Mint 19.2 - Problems with clicking

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
iisoppi
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19.2 - Problems with clicking

Post by iisoppi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm

I have recently upgraded from 19.1 to 19.2 by doing a fresh install. The biggest problem I have has to do with the touchpad/clicking. I am struggling with the correct terms for these things, so I'll try my best to explain. Before I was able to to use the left clicker, touch it once, and then open programs, windows, etc. Now I have to instead use the right clicker in order to do this. I have tried messing around with every option in the mouse and touchpad settings, but I can't fix this. My tendons are feeling like they're ripping apart, so I apologize if this has been asked before, but I simply don't know what to do. My hands need a break and I can't keep messing around with settings randomly hoping they will work. Thank you for taking the time to read my message and help is beyond welcome.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint 19.2 - Problems with clicking

Post by pbear » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:54 pm

Hello iisoppi, welcome to the Forums. Which desktop are you using, Cinnamon, Mate or XFCE?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

iisoppi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iisoppi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 pm

I am using the Cinnamon desktop. Thank you.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:20 pm

Alas, I'm unable to reproduce this. I mostly use Mate, but last night I installed a Cinnamon 19.2 VM in VirtualBox so I could take a look. In that environment, at least, my touchpad works fine. I suggest you edit the thread title of your first post (that's the one indexed on the main forum page) to something like "Touchpad not working correctly in Cinnamon 19.2." That's more likely to catch the eye of someone who can help.

Meanwhile, for completeness, I infer the touchpad worked fine in Cinnamon 19.1. Please confirm. Also, it would help to have information about your system. Go to Menu > Administration > System Reports. Click the Copy button, then paste that information into your next post. Good luck.

TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:24 am

Are you using caja as file manager ?

Then , in caja, you might try menu Edit-> Preferences-> tab Behavior. At the top of that tab, under header "Behavior", you can select either
Single click to open items
or
Double click to open items

Double click is the default. You might try "Single click to open items"

Robert

EDIT:

PS: something else to consider. Recently had probems with left-clicking mouse. Tried a lot, no joy. Replaced mouse. Problem solved. After a few years, the switch of the left-button on your mouse (the one you use the most), may get dirty or worn-out. Ever tried tou count how namy times you-left-click on just a single day ? hardware can and will fail too.
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Was going to suggest something similar if the touchpad can't be gotten to work. I'm particularly fond of the Logitech trackball, finding it easier to use than a mouse and less stressful on the fingers.

Return to “Newbie Questions”