Data recover

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hasen39
Level 1
Level 1

Data recover

Post by hasen39 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi thank you for this community i solve many problems before by this community.

I have linux mint 18 and accidentally i delete a folder in my desktop and it was 180gb size but i remember after i write some files on desktop and i install test disk and i try to recover but it doesnt recover my data it process for 9hours and my disk become 0 byte free space but it doesnt see recovered file please help me i try this since last day

gittiest personITW
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Data recover

Post by gittiest personITW » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:59 pm

Hi,
First most important thing is not to write anything to that disk, or run anything from that disk, or boot from it.
If you tried to recover information from that disk back on to that disk, the chances are that some of the data has been overwritten. If a tiny bit of data from a file is overwritten then it usually makes the file irrecoverable depending on what the file is (for most people - unless you have a clean room, electron microscope, and possibly a government department to help you).

http://www.livecd.com/
https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

If you have a second drive to write to, try one of the above LiveDVD (I've never tried to recover anything from an EXT4 partition so not sure how effective the above are, but if you have a second disk to hand it shouldn't make anything worse than it is already).
Nothing to lose really.

It might be possible to fix your MBR/GPT (i assume this one) on the hard drive as it sounds like there is a problem if you have 0 Bytes free and you haven't written anything to the disk, but I would try a Live disk first.
Did some of the 180GB include any system files?

If you can post back with more info and let us know how that goes - that would be great.
Good luck.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:18 pm

hasen39 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:35 pm
Hi thank you for this community i solve many problems before by this community.

I have linux mint 18 and accidentally i delete a folder in my desktop and it was 180gb size but i remember after i write some files on desktop and i install test disk and i try to recover but it doesnt recover my data it process for 9hours and my disk become 0 byte free space but it doesnt see recovered file please help me i try this since last day
When you deleted the folder, did you use File Manager? If so, check your Trash. It may be there.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

hasen39
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hasen39 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Just i use right click and delete

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Recovering files using R-Linux -> viewtopic.php?t=265582

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:40 pm

hasen39 wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 pm
Just i use right click and delete
Sorry, but it has to be said. This is why you need data file backups. Once you've fixed the current problem as best you can, choose a backup strategy (choices include Back in Time and Grsync), set it up and keep it current. You need this for many reasons, of which accidental deletions is only one.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Newbie Questions”