Resolution resets when I turn on one of the monitors without the other

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
1337ingDisorder
Level 2
Level 2

Resolution resets when I turn on one of the monitors without the other

Post by 1337ingDisorder » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:44 am

Hi folks,

Not sure if this should be a software or hardware question, so I figured the 'newbie questions' section was a good place to start.

I've been using Mint for years, currently using 18.3 and it's great, except for a new problem that's just cropped up.

A couple days ago I added a second monitor. (Monitor 1 is a Samsung 65" TV, Monitor 2 is a Samsung 50" TV)

I've set nvidia-settings to mirror the output on both displays, so that I can have the same display output on both, and I've saved the X configuration. This appears to work as expected, as long as I don't turn either monitor off. I can reboot, relog, etc, and as long as both monitors are turned on, it remembers that I want to have Monitor 1 set as Absolute 0,0 with resolution 1920x1080, and Monitor 2 set as "Same as" Monitor 1.

Also if I turn off just one monitor then it seems to have no problem retaining the settings. (Either one, doesn't matter which.)

But if I turn off both monitors, then turn on just one of them, Mint seems to decide for me that I want to change my display settings to something no human would ever use. It turns the mirrored display into an extended desktop, like it just assumes both displays are side-by-side (they aren't) and it sets the resolution to something absurd. Not sure the exact figures but I'd guess something like 800x800, stretched out way wide over the wide-screen monitors.

If I leave the monitor on and log out then log back in, as soon as I drop to the login screen it seems to realise it screwed up and it resets the display output to mirrored @ 1080p.

Is there a setting somewhere like "Remember X11 settings even if the user turns the monitors off" ?

Return to “Newbie Questions”