[SOLVED] Libre Office not printing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Finston Pickle
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Libre Office not printing

Post by Finston Pickle » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Strange one this. Printing has been worling fine since I installed the dual boot set up on my old, but high end, Desktop PC

Now the Mint Cinnamon 19.2 O/S printer test page prints fine.

However, Libre office .doc document (on the Mint O/S) does not print at all, in spite of encouraging graphical print progress (seems to br printing).

Its a dual boot machine running Windows XP on the other drive. Open Office similarly will not print .doc from WinXP.

I've switched off all power to see if a fresh restart in the morning helps.

Any other ideas?

F. P.
Last edited by Finston Pickle on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SprinterDriver
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Libre Office not printing

Post by SprinterDriver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:48 pm

Could it be a problem with the black ink in the printer?

If ink cartridge is recently replaced, make sure that te piece of tape is removed (this affct many ink printers, not neccesary all).

What happens if you export to PDF, and then print from the exported PDF file ?
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:41 am

SprinterDriver wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:48 pm
Could it be a problem with the black ink in the printer?

If ink cartridge is recently replaced, make sure that te piece of tape is removed (this affct many ink printers, not neccesary all).

What happens if you export to PDF, and then print from the exported PDF file ?
I think this approach is right - try to identify if it's LibreOffice, specifically, or something else by exporting a PDF and trying to print that from PDF software instead of LibreOffice. (PDF always makes a good review copy for print output without wasting time, ink and paper on something wrong.)

Also note that *.DOC is an old, possibly troublesome MS Office format. While preserving your originals, to print directly from LO I'd try converting copies to the current supported LibreOffice ODF document format, or to a newer Microsoft format like *.DOCX that might handle old Word files more cleanly - see if that conversion mucks up the page format or anything else, and then try printing from LibreOffice.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M18.3 XFCE (Dell 1520) 64 bit. Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop) 64 bit. Persistent live USB pretesting M19.2 Cinnamon and XFCE.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:46 am

Had to chime in. Any particular reason you're running XP? Extended support stopped 5 years ago.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kato181 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Finston Pickle wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:35 pm
Strange one this. Printing has been worling fine since I installed the dual boot set up on my old, but high end, Desktop PC

Now the Mint Cinnamon 19.2 O/S printer test page prints fine.

However, Libre office .doc document (on the Mint O/S) does not print at all, in spite of encouraging graphical print progress (seems to br printing).

Its a dual boot machine running Windows XP on the other drive. Open Office similarly will not print .doc from WinXP.

I've switched off all power to see if a fresh restart in the morning helps.

Any other ideas?

F. P.
What version of Libreoffice are you using? Are the *.doc actual ms office documents?, if so, then have you installed the ms fonts, again if not then install them from software manager and see if that fixes your print problems
good luck

Finston Pickle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Finston Pickle » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 am

Back to my Desktop PC after a week or two cooling off period. I am running Zorin O/S on my main laptop.

Everything working fine again with the old desktop.

It's remarkable how switching off and on can often cure these digital issues.

Thanks very much for all the helpful replies - I hope that others will find them useful.

P.S.I am keeping my old Windows XP alive because of the software and business information on it - even though it is unsupported these last few years (it chugs on and is never online). I now have it dual booting on the second drive with Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2, which I find is working well even on this ten years old+ high spec Mesh PC.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am

The concern with XP is that as unsupported software (unless you are paying for private support!), it's a security risk - and a high one. I understand that sometimes Windows is an unfortunate necessity in the business world, but with no security updates your business data is at risk. Period.

If there is no Linux solution available for your business use case, then a Windows upgrade is the best way to protect your interests.

Not trying to be nosey, just a little advice ...
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:56 pm

jglen490 wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:22 am
The concern with XP is that as unsupported software (unless you are paying for private support!), it's a security risk - and a high one. I understand that sometimes Windows is an unfortunate necessity in the business world, but with no security updates your business data is at risk. Period.

If there is no Linux solution available for your business use case, then a Windows upgrade is the best way to protect your interests.

Not trying to be nosey, just a little advice ...
Finston has said that XP doesn't go online, so I think there isn't a problem with a security risk.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: [SOLVED] Libre Office not printing

Post by AZgl1500 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:04 pm

I have a buddy with 5 WinXP machines who refuses to update them.

His wife bought a Win10 laptop for their business use, but still uses the XP machine for all of her Spreadsheet work.

kato181
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Libre Office not printing

Post by kato181 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:38 am

Heheheh...Why fix something that is working like a charm I say.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:20 am

Finston Pickle wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:06 am
Back to my Desktop PC after a week or two cooling off period. I am running Zorin O/S on my main laptop.

Everything working fine again with the old desktop.

It's remarkable how switching off and on can often cure these digital issues.

Thanks very much for all the helpful replies - I hope that others will find them useful.

P.S.I am keeping my old Windows XP alive because of the software and business information on it - even though it is unsupported these last few years (it chugs on and is never online). I now have it dual booting on the second drive with Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2, which I find is working well even on this ten years old+ high spec Mesh PC.
I'd generally agree that keeping XP offline should spare security issues, but would caution about dual boot set ups. XP will not be able to read bad files from a Mint partition file format, but an online Mint user could mount and save bad things to a Windows format partition, either C: drive or external storage, that Mint itself is immune to and doesn't see. For example, using Mint to receive emailed MS Office documents or PDFs would open a pathway to infecting the XP install. I dropped XP a year or so after end of life on my Dell laptop when third-party A/V lapsed, and like others, will be figuring out how to manage a few remaining Windows needs as W7 loses support.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. M18.3 XFCE (Dell 1520) 64 bit. Dual booting M19.1 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M19.1 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop) 64 bit. Persistent live USB pretesting M19.2 Cinnamon and XFCE.

Return to “Newbie Questions”