Can I install xfce from mate then remove mate in 19.2?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Can I install xfce from mate then remove mate in 19.2?

Post by guythp »

Good afternoon, sorry to ask (I have searched the forum and online but the solutions seem to be for older versions on mint and options given don't apply).

I have an existing 19.2 MATE laptop that I would like to install the XFCE desktop onto and move across to. I've iinstalled xfce meta and xfce goodies from the software manager and turned automatic log in off, but there's no option to choose xfce at any point.
Unfortunately it's not as straight forward as just installing a xfce from a usb stick as I don't want to lose data already on the laptop so I'm wondering if it's possible to install xfce from within the mate environment, log in to the xfce desktop and then remove mate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for your time. Also apologies for posting this in the newbie section as I wasn't sure which part of the desktop section to post it in.

Guy
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can I install xfce from mate then remove mate in 19.2?

Post by xenopeek »

Have you installed mint-meta-xfce package as well? I think that should suffice to find the Xfce session option on the login screen.

Personally I would recommend making a new user account for using Xfce, so you avoid loading MATE stuff when running Xfce session and vice versa. Once you have the new user account set up in Xfce as you like it you can move over your files from the old user account that you used on MATE and after removing MATE (which will an involved process if you want to be thorough) you can remove the old user account.
ajgringo619
Level 8
Level 8

Post by ajgringo619 »

+1 on xenopeek's advice. I did the same thing, switching from XFCE to Cinnamon, and it worked without a hitch.
Mint 20.1 XFCE [kernel 5.4.0-66-generic]
Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz w/32 GB RAM
GTX 1070 w/8GB RAM [460.39]
guythp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by guythp »

Thanks! I'd like to say I installed that and all went well, but I already had it installed.

What I hadn't done was click on the little icon and found the pop-up giving the option to select xfce from the login, so is my face red.

So, one last question I promise, if I then remove mate from software manager, will mint then default into xfce on booting?

Return to “Newbie Questions”