Timeshift on usb stick [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Timeshift on usb stick [SOLVED]

Post by Howard_P »

I'm concerned about having adequate backup for my computer, system and data. Can I save a Timeshift snapshot on a usb stick and will that be adequate for backup? If yes, can you boot a computer from such a stick? Thanks -Howard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
derrick1120
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Timeshift on usb stick

Post by derrick1120 »

My understanding is that Timeshift's primary use is to save system settings, and not users data ( though it can save this).

Here is another thread where this was discussed - viewtopic.php?f=18&t=300435&p=1676899&h ... t#p1676899
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

Timeshift is an incremental backup type of tool. It picks up changes, rather than backing up files. It's useful in helping to recover to a previous stable position, for instance if you load a new kernel (or update an application) and it causes some instability or undesirable features, Timeshift will help the user roll back to the stable position.

If you want an actual backup, then one of the rsync based tools (i.e., Grsync or rsync itself) will be much more useful, and will give you a more comprehensive backup. The backup itself will not necessarily boot up just like the original, because it will have, at the least a different UUID. That can be overcome, but the purpose of a backup is to help you recover from something more catastrophic like accidentally erasing a directory or partition or even worse a hardware failure.

A backup is essential to your system, Timeshift is useful for your system.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

If I understood the OP correctly, the question is not so much about what Timeshift does, but rather where to save the snapshots it makes.

If we assume that the main purpose of using Timeshift is as a system-restore tool, then it makes sense to save its snapshots on a partition, or drive, other than the one you are using and wish to "rescue".

So.... the Timeshift snapshots could be saved on a separate partition on the same hard drive. That's what I do on my main computer, where I have a separate DATA partition. So if my Mint system crashes or won't boot, I have (at least in theory) the option of booting into a live session and then restoring from the snapshots on that DATA partition. That however won't help if the hard drive itself develops a problem and won't function.

The next option is to save the Timeshift snapshots on to a separate external hard drive. This gives better insurance against both hardware and software failure.

In principle, therefore, it should be possible - and an equally valid option - to save the Timeshift snapshots on to a USB stick. It is after all just another external drive. I do this on my spare laptop, which has very little on it other than the OS, and where I don't make scheduled snapshots but just create one at the time of any major system-update (and then delete previous older ones).

One key point is to ensure the USB stick has enough capacity, especially if you schedule regular or frequent Timeshift snapshots - they can take up a lot of space very quickly.

The other point (and I confess my own lack of knowledge) is that I don't know if Timeshift snapshots are themselves - so to speak - "bootable". If your system crashes, or fails to boot, I had always assumed that if you needed to restore from a Timeshift snapshot (wherever it was stored) you would probably need to boot up into a Live session (from DVD, USB stick, or some sort of recovery program). From there you would then (I assume) have to use Timeshift to be able to "see" and restore from, the snapshots saved on the USB stick....

I hope my understanding is accurate. Perhaps others who have regularly experimented with Timeshift restorations can comment further or correct any inaccuracies...
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Howard.

Yes, you can store a Timeshift snapshot on a USB stick providing it is big enough, but I don't believe you can boot from it.

More importantly Timeshift is designed only for storing your system settings, not your personal data, because system changes are few while data changes are so frequent as to be almost continuous. Timeshift can be made to do what you want, but it's a clumsy way of achieving a total backup. You would be better advised to have Timeshift for your system and an alternative for your data.

The subject has been much debated on this forum recently, so I suggest you search for the relevant topics where you will find plenty of opinions and solutions.
Cliff Coggin
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

Thanks to everyone, I clearly need to work out a more precise question, but what has been posted answered the question I posed. -Howard
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Timeshift on usb stick [SOLVED]

Post by br1anstorm »

Howard,

cliffcoggin is right - there are several threads on the forum about how to organise "backups" - of system and/or data.

It's an area where there is no single correct answer, and a choice of software options. I still wrestle with the question of what is the best strategy. Personally I rely on three main elements:

1) a disk image - using Clonezilla or ReDo - as an ultimate failsafe insurance if it all goes south. But not something I do regularly or frequently;

2) a system snapshot - using Timeshift - to preserve my system-settings and (if ever needed) to do a restore of the OS. I take a Timeshift snapshot manually before each significant update (eg to the kernel) so that I can revert to the previous state if the update doesn't work;

3) protection of my important data (photos, correspondence, essential documents) by keeping them on a separate Data partition, by burning photos, documents and music tracks on to DVDs (almost as an archive), and by using a backup programme (BackInTime or DejaDup) to back up stuff I am currently working on or which may not necessarily need to be archived for the long term.

This thread viewtopic.php?f=90&t=295753 is one of many which discuss the subject.

Return to “Beginner Questions”