[SOLVED] How to Fix Brother Printer?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JEM8234

[SOLVED] How to Fix Brother Printer?

Post by JEM8234 »

I have a Brother MFC-L2710DW All in One Printer, Scanner, and Fax. Initially when I set up the printer with Linux Mint the day after Christmas 2018, I was able to print only. Now I can not do that, It prints reams of blank pages, nothing prints. It was set up via Wi-Fi and I was told via If Its Foss that a USB connection would be better so I currently have it connected via USB. I have a 64 bit system and the latest version of Mint. This is my final attempt at this...I will go back to Windows if I can not print or scan, I have no choice. Keep in mind Brother is truly an awful software company, I have to download new Brother printer software almost every other month if Windows does a major update. I have used Windows since 1995 and although it is crazy; I am familiar with Windows. I would hope to be as familiar with Linux in time. I have read almost every posted article on how to fix, or update my printer issue and none have worked so far. I will happily answer questions if you are in need of further details. I appreciate your help, Thank you,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How to Fix Brother Printer?

Post by RIH »

Have you tried downloading the deb drivers from here??
https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... w_us_eu_as

I read, somewhere, that they should be installed as / root, rather than as a user - so don't know if that helps..
JEM8234

Post by JEM8234 »

I have installed the drivers .deb and currently have them via zip file on my system. Tried this viewtopic.php?t=192418 topic. Still get empty paper printing. Thanks for ideas though,
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

Post by coffee412 »

On the Brother download page you should use the installer app instead of the individual deb files.

I would make sure no printer is configured on system and start with the installer app. I run a MFC-9125CN via its built in network card but you can do USB. I frown on Wireless as there are too many problems with wireless printing even in Windows.

Shouldnt be too hard to get this running. Read the Instructions for installation and setting up scanning also.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxonin »

I do have two brother printers, on Linux Mint, such as the 'HL-2150N', and they do work fine. In the past I did have plenty of 'offline' troubles, both on Windows and Linux, but no more! I apply the RJ-45, connection network-cable. Then I switch on the printer. On Linux mint menu, I search for 'printers', then 'add printer', and Linux Mint automatically goes through the detection process, on the network, detects the printer, and gives advice which driver to take, you also see your Brother model on the drivers'list. Then, when having installed the driver, it asks whether you want to print out a test page, and you are in business! It is really that easy -- just give it a try! :D
JEM8234

Post by JEM8234 »

As I have said in my original post, my printer is detected and prints only blank pages until I stop it. It will not print anything sent to it. This does not even consider, I have never been able to scan.

I am working with the Driver Install Tool under .deb

Thank you for suggestions, does anyone know how to fix this issue?
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by exxonin »

The problem is your printer, not the operating system! Does your printer have enough ink? Often scanners do not function, if ink-printing cartridges are not present, or well placed. Best advice would be: get in touch with Brother's help desk, they are willing to help fix the printer's problem. Usually, they have a local help desk in your country, as well. From my own experience they are very friendly people, trying to resolve your problem, with the printer.
JEM8234

Post by JEM8234 »

I am sorry, I sound so stupid. I print with this printer in Windows daily, and yes it has plenty of toner. Brother will not for any reason help with Linux issues, period. The Brother help desk has warned me never to call or email about Linux issues or I could potentially be banned from their site altogether.

Please forgive me for my frustration; I have been dealing with this for over 6 months. I have a dual-boot system with Windows and Linux, I have a Cinnamon desktop.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi JEM8234,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. With the printer connected using USB, If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

FYI: The Brother printer installation script appears to do exactly the same thing as installing their deb files. You must install, or check to make sure it is installed, the "LPR" from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" as well as their deb files.

Try going into printers menu and removing all Brother printer entries, turning off the computer and the printer, restarting the computer, then turn on the printer and give it some time to be recognized, then go into printers menu and adding the printer back and selecting it as the default printer, print a test page to make sure it is working.

I had no problems connecting my Brother MFC-J491DW Multi-Function Printer (MFP) with scanner and fax to my Linux system using the USB cable and it works well so far. I did install the deb files first, and for testing I enabled the WiFi connect feature and my Linux system automatically detected that and created another printer entry for printing through the WiFi if I wanted to do that versus through USB cable.

The only thing I could not figure out (yet) how to do so far is to send a fax from a document or image file from my Linux system to my MFP Brother printer although the printer can do so by itself without using a computer.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
LogMan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by LogMan »

JEM8234 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:06 am The Brother help desk has warned me never to call or email about Linux issues or I could potentially be banned from their site altogether.
Wow That is bizarre !!
If they said that to me I would be going to management and put in a serious complaint.

Having said that, I have 2 Brother printers, a HL-2320D monochrome and an MFC-9130CW colour and they have both worked flawlessly with Win10 and Linux Ubuntu 18.04 and Mint 19.2

They are both connected via USB.

I didn't have to download any drivers, Ubuntu and Mint just installed them automatically, and I haven't had to d/l anything monthly like you say you have to do.

Sorry I have no solution, must be very frustrating for you.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
JEM8234

Post by JEM8234 »

This is not solved, the information in no way relates to my problem or is close to a solution to my problem. I have already tried all this. Still printing blank pages.....
Yes it is frustrating, and yes I spoke to the head of Brother customer service who said, "this is your problem, not ours".
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

So, have you done this from phd's post above.
It would help to know more about your system setup. With the printer connected using USB, If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
JEM8234

Post by JEM8234 »

I really appreciate everyone's help. Someone emailed several times today and helped me solve my issue. I am sure I will be asking questions in the future that are more relevant to everyone I hope. Thank you all very much,
exxonin
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] How to Fix Brother Printer?

Post by exxonin »

It would be helpful, for someone else, as well, if you told us what the complication was. Why did your system only print blank pages? What was the secret, why your printer, and scanner did not function on Linux Mint, whilst it did so on Windows! For you it may be called 'solved', but for us it is still 'unsolved', if you keep the solution just to yourself. :wink:
Last edited by exxonin on Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
decrepit
Level 5
Level 5

Post by decrepit »

exxonin wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:21 am It would be helpful, for someone else, >>>
Totally agree, this site is about solutions, the more we have the better.
dsctr

Post by dsctr »

I have a brother mfp-j450dw printer that is connected to a desk top (mint 19.2, & win7 dual boot) with usb cable. I have got the printer to work for printing and scanning to the desktop.

I Also have a hp laptop with mint 19.2 that is used with wifi only. I downloaded the drives like I did with the desk top and all seems good, but I am not able to print from the laptop using the same brother printer using wifi. laptop states all is good, print test page, but nothing happens.

Shouldn't I be able to use the same printer, desk top wired and laptop wifi?

Return to “Beginner Questions”