Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
User avatar
Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am
Location: Porthmadog, UK

Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by Bara-Bus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:14 am

On one window I'm copying noobs to sd card. Then on another window moving files from one directory to another crashes the system.

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by Larry78723 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:02 am

You've made a statement. Now, what is your question? Also, please post an inxi -Fxz report. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Open a terminal window. Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

Code: Select all

 inxi -Fxzd 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry
Image

User avatar
Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am
Location: Porthmadog, UK

Re: Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by Bara-Bus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:28 am

Code: Select all

System:
  Host: nuc7 Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10 Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa 
  base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic 
Machine:
  Type: N/A System: Intel product: NUC7PJYH v: J67992-400 serial: <filter> 
  Mobo: Intel model: NUC7JYB v: J67969-400 serial: <filter> UEFI: Intel 
  v: JYGLKCPX.86A.0050.2019.0418.1441 date: 04/18/2019 
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Pentium Silver J5005 bits: 64 type: MCP 
  arch: Goldmont Plus rev: 1 L2 cache: 4096 KiB 
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 11980 
  Speed: 733 MHz min/max: 800/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 789 2: 794 
  3: 792 4: 777 
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
  resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 605 (Geminilake) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.8 direct render: Yes 
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:0e.0 
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-20-generic 
Network:
  Device-1: Intel driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 00:0c.0 
  IF: wlo2 state: up mac: <filter> 
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet 
  vendor: Intel driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus ID: 02:00.0 
  IF: eno1 state: down mac: <filter> 
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.86 TiB used: 1.06 TiB (57.0%) 
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Crucial model: CT525MX300SSD1 size: 489.05 GiB 
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD Elements 10B8 
  size: 1.36 TiB 
  ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Generic model: STORAGE DEVICE 
  size: 14.56 GiB 
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 471.70 GiB used: 34.32 GiB (7.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1 
  ID-2: /boot size: 704.5 MiB used: 89.8 MiB (12.7%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2 
  ID-3: swap-1 size: 7.59 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-3 
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0 C mobo: N/A 
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Info:
  Processes: 243 Uptime: 58m Memory: 7.38 GiB used: 2.23 GiB (30.2%) 
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 
  inxi: 3.0.27 
No question just a statement of fact.

User avatar
Larry78723
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 pm
Location: Jasper County, SC, USA

Re: Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by Larry78723 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:38 am

Larry78723 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:02 am
You've made a statement. Now, what is your question?
Bara-Bus wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:28 am

No question just a statement of fact.
So, how can we help?
Image

rene
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by rene » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:45 am

Larry78723 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:38 am
So, how can we help?
He is helping by reporting a bug. Or, well, potentially helping, seeing as how this forum is not in fact payed much attention to by Mint developers (assuming Cinnamon/Nemo, https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues could be more useful) but bugreports are vital to any software project, understaffed open-source projects doubly.

User avatar
Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am
Location: Porthmadog, UK

Re: Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by Bara-Bus » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:57 am

rene wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:45 am
Larry78723 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:38 am
So, how can we help?
He is helping by reporting a bug. Or, well, potentially helping, seeing as how this forum is not in fact payed much attention to by Mint developers (assuming Cinnamon/Nemo, https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues could be more useful) but bugreports are vital to any software project, understaffed open-source projects doubly.
That's right rene.
Thanks for the direction point to Nemo developer.

User avatar
karlchen
Level 20
Level 20
Posts: 11214
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:21 am
Location: Germany

Re: Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by karlchen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:10 pm

Bara-Bus wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:14 am
On one window I'm copying noobs to sd card. Then on another window moving files from one directory to another crashes the system.
Sorry to say so, but Larry78723 is right. This one-liner is a statement. No more, no less.
This is not a bug report, e.g. because
+ all relevant technical details are absent
+ no way is given on how to reproduce the problem

In brief words: no developer is going to accept such a one line statement as a bug report.

If anyone seriously wishes to report bugs then they should carefully read Linux Mint Troubleshooting Guide, before creating a bug report.

Prefixing the word "bug" to a post title does not turn the post into a bug report.
Image
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

rene
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 3603
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by rene » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:42 pm

karlchen wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:10 pm
+ no way is given on how to reproduce the problem
Of course there is. Copy a large file to an SD card in one window, in another window move files from one directory to another. Probably not enough to reproduce on all systems -- or maybe it is, I haven't checked. It is in any case the type of report where a developer will if necessary know what additional information to request.

The fact that this forum is not a good place for bug reports is not iimmediately clear to new users, In fact, I find Mint's sometimes bewilderingly daft bug reporting infrastructure (i.e., the "comments on a beta announcement blog entry" thing) to be a major disservice to the project and as such, I feel it's more valuable to guide bug reporters to a more proper venue than to approach them as was being done above.

User avatar
Bara-Bus
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:31 am
Location: Porthmadog, UK

Re: Bug: When copying noobs (RPi) to SD

Post by Bara-Bus » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 am

rene wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:42 pm
karlchen wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:10 pm
+ no way is given on how to reproduce the problem
Of course there is. Copy a large file to an SD card in one window, in another window move files from one directory to another. Probably not enough to reproduce on all systems -- or maybe it is, I haven't checked. It is in any case the type of report where a developer will if necessary know what additional information to request.

The fact that this forum is not a good place for bug reports is not iimmediately clear to new users, In fact, I find Mint's sometimes bewilderingly daft bug reporting infrastructure (i.e., the "comments on a beta announcement blog entry" thing) to be a major disservice to the project and as such, I feel it's more valuable to guide bug reporters to a more proper venue than to approach them as was being done above.
Well said.
I've tried reporting several bugs but honestly getting nowhere.
I've just bought a new Viewsonic XG3220 monitor, and I have to use a tv to access Linuxmint to update every-time I start my PC so that the driver will load. Just another Bug, I know it's fairly new monitor and so the drivers are "Whatever" until an update of drivers are put "out".
I'm good at finding bugs but absolutely useless at posting them.

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”