Install Virtualbox

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Netherprovinc3
Level 3
Level 3

Install Virtualbox

Post by Netherprovinc3 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:24 pm

I would like to get Virtualbox installed in a manner that's easy to install and maintain (security updates).
My plan is to run Windows 10 64 bit for just one program. I might eventually have 2 programs running in the virtual machine, in Windows 10.

In the software center, I see
1) Virtualbox
X86 virtualization solution - Qt based user interface
2) Virtualbox (base)
X86 virtualization solution - base binaries
3) Virtualization-dkms
X86 virtualization solution - kernel module sources for dkms
4) Virtualbox-ext-pack
Extra capabilities for VirtualBox, downloader
5) Virtualbox-guest-dkms
X86 virtualization solution - guest addition module source for dkms

Should I install 1, 2, & 4 ?

Also I read here
https://itsfoss.com/install-virtualbox-ubuntu/
that you can install Virtualbox with

Code: Select all

sudo apt install virtualbox
Does that just install Virtualbox (base) or what does that do.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Install Virtualbox

Post by Pierre » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:32 am

whilst that VirtualBox is available in Software Manager,
- this is one program, that it's often an better idea, to get it direct:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
- - so download the VirtualBox 6.0.10 for Linux and install that version.
that is also the 64 bit version, as well .. the Guest Additions are in-built, as well.

but, you will have to install those Guest Additions, from within the Guest System itself.

does your Host Machine, have at least 8Gb of available memory ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:43 am

You might need to install the VirtualBox 6.0.10 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack as well..

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-65-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:55 am

Back in Mint 18.1, it was easy to install VBox from repo because there was a metapackage which brought in all the components you needed. Looking in 19.x, that seems to have been dropped. And while there are notes on what packages are needed, they're neither clear nor complete. So, I think you'll be much better off downloading directly from Oracle.

Here's how I do it, based on something MintBean posted a couple years ago. Copy and run one line at a time in Terminal. I'm assuming you don't have anything VBox on your system yet (if so, has to be purged before running this). Take a manual Timeshift snapshot before running and only run once.

Code: Select all

echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bionic contrib" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list 
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - 
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - 
apt update 
apt install virtualbox-6.0
Then you have to download the current extension pack. Start VBox. Select File > Preferences > Extensions. Navigate to file on your computer and select. You'll have to accept a license for the extension pack to install. In future, when VBox updates, you'll be prompted for update of the extension pack, but VBox will handle the download so it's a little easier.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Netherprovinc3
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Netherprovinc3 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:27 am

Pierre wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:32 am
does your Host Machine, have at least 8Gb of available memory ?
No, I don't have 8GB but I am planning to install that amount shortly.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:04 am

Out of curiosity, took a shot at installing VBox from repo into a test box. The simple apt install virtualbox wasn't enough. Piecing together notes in Synaptic, ended up with apt install virtualbox virtualbox-qt virtualbox-ext-pack libqt5opengl5, which also brings in a few other packages. Seems to work, at least was able to Add and Start one of my existing VMs. I still recommend direct install from Oracle, but you could try doing it this way if you like. Bear in mind that I've not run VBox this way, though, so can't promise there isn't something missing.

ETA: This morning, did a second experiment, setting up a new VM. Worked fine until rebooted the installed system to insert the Guest Additions CD. Not available. Notably, we've had several threads about problems with guest additions in the repo version of VBox. Shutdown the VM, then install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso. Still won't insert. So, pursue the option (also offered the first time) to download from Oracle. That works, and even is scripted to insert the virtual CD, which then ran as usual. Bottom line, at least twice as much work as direct install. And I still don't know whether I have everything.

ETA2: With a little research this evening, was able to find on Stack Exchange an explanation of how one is supposed to use the virtualbox-guest-additions-iso package. Would be nice if Ubuntu had a tutorial on how to set up the repo version of VirtualBox, but if there is one I can't find it. Whereas, with direct install, I have a very nice Oracle manual. Another reason, IMHO, to use direct install rather than repo. YMMV.
Last edited by pbear on Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:31 am

pbear wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:04 am
Out of curiosity, took a shot at installing VBox from repo into a test box. The simple apt install virtualbox wasn't enough. Piecing together notes in Synaptic, ended up with apt install virtualbox virtualbox-qt virtualbox-ext-pack libqt5opengl5, which also brings in a few other packages. Seems to work, at least was able to Add and Start one of my existing VMs. I still recommend direct install from Oracle, but you could try doing it this way if you like. Bear in mind that I've not run VBox this way, though, so can't promise there isn't something missing.
The version in the repos is very old and doesn't always work. It should be avoided at all costs.

Cheers.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:52 am

catweazel wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:31 am
The version in the repos is very old and doesn't always work. It should be avoided at all costs.

Cheers.
That was true of 18.x, where at this point in the Mint cycle the repo version of VBox was no longer being supported. This time around, someone (presumably Canonical) is maintaining the repo within the Oracle support window. Right now, repo is on 5.2.32, the latest version in the 5.2 branch. To be sure, 5.2 isn't receiving any more features, but it's getting security updates. Per Oracle, "Version 5.2 will remain supported until July 2020."

Netherprovinc3
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Netherprovinc3 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:17 am

Thanks, guys. I got the ram installed (mysteriously wouldn't boot until I took the ram out once, and then put it back in). Then, I got virtual box set up. I didn't install the extension pack (I don't need to use Windows 10 with any USB devices).

When you open the virtual box, at the top, select Devices -> insert guest CD images. Then look at the CD drive using file manager. Then run VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64. For one thing, it makes the size of the virtual machine window reasonable.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon

Return to “Newbie Questions”