Nemo and its 1001 flaws! :( Bookmark icons change on click

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Nemo and its 1001 flaws! :( Bookmark icons change on click

Post by zcot »

I don't know. Something's up.

I've never even heard of that. :shock: Any search result I find is related to kde and plasma.

I have a sense that the system is quite a mix of packages and with conflict going on with it. And that may also have something to do with some of these 1000 issues.

Any idea I have is probably extreme. stuff like getting into the secondary user account and deleting ~/.config which should be rebuilt as needed during the next session. Or a reinstall of mint-meta-cinnamon but that's a system wide command so maybe that fixes the one user but breaks the other one.

I don't know at this point.

Whether you delete the broken account or not, you could create a new one and see what you get.

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

With a little help from gm10 i fixed some keyboard and file sorting issues today, so i feel confident! :mrgreen:
(But this would be my downfall..... :roll: )

That other account was just for backup if this one gets effed again.. did nothing fancy with it, so deleting is no problem. But for i do i first make a new one and try to logon with that one. If it got the same thing happening then it is not my backup account i guess.

I'll be back! (or not) ;)
Het leven is net een kartbaan; Sensatie, adrenaline en veel te snel voorbij!
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

Well.. and here i am again... the gui to add a user does not work! If i click on "add" i get a popup, then i fill in a name and username and click on add.... nothing happens! :( The popup stays open, but does nothing.
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

zcot wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:27 pm
I have a sense that the system is quite a mix of packages and with conflict going on with it. And that may also have something to do with some of these 1000 issues.
Your sense is close.. i also think i had too many shit installed. Problem is that in the beginning i did not know how mint was build up.. how the structure is. Not that i know a lot about it now, but i see so much different types of packages. gtk different versions, kde stuff, lot of qt etc. and i don't really know if that's a good or bad thing to mix those?
The problem is i spend so much time constant fixing my linux that i spend to little to learn about that shit! :(
Not that i don't like fixing it, no better learning process than that, but i wish i knew more about the buildup..
I guess after the first crash i could have better start a new installation! At the end that costs me less time/stress and more time to do other things. And maybe my opinion about mint (especially nemo) would be a lot better! ;)
zcot wrote: Any idea I have is probably extreme. stuff like getting into the secondary user account and deleting ~/.config which should be rebuilt as needed during the next session. Or a reinstall of mint-meta-cinnamon but that's a system wide command so maybe that fixes the one user but breaks the other one.

I don't know at this point.

Whether you delete the broken account or not, you could create a new one and see what you get.
Getting in my second account is no option! Because of missing source.list
Making a new account is at the moment also no option, because the gui won't let me make one. And i don't know yet how to do it in a terminal. I have to dive into that first..
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

I just made a little booboo.. uninstalled pulseaudio because of a faulty equalizer module that i could not get rid of, because of bad stuttering sound. But that took cinnamon-settings and cinnamon-session with it!!!
After a boot i got a xfce like window with the message that xsession could not be started because of mising cinnamon-session or some of that kind.. whuuut??? :shock: :shock:
Removing your sound drivers and shit removes half your operating system???? What the...
I was happy i could open firefox with shortcut keys and browse to the logs.. so that i came to the conclusion is just throw half my OS away!? I can't recall that was mentioned giving de remove command? :mrgreen:
A bit of google luckily brought me the solution to sudo apt install cinnamon and all is back again, and pulseaudio is working again and WITHOUT that shitty module!! So after all i got what i wanted, but scared the hell out of me haha.. i wish i went to the lottery today! :mrgreen:

But is it normal that half cinnamon disappears if you remove pulseaudio?
Idem ditto with removing your network manager (i read on that page with the solution)
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

RemonK wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:15 pm
different types of packages. gtk different versions, kde stuff, lot of qt etc. and i don't really know if that's a good or bad thing to mix those?
The problem is i spend so much time constant fixing my linux that i spend to little to learn about that shit! :(
Not that i don't like fixing it, no better learning process than that, but i wish i knew more about the buildup..
I guess after the first crash i could have better start a new installation! At the end that costs me less time/stress and more time to do other things. And maybe my opinion about mint (especially nemo) would be a lot better! ;)
the variations of gtk and qt do coexist pretty well. And if there is something stand alone from kde, sure. But actually kde is quite an integrated system of things, so that might be where some issue started. I did a test run on installing kdeconnect from the default repository and it will require the install of 97 packages for that 1 program. (kde uses qt just for the information)

And absolutely having to fix something is a great experience, I agree. :D

After the first crash you can just use Timeshift, that's why it's there.
RemonK wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:39 pm
That other account was just for backup
Timeshift is a simple backup tool exactly for this type of situation where the culprit problem might be in the system files(timeshift strictly for system files). A backup user account is a good idea too, but if/when the system files get bombed then you can just drop back to the previous snapshot. I'm just mentioning this for future reference. ;)

RemonK wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:15 pm
Getting in my second account is no option! Because of missing source.list
Making a new account is at the moment also no option, because the gui won't let me make one. And i don't know yet how to do it in a terminal. I have to dive into that first..
I wonder if there is a permission issue? You can check some things.

this will list files in ~ owned by root: ls -al ~ | grep root there shouldn't be anything notable.

the groups command would show for example: zcot adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare so sudo should be available.

I'm not sure why you couldn't run a new user but maybe your current user has less permissions than being able to administrate?

RemonK wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:03 pm
pulseaudio
I don't/didn't think pulseaudio is related to cinnamon, but glad you got that worked out!

I ran this test:

Code: Select all

zcot@zcot-MF-7373:~$ apt remove --dry-run pulseaudio
[sudo] password for zcot:           
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  indicator-sound indicator-sound-gtk2 libcanberra-pulse pulseaudio pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 149 not upgraded.
Purg indicator-sound-gtk2 [12.10.0.1-0ubuntu6]
Purg indicator-sound [12.10.2+16.04.20160714-1linuxmint1]
Purg libcanberra-pulse [0.30-5ubuntu1]
Purg pulseaudio-module-bluetooth [1:11.1-1ubuntu7.2]
Purg pulseaudio [1:11.1-1ubuntu7.2]
When doing things that potentially have deep system consequences, you can check it out first. --simulate, or --dry-run the command. check out apt --help to get some ideas.

So: apt install -s kdeconnect

there's a reinstall command too, so that way a remove command doesn't go any farther than you think it should.

ANY time when using a ppa you can check it out, and see the result first. Take the example above it shows "0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 to remove and 149 not upgraded." (I have a couple weeks worth of updates that I haven't done yet, which is the 149 not upgraded)

But when a test run shows something like "146 upgraded, 219 newly installed", or similar for removal that's a very bad sign and you should definitely want to dig into that further for the reason of what is actually going on.

Or don't waste the time, just get a good timeshift snapshot, then install whatever, and you can go back easily. ;)

Typically the packages available in the default repo should be pretty well behaved, but as soon as we start adding 3rd party repositories or .debs, or other packages it has the potential to be detrimental, and that's even more so the time to do a --dry-run and check out the situation.

I know that doesn't help the current situation, but just putting it up there.

If you want to try to chase out the situation I'll be glad to help, but not sure what to look at at this moment, at least as far as the deep package system.

You can do something extreme and start making re-installations of the base system, but that's probably going to get worse(undoing a lot of customizations) before it gets better.

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

zcot wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:41 pm
the variations of gtk and qt do coexist pretty well. And if there is something stand alone from kde, sure. But actually kde is quite an integrated system of things, so that might be where some issue started. I did a test run on installing kdeconnect from the default repository and it will require the install of 97 packages for that 1 program. (kde uses qt just for the information)
I think the problem has indeed to do with kde and plasma! I tried again logon to the backup account and noticed shortly a plasma logo at the bottom right of the screen! So i searched in the xsesion-error log of that account and there are a lot of plasma references! :(
Why did that happened?? Is it because i installed kde connect?

dbus-update-activation-environment: setting MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/plasma.mandatory.path
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting S_COLORS=auto
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_GREETER_DATA_DIR=/var/lib/lightdm-data/backupadmin
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting USER=backupadmin
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DESKTOP_SESSION=plasma
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT4_IM_MODULE=xim
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting TEXTDOMAINDIR=/usr/share/locale/
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/plasma.default.path
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting PWD=/home/backupadmin
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting HOME=/home/backupadmin
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting TEXTDOMAIN=im-config
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting QT_ACCESSIBILITY=1
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/plasma:/home/backupadmin/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share:/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP=plasma
zcot wrote: After the first crash you can just use Timeshift, that's why it's there.
Timeshift is a simple backup tool exactly for this type of situation where the culprit problem might be in the system files(timeshift strictly for system files). A backup user account is a good idea too, but if/when the system files get bombed then you can just drop back to the previous snapshot. I'm just mentioning this for future reference. ;)
I know, but the first week i didn't think of backups and stuff.. and that first crash happened after a few days! I wanted to bind my mousebuttons and found a howto online. The first step was going to tty and stop lightdm... and ohboy did it stop! :mrgreen: Compleet system crash and been almost a week trying to get back into my account. But i had to make a new one. That's were the first Swap errors began! :mrgreen:
And yesterday i came to the conclusion that the setup of my timeshift was wrong! If there was a crash or so, i had 1 day to put things back or they were overwritten! Pretty dum.. no week backup, only every boot, every hour and 1 a day. :roll:

zcot wrote: I wonder if there is a permission issue? You can check some things.
this will list files in ~ owned by root: ls -al ~ | grep root there shouldn't be anything notable.

admin@P3300LX:~$ ls -al ~ | grep root
drwxr-xr-x  5 root  root     4096 aug 18 06:49 ..
drwx------  3 root  root     4096 feb 10  2019 .dbus
drwxr-xr-x  8 root  root     4096 aug 17 17:22 .debug
drwx------  2 root  root     4096 feb 16  2019 .gvfs
-rw-------  1 root  root  3526600 aug 17 17:22 perf.data
-rw-------  1 root  root  4640336 aug 17 17:08 perf.data.old
drwxrwxr-x 20 root  admin    4096 aug 31 14:39 .themes
So you say this is not correct?

zcot wrote:]
the groups command would show for example: zcot adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare so sudo should be available.

admin@P3300LX:~$ groups
admin daemon adm disk lp mail dialout cdrom sudo audio dip www-data backup operator list irc video games users netdev ssl-cert lpadmin avahi-autoipd ssh bluetooth avahi pulse sambashare vboxusers vnstat bind mysql vboxsf motion wireshark rk backupadmin Admin
zcot wrote: I'm not sure why you couldn't run a new user but maybe your current user has less permissions than being able to administrate?
Nah don't think so, i have almost all the permissions. :mrgreen:

zcot wrote: I don't/didn't think pulseaudio is related to cinnamon, but glad you got that worked out!
It sure is!! The online fix i found warned people not to just uninstall pulseaudio because that could also remove cinnamon-settings and cinnamon-session. Of course i found that info after i removed pulseaudio! :roll: :mrgreen:

zcot wrote: When doing things that potentially have deep system consequences, you can check it out first. --simulate, or --dry-run the command. check out apt --help to get some ideas.
Nice!! I did not know that, thanx! Should have known that 8 months ago! ;)

zcot wrote: But when a test run shows something like "146 upgraded, 219 newly installed", or similar for removal that's a very bad sign and you should definitely want to dig into that further for the reason of what is actually going on.
Or don't waste the time, just get a good timeshift snapshot, then install whatever, and you can go back easily. ;)
Yes i am more aware of that lately. But sadly i did not in the beginning.
And Timeshift did not work for a few months i got it just last week running again. No clue why it suddenly stopped? But last backup was from april.

zcot wrote: If you want to try to chase out the situation I'll be glad to help, but not sure what to look at at this moment, at least as far as the deep package system.
I guess that plasma thing causes a lot of shit, especially with my backup account! I don't know why that is installed, because that's a complete other desktop and i did not install it for sure! That must have come with kde connect i think??? But it is a shame if i have to remove that tool, because it is very handy!!

zcot wrote: You can do something extreme and start making re-installations of the base system, but that's probably going to get worse(undoing a lot of customizations) before it gets better.
I think if i have to go that deep, i rather do a fresh install and spend my time with customize the things i already did. I don't think this install will get any better. Too much rainbows done to it! :mrgreen: But thanx anyway for your effort to help me!
If i can at least keep it going for this year then i can test ,try and learn some more. I rather F this up then a new install.
I am already backing up system files that i changed and making notes about things i change.
Only thing i wonder is there is some kind of script that i can run after fresh install that installs all the programs back that i want?

And now i'm going to sleep for a few hours, it's 6 in the morning! :oops:
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

I looked in /home/backupadmin/.config to search for clues..

startupconfig

#! /bin/sh
# kcminputrc Mouse cursorTheme 'breeze_cursors'
kcminputrc_mouse_cursortheme=breeze_cursors
# kcminputrc Mouse cursorSize ''
kcminputrc_mouse_cursorsize=''
# ksplashrc KSplash Theme Breeze
ksplashrc_ksplash_theme=Breeze
# ksplashrc KSplash Engine KSplashQML
ksplashrc_ksplash_engine=KSplashQML
# kdeglobals KScreen ScreenScaleFactors ''
kdeglobals_kscreen_screenscalefactors=''
# kcmfonts General forceFontDPI 0
kcmfonts_general_forcefontdpi=0

startupconfigfiles

kcminputrc Mouse cursorTheme 'breeze_cursors'
!/home/backupadmin/.config/kcminputrc
!/etc/xdg/xdg-plasma/kcminputrc
!/etc/xdg/kcminputrc
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/config/kcminputrc
!/usr/share/plasma/config/kcminputrc
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/config/kcminputrc
!/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/config/kcminputrc
!/usr/local/share/config/kcminputrc
!/usr/share/config/kcminputrc
kcminputrc Mouse cursorSize ''
!/home/backupadmin/.config/kcminputrc
!/etc/xdg/xdg-plasma/kcminputrc
!/etc/xdg/kcminputrc
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/config/kcminputrc
!/usr/share/plasma/config/kcminputrc
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/config/kcminputrc
!/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/config/kcminputrc
!/usr/local/share/config/kcminputrc
!/usr/share/config/kcminputrc
ksplashrc KSplash Theme Breeze
!/home/backupadmin/.config/ksplashrc
!/etc/xdg/xdg-plasma/ksplashrc
!/etc/xdg/ksplashrc
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/config/ksplashrc
!/usr/share/plasma/config/ksplashrc
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/config/ksplashrc
!/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/config/ksplashrc
!/usr/local/share/config/ksplashrc
!/usr/share/config/ksplashrc
ksplashrc KSplash Engine KSplashQML
!/home/backupadmin/.config/ksplashrc
!/etc/xdg/xdg-plasma/ksplashrc
!/etc/xdg/ksplashrc
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/config/ksplashrc
!/usr/share/plasma/config/ksplashrc
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/config/ksplashrc
!/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/config/ksplashrc
!/usr/local/share/config/ksplashrc
!/usr/share/config/ksplashrc
kdeglobals KScreen ScreenScaleFactors ''
/home/backupadmin/.config/kdeglobals
!/etc/xdg/xdg-plasma/kdeglobals
!/etc/xdg/kdeglobals
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/config/kdeglobals
!/usr/share/plasma/config/kdeglobals
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/config/kdeglobals
!/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/config/kdeglobals
!/usr/local/share/config/kdeglobals
!/usr/share/config/kdeglobals
kcmfonts General forceFontDPI 0
!/home/backupadmin/.config/kcmfonts
!/etc/xdg/xdg-plasma/kcmfonts
!/etc/xdg/kcmfonts
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/config/kcmfonts
!/usr/share/plasma/config/kcmfonts
!/home/backupadmin/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share/config/kcmfonts
!/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share/config/kcmfonts
!/usr/local/share/config/kcmfonts
!/usr/share/config/kcmfonts

startupconfigkeys

kcminputrc Mouse cursorTheme 'breeze_cursors'
kcminputrc Mouse cursorSize ''
ksplashrc KSplash Theme Breeze
ksplashrc KSplash Engine KSplashQML
kdeglobals KScreen ScreenScaleFactors ''
kcmfonts General forceFontDPI 0

And some files beginning with k or kde...
Schermafdruk van 2019-09-05 13-48-03.png
Schermafdruk van 2019-09-05 13-48-03.png (17.83 KiB) Viewed 170 times
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

Duh.. :roll: :roll:
Forgot that you can choose how to login! I'm now working on my backup account.
kde-linux-mint-19.png

So, now i'm on my backup account i can finally check what i wanted to do! The bookmark icons of nemo! ;)
And as it seems, they function normally. I made a few bookmarks and if i click on them they stay normal!

(and i created a new user account)
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

All installed packages. I don't know, but i see a lot of plasma and kde. Some are propably used bij kde connect.

http://www.cobrasoft.nl/pics/packages_list.txt
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

zcot
Level 5
Level 5

Post by zcot »

I don't see anything particularly off about home, and groups, except for ~/.themes which has reaching implications, but I'm guessing that was done manually. But sudo chown -R $USER:$USER ~/.themes fixes that.

Great work on chasing the Plasma thing! Installing kdeconnect doesn't pull in a full desktop environment by itself but depends on what other packages have been installed too. In your package list there are plenty of plasma packages, but those are not required by kdeconnect so it was some other installation that provided that.

good work!

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

I did the chown thing and now the /.theme dir is mine. The sub dirs already where under my name.

About the plasma thing i really don't know how i got that? Lately i've been busy with my theme and tried different ones, maybe i installed plasma on accident, thinking it was a theme?? Else i don't know. I read some online info on removing it, but that takes some risk with it! It can brake cinnamon... so i think i let it be as it is. Only thing strange is that i can't make new users anymore.. a well, that's why i have my backup account for! ;)

But to get back ON topic... that icon problem in nemo is only relevant on my own account!
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

Return to “Newbie Questions”