[SOLVED]Out of my depth ....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
akstirling
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED]Out of my depth ....

Post by akstirling » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:15 am

Was in the process of trying to install 19.2 on a drive containing W7 in my Lenovo Thinkpad X230 .... Linux setup picked up the fact of W7 being there and asked if I wished to install alongside it .... selected yes and Linux ran the install .... but .... when I tried to reboot I got a message which punted me into:

Intel Boot Agent GE (Brackets are mine)
Setup Menu (indicating a series of selectable options as follows):

Network Boot Protocol PXE (Preboot Execution Environment)
Boot Order Use Bios Set-up Boot Order
Show Setup Prompt Enabled
Setup Menu Wait Time 2 seconds
Can also select 'Diagnostic Support Information' (Items in Italics are the choices available for selection)
KEY PRESSES: esc -cancel changes space - change value enter -next option F4 - save configuration
So any advice as to which I should select??
Last edited by akstirling on Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Out of my depth ....

Post by athi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:43 am

akstirling wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:15 am
Was in the process of trying to install 19.2 on a drive containing W7 in my Lenovo Thinkpad X230 .... Linux setup picked up the fact of W7 being there and asked if I wished to install alongside it .... selected yes and Linux ran the install .... but .... when I tried to reboot I got a message which punted me into:

Intel Boot Agent GE (Brackets are mine)
Setup Menu (indicating a series of selectable options as follows):

Network Boot Protocol PXE (Preboot Execution Environment)
Boot Order Use Bios Set-up Boot Order
Show Setup Prompt Enabled
Setup Menu Wait Time 2 seconds
Can also select 'Diagnostic Support Information' (Items in Italics are the choices available for selection)
KEY PRESSES: esc -cancel changes space - change value enter -next option F4 - save configuration
So any advice as to which I should select??
Select Boot Order - Use Bios Set-up Boot Order

You can disable Intel PXE in BIOS setup to disable this annoyance.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TI58C » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:34 am

athi wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:43 am

Select Boot Order - Use Bios Set-up Boot Order

You can disable Intel PXE in BIOS setup to disable this annoyance.
I'm afraid that's a bit too simple.
Normally, the PXE boot-option is the last choice. System tries to boot from hdd, cd, usb (depending on priority set in BIOS)
If you get the PxE message, it means that no other bootable device was found.
Are you sure you used the correct setup ? Specifically UEFI versus MBR ?

Are you still able to boot from live-USB ?

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:26 am

Robert, you are correct. Thought it was just a boot order thing and forgot why you would get the PXE boot.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED]Out of my depth ....

Post by TI58C » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:36 pm

Hi akstirling,

saw you marked this as solved.

Would you mind telling us HOW you solved it ? I for one am very curiuous,

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.

akstirling
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]Out of my depth ....

Post by akstirling » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:10 pm

Given that I found myself going round in circles in the dark (i find many of Linux's complexities leave me for dead in the dark) I handed the matter over to the finer sensibilities of Dban which took me back to a fresh and welcome restart ..... that said for all the reservations i have vis-a-vis Linux and my ability to cope with its convolutions, W10 for me will never be an option, pure and simple .....

Return to “Newbie Questions”