Trackpoint speed (again again)?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
hanshdk
Level 1
Level 1

Trackpoint speed (again again)?

Post by hanshdk »

Hi
I installed LinuxMint on my lenovo x61s laptop with one of those little red trackpoints. The sensitivity of this red button is quite low (mouse speed is really slow). Moreover, the scroll button is not working. The last week I've been trying to solve this with various google searches... Installed gsynaptics... but it won't start, because of the "ususal":
GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in xorg.conf or XF86Config to use GSynaptics
I tried to enable shmconfig,but noluck so far. Any one have some suggestions?
My xorg.conf:
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "on"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
Option "EmulateWheel" "on"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "2"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "SynapticsMouse1" "AlwaysCore"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection
My shmconfig.fdi:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<device>
<match key="input.x11_driver" string="synaptics">
<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">True</merge>
</match>
</device>
</deviceinfo>
I am very thankful for any reply!
Regards
HH

barrieluv
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Trackpoint speed (again again)?

Post by barrieluv »

I got it going after reading this.
EeePC 701 Ubuntu 10.04 || HP Pavilion DV6 Linux Mint 17 Mate Edition

uilenspiegel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by uilenspiegel »

I've just posted about how to get the middle mouse button scrolling working here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 43#p178743

As for trackpoint acceleration and sensitivity:

First, I haven't found a good definition of sensitivity anywhere, but if you're using the Control Center > Mouse sliders to control these values, it appears that setting sensitivity to High will make your mouse movement deathly slow, whereas setting it to Low makes it quite fast --- just the opposite of what I would have expected, given my understanding of the English words in play. So try that for starters. And if you can confirm that this is the way it works for you too (or correct me), or if someone can explain how sensitivity is supposed to work with respect to the words "high," "low" and "sensitivity," that will be cool.

Second, the same thinkwiki page (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_co ... TrackPoint) that I reference in the above-linked post explains how to modify trackpoint settings without resorting to the xorg.conf file (which it indicates is an outmoded way of controlling input devices). Basically, you can set speed and sensitivity to any value between 1 and 255 by creating a file /etc/udev/rules.d/10-trackpoint.rules like this:

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/10-trackpoint.rules

with for example the following content (I'm still working on finding values I'm happy with, but examples out there suggest that medium speed and high sensitivity is a favored combination):

SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", ATTR{speed}="120", ATTR{sensitivity}="170"

You can make these settings take immediate effect with the following command:

sudo udevadm test /devices/platform/i8042/serio1

which gives you a nice way to adjust and test repeatedly until you have values that you're comfortable with. Note that there are a number of other attributes besides speed and sensitivity that you can adjust (not sure that you'll want to, but they're there); these are detailed --- along with default values if you want to roll back to where you started --- in the thinkwiki article. You can also check current settings by looking in the various files in the /devices/platform/i8042/serio1 directory. Finally, the thinkwiki article also suggests how to make these settings persist on reboot.

Edit: or, if you're using GNOME, you can just get the nice configure-trackpoint UI to do all of the above (I just installed it and it's certainly convenient):

sudo apt-get install sysfsutils
and then get the .deb file from the configure-trackpoint sourceforge project. See overview here: http://tpctl.sourceforge.net/configure-trackpoint.html

Now, it's pretty clear to me that this second method of adjusting mouse settings is not the same one that's being used by the Control Center > Mouse sliders, and it would be nice to know how they interoperate. I'll also note that I'm able to get much faster mouse movement through the .rules file approach than I am through the Control Center sliders. But at any rate it seems that this gives you a few different ways to try to get the behavior you want going.

hanshdk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hanshdk »

Thanks a lot, that helped me a lot. I'm still not a 100 pct. happy with my configuration, but I'm getting there. Thank's!

Return to “Newbie Questions”