Update Manager does not update. dpkg unrecoverable fatal error 'cinnamon-l10n' input/output error

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
spbrspbr
Level 1
Level 1

Update Manager does not update. dpkg unrecoverable fatal error 'cinnamon-l10n' input/output error

Post by spbrspbr » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:18 am

Complete newbie here. After installation, Update Manager does not update. I get the following error

Code: Select all

dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
 reading files list for package 'cinnamon-l10n': Input/output error
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
I've found similar posts but none with this particular error. I've tried the recommendations from

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
I've also tried

sudo apt dist-upgrade
I still get the same error above.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Update Manager does not update. dpkg unrecoverable fatal error 'cinnamon-l10n' input/output error

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:08 am

input/output error on reading a file usually means your drive is damaged. Try if you get an error message on either of these:

cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/cinnamon-l10n.list

cat /var/lib/dpkg/info/cinnamon-l10n.md5sums
If not then maybe the file contents got corrupted (also not a good sign), so in that case try:

sudo rm -v /var/lib/dpkg/info/cinnamon-l10n.*; apt reinstall cinnamon-l10n
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Return to “Newbie Questions”