Xfce shortcuts like Cinnamon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Erato85
Level 1
Level 1

Xfce shortcuts like Cinnamon

Post by Erato85 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:31 am

I absolutely love Linux Mint. From all the different versions Mint is my favourite!!
Though I love Mint Cinnamon. It's a little slow on my (old) laptop.

So I'll give Mint Xfce a go. It's been told it's less demanding.

So I'm running a live session of Mint Xfce and everything looks almost the same.
I don't really care much for the look except for Ubuntu.. Not my thing.
But in Cinnamon I can hold the "win" or super key to place my window in any corner I like
or use it for any other shortcut. This I seem to miss in Xfce.
But I've been told you can almost alter/tweak everything in your Linux distro.

So is it possible to "create" or turn on this shortcut combination
(Super-key arrows and place your window in any of the 4 corners, half the size, etc.)

I don't mind getting my hands dirty!! Don't mind reading a lot either.

I really hope there is a solution. If not, I'm open to any distro as long as it's not like
the Ubuntu environment. The menu belongs on top or on the bottom.

Greets,
Michel

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Xfce shortcuts like Cinamon

Post by zcot » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:54 am

You can directly set keyboard shortcuts for tiling windows into the corners with "Window Manager - Keyboard" options.

But "Hot Corners" is the feature you are talking about. There is probably some plugins or 3rd party programs that can provide this kind of options.

ColdBootII
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Xfce shortcuts like Cinnamon

Post by ColdBootII » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:26 pm

Hi Michel,

The simplest way and one immediately available in Mint Xfce is to switch to Compiz as the Window Manager (you don't have to install anything). Then, I'm not sure of it, check if Grid plugin is enabled, and if not, enable it. i.e. the shortcut to put active window to upper left corner (quarter size) is Ctrl+Alt+7(from the keypad) but you can easily change all key combos to anything that suits you on Bindings tab. Also, you can do the same by dragging with the mouse, you don't even have to hold the Super key.

Cheers.

Erato85
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Xfce shortcuts like Cinamon

Post by Erato85 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:07 pm

zcot wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:54 am
You can directly set keyboard shortcuts for tiling windows into the corners with "Window Manager - Keyboard" options.

But "Hot Corners" is the feature you are talking about. There is probably some plugins or 3rd party programs that can provide this kind of options.
Dear Zcot,

Thank you very much for your reply. I'll have a look see very soon!!
:D

Thank you!!

Erato85
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Xfce shortcuts like Cinnamon

Post by Erato85 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:10 pm

ColdBootII wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:26 pm
Hi Michel,

The simplest way and one immediately available in Mint Xfce is to switch to Compiz as the Window Manager (you don't have to install anything). Then, I'm not sure of it, check if Grid plugin is enabled, and if not, enable it. i.e. the shortcut to put active window to upper left corner (quarter size) is Ctrl+Alt+7(from the keypad) but you can easily change all key combos to anything that suits you on Bindings tab. Also, you can do the same by dragging with the mouse, you don't even have to hold the Super key.

Cheers.
Dear ColdBootII,

Thank you very much for you reply!!
I think this might be the missing link in my search for the ultimate Linux experience.

Thank you very much!!
:D
Greets!!

Return to “Newbie Questions”