[Solved] How To Install MS Calibri Font In Libre Office

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
psmith10

[Solved] How To Install MS Calibri Font In Libre Office

Post by psmith10 »

Hello,

I would like to install MS Calibri font in Libre Office. MS Calibri font is not included in the mscorefonts package. I was told I needed to install it separately. I did some research about this topic, found a video of Chris Titus Tech installing Calibri on Arch using the following format:

$ yay -S ttf-vista-fonts

what is the equivalent format for Linux mint to install MS Calibri font?

He did say in the video, you do it differently on Debian. He posted a bash file (listed below) for Debian user who wants to install the font. He did not provide any instructions with the Debian bash file.

wget -qO- http://plasmasturm.org/dl/vistafonts-... | bash

Can anybody provide clear step-by-step instructions on how to install MS Calibri font with the bash file?
Last edited by psmith10 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How To Install MS Calibri Font In Libre Office

Post by Moem »

The easy way to download and install a font:

- Download the .ttf file for the font.
- Open the font that now resides in youre download folder. It should open in Font Viewer.
- Click on Install.

That's it. That's all. Once it's installed, it should also appear in Libre Office; there is no need (and as far as I know, no way) to separately install it for that program.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

I'm sure Moem's advice is right, and that might be the easiest route to follow.

If you happen to have a dual-boot set up with Windows (as I do) then it is very simple to install any and all MS fonts in Linux Mint OpenOffice essentially by a 'copy-and-paste' process.

It is apparently almost as easy to do the same thing by copying the fonts from a separate Windows computer on to a USB stick, and then moving them over to install in your Linux Mint system.

See the more detailed explanation of these and other ways to do it in the article at https://www.pcworld.com/article/2863497 ... uites.html.

Hope this helps - it certainly avoids messing around with bash scripts and the terminal!
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Consider replacing Calibri with Carlito, a free replacement for the MS (proprietary) font. While you are at it, replace MS Cambria with Caladea. These fonts are made by Google, and they are free.

Open a terminal and Copy/Paste this command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install fonts-crosextra-carlito fonts-crosextra-caladea

You can find this and many other useful tips, tricks and advice at the Easy Linux Tips Project. https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/1.html
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
psmith10

Post by psmith10 »

Than you, got it now. I now have Calibri font on Libre Office.

Thanks BenTrabetere, i added these 2 Google fonts .
nnkoana

Post by nnkoana »

Moem wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:44 pm The easy way to download and install a font:

- Download the .ttf file for the font.
- Open the font that now resides in youre download folder. It should open in Font Viewer.
- Click on Install.

That's it. That's all. Once it's installed, it should also appear in Libre Office; there is no need (and as far as I know, no way) to separately install it for that program.
This has fixed my issue. Thanks a million.

Return to “Beginner Questions”