Minor LogIn problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Minor LogIn problem

Post by Reorx »

This morning I attempted to login as a "regular user" on my Mint 7 system. I got an error message that read "Users $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by others." but the system let me login anyway... I was able to figure out what the problem was and I was able to fix it but my question is this >>> Can anyone shed some light on how this occurred in the first place - i.e. what caused the permissions to change from what they were in the past???

The only thing I can think of is that yesterday I opened Computer>FIlesystem>home and copied my user folder to an external USB HD in an attempt to back it up. The copy operation seemed to work without incident. Could this have caused my problem and if so, can someone explain why or refer me to a reference that will? As an additional thought, can I expect to find other problems as a result of this error?

Thanx,

- R -
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
proxima_centauri

Re: Minor LogIn problem

Post by proxima_centauri »

Haven't seen that bug in a while. I can't remember what causes it, but pretty sure this was the solution, in terminal:

Code: Select all

chmod 644 .dmrc && chmod 700 ~ 
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I did >>>
chmod 644 .dmrc
cd ..
chmod 744 <directory name>

and that seems to have fixed things...

I am hoping to find out the cause of the problem so I can avoid repeating it! :) Also, if I can determine the cause, I can (hopefully) research what else might have been "altered".

- R -
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

So after fixing the problem I decided to try to reproduce it...

I logged into a "regular user" session and plugged in my external USB HD. I then opened Computer>FIlesystem>Home and right clicked my username folder... I then selected "copy"... then I used right click>paste to copy the folder to the external USB HD. I then unmouned the USB HD and then shut down my computer with Menu>Quit>Shut Down. I waited a minute and then turned my computer back on and tried to login as the same "regular user" and got the same error message as in my original post!!! :shock:

Can someone enlighten me as to why this happens... is it a "bug" or is my system functioning correctly and I just need to learn more about "how to" and "how NOT to" copy...

OBTW, the user home folder (and all of its contents) on the USB HD have "root" as the owner... not exactly what I expected either...

Image Image Image
cdysthe

Post by cdysthe »

Reorx wrote:So after fixing the problem I decided to try to reproduce it...

I logged into a "regular user" session and plugged in my external USB HD. I then opened Computer>FIlesystem>Home and right clicked my username folder... I then selected "copy"... then I used right click>paste to copy the folder to the external USB HD. I then unmouned the USB HD and then shut down my computer with Menu>Quit>Shut Down. I waited a minute and then turned my computer back on and tried to login as the same "regular user" and got the same error message as in my original post!!! :shock:

Can someone enlighten me as to why this happens... is it a "bug" or is my system functioning correctly and I just need to learn more about "how to" and "how NOT to" copy...

OBTW, the user home folder (and all of its contents) on the USB HD have "root" as the owner... not exactly what I expected either...
I am seeing this on two different Mint 7 machines: Permission error message when logging in to my user account for .dmrc. Even if I change permission according to the error message it's back to the wrong ones at next reboot and login. The message is:

"Users $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. Users $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by others."

This happened after a recent update, but I do not know which. It's a minor issue, but I would like to find out what causes it.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Could one of our local Mint Gurus please lend some wisdom to this issue (thread)...

Thanx! :)

- Michael -

Image Image Image
cdysthe

Re: Minor LogIn problem [RESOLVED]

Post by cdysthe »

I have found a fix here:

http://shorl.com/drudrisohikuji

I had to follow all the procedures in this post to fix the problem.

I still do not know why it happened in the first place, or if it will return. So far the error message has been gone for a couple of days.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

cdysthe;

In a post above I wrote (highlights, etc. added for emphasis)
Reorx wrote:So after fixing the problem I decided to try to reproduce it...

OBTW, the user home folder (and all of its contents) on the USB HD have "root" as the owner... not exactly what I expected either... (because I was logged in as a regular user and not root at the time of the copy/paste operation)
I thank you for offering a fix but another poster and I both discussed the fix earlier in the thread >>>
proxima_centauri wrote:Haven't seen that bug in a while. I can't remember what causes it, but pretty sure this was the solution, in terminal:

Code: Select all

chmod 644 .dmrc && chmod 700 ~ 
and
Reorx wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I did >>>
chmod 644 .dmrc
cd ..
chmod 744 <directory name>

and that seems to have fixed things...
>>> I await Guru wisdom regarding permissions changes caused by a simple (GUI) copy/paste operation executed by a regular user and not root

Image Image Image
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Thanx Dr. H! :)

Image Image Image

Return to “Beginner Questions”