the solutions don't seem to be working.

Specifically, I have attempted to add Netdev and sudo to my user using command line (usermod) and via the GUI. The GUI suggests that I do have netdev and sudo on the profile.

I additionally attempted to create a new user to see if that would help me out. That new user, despite also having seemingly the correct permissions, does not allow me to carry out these task.

Any ideas on what I can do to get this functionality back?

Thanks

rtt

rhintintin
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Not authorised to control networking: have netdev

Post by rhintintin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:52 pm

Ugh. So I worked out how to uninstal from the command line and uninstalled Samba. All functionality appears to be reinstated.

Although that means I'm back to square one attempting to make my USB harddrive available on my network!

Return to “Newbie Questions”